I've sent back three Gibsons in a row now for horrendous tuning issues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Dec 20, 2017.

1. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

why don't you define what "keep pretty good tuning" and "absolute disaster" means to you and what you did with those disastrous guitars before you decided to send them back?

you know, right know you look like the most unlucky buyer on earth.

Rhythm Rocker and BADHAK like this.
  2. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

This is the big one. It's surprising how many people don't know that you have to tune up to pitch, give the string a good stretch, and adjust as needed. Following this method for 40+ years, I've never had tuning issues on any guitar, including eight Les Pauls (intonation is a different issue).

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Given how often this topic comes up I think we can assume that they figure wrong. A lot of companies have gotten really good at this sort of thing, while some haven't (and it's not just Gibson). Things have changed over the last few decades. The ability to control quality has improved dramatically at both the lower end and the higher end. I think consumers will always prefer a hassle free purchase and I don't think that's an unrealistic expectation.

4. james...

james... Member

"Keeps pretty good tuning" = tuning up the guitar takes maybe 20 seconds max. After that, it will stay in tune for at least 2-3 songs. Assuming strings are stretched and everything.

"Absolute disaster" = It takes more than a minute just to get it in tune at all, and after a couple of minutes of playing, strings have drifted and I need to retune, no matter how much graphite I use.

I shouldn't have to spend $100 at the guitar tech for a guitar I paid over 2 grand for.

5. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

I’ve never had good luck buying new Memphis Gibbys. In 2012, I bought three as well that all had issues.

In 2014, I purchased the best guitar I’ve ever owned: a 2014 R7, brand new. In hat same year, I purchased a used CS-336 in faded denim that is also equally impressive.

In my short time buying Gibbys, I’d have to wonder if the Nashville stuff is just that much better than the rest ...

6. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

I wanted an SG forever, wound up buying one new in 16' at guitarcenter and had nothing but tuning issues with it, gave it some time to adjust, add graphite to the nut, changed strings, gave it more time, issues persisted, returned it weeks later.

Bought another brand new 17' sg earlier this year at same place, first person to touch this guitar from the factory. Again nothing but issues with tuning, did all the same simple fixes but again, damn thing would constantly go out.
    Now to be fair, I refused to let GC touch and mess up my guitars even more, and I refused to pay my guy whatever it costs to get either of these guitars just to stay in tune, sorry a guitar in my opinion should at least be able to accomplish this or get past the opening riff of any tune.
    So this one was returned also.

So I took a leap of faith and bought a mid 2000 used beauty from a member here in the emporium and couldn't be happier, this thing doesn't go out of tune, leave it for weeks on end and it's there. I feel I got lucky.
    But again I am sure at some point the previous owner probably had it set up correctly.

7. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I just consider it part of guitar ownership. YMMV. A guitar that's perfect except for some residue in the nut slots is just fine with me. People who refuse to deal with that can send 'em on back and start a scathing Gibson hate thread. Someone else will buy those guitars.

8. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Call around and find out what rates are at various shops. Now call and find out what rates are at GOOD shops. Now figure out what GC Pays those "Techs". Still wanna use them?

No. People just like to h8. I actually see more Gibsons that have spectacular fretwork from the factory than any other brand. It's one of the few I can buy where I DO NOT expect to have to do extensive work to the guitar when new. Doesn't mean I don't occasionally see a dud, but a lot of the time all they need is a setup. Occassionally I have to slightly add fall-away in the frets at the end of the neck. On most guitars, I expect to have to do extensive fretwork; on some brands I expect to have to do a refret unless the action is going to be set high and buzzing is acceptable.

Then every guitar I've ever seen needs a repair from the factory. Set up = cut nuts slots, adjust bridge/saddles or adjust bridge/file saddles, adjust rod, set action, intonation. I have yet to see *ANY* guitar from *ANY* manufacturer at *ANY* price that therefore did not need repair right from the factory. 95% of them need fretwork as well as a setup, again, at any price point, from any manufacturer. A fair amount really need a refret from the factory, especially USA Fenders. Mexican Fenders are often very good; USA Fenders have almost universally embarrassingly bad board prep.

lemonman, Seth L and ixnay like this.
  9. voggin

voggin Member

Maybe they should include a small file with the truss rod wrench and an explanatory note. Something along the lines of "We try to ensure each guitar is shipped ready, but sometimes, blah blah blah, just drag this file along the inside of each nut slot." At least there wouldn't be any misunderstandings, plus it would be a cool little tool to have. And it would take considerably less time than re-packing and re-shipping a guitar.

There's a really good stringing/tuning video from a guy named Malikon from MLP. I string my guitars pretty much the same way. I have my tuner next to the guitar, and stretch and re-tune until it won't change pitch any more. Never have tuning issues (and I use a little nut sauce, but sometimes I forget and I still don't have any serious issues.)

10. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Nah that would just be something else for Guitar Center employees to remove from the case and claim it was never there. :rolleyes:

11. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

That's a beautiful guitar

Woollymonster likes this.
  12. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

I jumped around in the video looking for where the nut was added and tooled, but no luck. What did I miss?

13. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I bought a new 2016 R8 earlier this year and haven’t had a single tuning issue with it.

14. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

And the bone was cut exactly the same as the original? This is like saying, "I bought two lottery tickets and didn't win anything. But then, the day I wore a red shirt, I won! The obvious conclusion is..." It's true that bone (or TUSQ, for that matter) nuts are inherently a little slippier than plastic, but plastic nuts, properly cut, work well for millions of people. And bone nuts, improperly cut, don't.

ixnay likes this.
  15. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

I don't think you missed anything, I didn't see it either.

16. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the nut is put on right before of right after they put the frets in. The nut is slotted by the PLEK machine.

17. istantodf

istantodf Member

Sounds like a lot of people here either need a tech, or to learn how to set up their guitars themselves.

Seth L, Elantric and willyboy like this.
  18. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Both my 02 LP Standard + and 06 Faded LP Special have rock solid tuning. I can go a whole gig/reh, and even weeks without tuning. Both were bought used. The previous owner had the 02 set up at some point by one of the countries best Luthiers, but im not sure of the 06's history. The used 2012 Faded LP Special I had recently had rock solid tuning both before and after I had it setup to my tastes. Same with the 05 SG Standard. .......especially after I learnt how a SG likes to be held by both the fretting hand and the forearm of the strumming hand.

Now, many years ago I had a 95 LP Standard and a 07 Historic G0 that had tuning issues UNTIL I took them to a GOOD tech AND learnt a better re-stringing technique. Sure, some guitars are just lemons, but most tuning issues are easy fixes.

Should a US Gibson stay in tune straight outta the box ?? Probably should.

19. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Funny how guys accept that a $2500 guitar is OK if the nut needs work. IMO, that expensive of a guitar should play perfect out of the box. If it comes stock with 10's, the nut should be cut perfectly for 10's. Frets should be perfect as well. Not sure what I'm paying for at that price point??? Is it that much just for "Made in USA" on the headstock? seems a bit off to me.

jmcdona likes this.
  20. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Contrary to Mythbusters, sometimes you can’t polish a turd no matter what you do to it.

I gave the POS nut three chances with three different techs and the damn thing still didn’t work. They did their best and it wasn’t enough.

As soon as I replaced the nut with a bone nut, the guitar stayed in tune.

As much as you’d like to believe otherwise, the problem was the nut, not the setup.