• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I’ve tested the Nobels Odr-1 and…

Emiel

So...

I got mine at the same store after Jerry told me about it.
You have to LIKE YOUR CLEAN TONE.
If you are pushing lows already....nope.
But here's a great explanation.

I had gotten mine for $30 and let a client have it that used it on every song on a record :)

There's a big truth in that statement. I think a lot of the Nashville guys use big iron amps that are able to handle the low end response of the Nobels. A Princeton is a whole different thing, the low end on that amp is already flabby and adding more will just turn it into mush.

I had the Nobels ODR-1 reissue and now have the Nordland. It does everything the ODR-1 does and let you cut bass, cut/boost mids, decrease the compression. A fantastic pedal. But as with the King of Tone, it won't suddenly turn the average tone into something magically. Make sure you are happy with your basic tone and use it as another gain stage.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
There's a big truth in that statement. I think a lot of the Nashville guys use big iron amps that are able to handle the low end response of the Nobels. A Princeton is a whole different thing, the low end on that amp is already flabby and adding more will just turn it into mush.

I had the Nobels ODR-1 reissue and now have the Nordland. It does everything the ODR-1 does and let you cut bass, cut/boost mids, decrease the compression. A fantastic pedal. But as with the King of Tone, it won't suddenly turn the average tone into something magically. Make sure you are happy with your basic tone and use it as another gain stage.
Around the same time, I had a TS9 with the Keeley Less/More mod.
I loved that one

Vox66

Silver Supporting Member
I just got a ODR-1 a couple of days ago and it definitely has it’s place between my KOT, Hotcake and Keeley modded TS9. Me likey a lot!

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
I think Drive Pedals with a 3 Band Eq (Bass, Mids and Highs) are better than just have a Tone Knob.

Who doesn't want more options?

petty1818

So...

I got mine at the same store after Jerry told me about it.
But here's a great explanation.

I had gotten mine for $30 and let a client have it that used it on every song on a record :)

I don’t know, I love my clean tone and still find the ODR-1 to be a bit too bass heavy, even with the bass cut engaged. I mean I love the overdrive, but Nobels would sell a ton more if they even added an internal bass trim control.

What I find odd about Nobels is that they seem to know and acknowledge the shortcomings of the ODR, yet they do nothing about it. They posted a photo on Instagram a week ago of a player’s board where the guy had a true bypass looper switch on top of the ODR. The caption was along the lines of loving the ODR so much, but hating the bypassed tone that this was the next best thing. If you know about the crappy buffer then why not make it true bypass? Same goes with the excessive bass. Maybe even give players three settings for bass except for a simple switch that really doesn’t do much.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
I don’t know, I love my clean tone and still find the ODR-1 to be a bit too bass heavy, even with the bass cut engaged. I mean I love the overdrive, but Nobels would sell a ton more if they even added an internal bass trim control.

What I find odd about Nobels is that they seem to know and acknowledge the shortcomings of the ODR, yet they do nothing about it. They posted a photo on Instagram a week ago of a player’s board where the guy had a true bypass looper switch on top of the ODR. The caption was along the lines of loving the ODR so much, but hating the bypassed tone that this was the next best thing. If you know about the crappy buffer then why not make it true bypass? Same goes with the excessive bass. Maybe even give players three settings for bass except for a simple switch that really doesn’t do much.
They’re definitely specialized….and remember that they were $30 :)

Mike R.

Check out the Nordland ODR-C. Made by the creator of the Nobels and addresses all the stuff people have mentioned above.

Blurillaz

The general consensus considered them junk for many, many years (Ibanez 10 series, anyone?) until people saw them on session boards and decided they were the answer to any overdrive woe instead of specifically compensating for icepick tele bridge pickups into thin amps. I like the ODR-1, but people tend to overlook the reasons why they are being used so often primarily for country related genres.

Trick Fall

The general consensus considered them junk for many, many years (Ibanez 10 series, anyone?) until people saw them on session boards and decided they were the answer to any overdrive woe instead of specifically compensating for icepick tele bridge pickups into thin amps. I like the ODR-1, but people tend to overlook the reasons why they are being used so often primarily for country related genres.
I'm kind of surprised you say that as I remember them from the pre internet days as having a good reputation. I'd always wanted to try one, but never had the chance until a picked up a reissue one a couple of years ago and I really enjoy it and I don't play anything close to country.

I usually use mine with my Supro Black Magick and find it works well with either my G&L Doheny (single coils) or my G&L Fallout which has a hum bucker.

andy474x

Just picked up a Wampler Belle last week, and loving it. Disclaimer, haven't tried the Nobels or Nordland. But with a good "base" clean tone, the Belle performs wonderfully.

Yep. I have my lows tidied up in the clean tone already, which I think is part of why I'm liking the general feel of the circuit so much.

That being said, the bass control on the Belle is great for some added help in that department, if needed, or just dialing in for single coils vs humbuckers.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Silver Supporting Member
I just did my first run through with the Nobles ODR.

I was pleasantly surprised. I like it’s amp like bottom end and feel. I also like the bass cut switch. I read somewhere on here that the bass cut switch doesn’t do a lot or anything, my experience does not agree with that. There is a significant difference and I think it’s such a good feature. For my applications the bass cut switch works great for neck pick ups, especially when chording. For the record, I run only single coil guitars.
I love how it fattens up the bridge pick up of my Strat when the bass cut not on.

I definitely feel the more scooped nature, which is also less noticeable when you flip the bass cut switch on. I like it more open feel abs nature though. Sounds so big and I like it’s character a lot.

I currently can’t decide if I wanna up the ante to the protein. The awesome part about the nobles, is it is cheap. The Protein is not even though you are getting to pedals in one enclosure.

I also like having a Nobles ODR-1 & a Tubescreamer sound. Honestly they sound good stacked too and compliment each other. I would have to get rid of something else to get the protein right now and I don’t think there is anything I want to give up. so the nobles will probably stay and it is a fantastic sounding pedal.

Last edited:

ryanmcdermottguitar

Psychedelic Speed Freak
Silver Supporting Member
I guess ODR-1 style pedals are not for everyone / every rig.

Same with the Tube Screamer, Blues Breaker, Hot Cake, Timmy, etc. I've found that OD pedals are probably the most sensitive to what's around it, from the pickups to the amp. I look at an OD almost like a limited range EQ. It's gotta fit with what's coming into it and what comes after it.

petty1818

I just did my first run through with the Nobles ODR.

I was pleasantly surprised. I like it’s amp like bottom end and feel. I also like the bass cut switch. I read somewhere on here that the bass cut switch doesn’t do a lot or anything, my experience does not agree with that. There is a significant difference and I think it’s such a good feature. For my applications the bass cut switch works great for neck pick ups, especially when chording. For the record, I run only single coil guitars.
I love how it fattens up the bridge pick up of my Strat when the bass cut not on.

I definitely feel the more scooped nature, which is also less noticeable when you flip the bass cut switch on. I like it more open feel abs nature though. Sounds so big and I like it’s character a lot.

I currently can’t decide if I wanna up the ante to the protein. The awesome part about the nobles, is it is cheap. The Protein is not even though you are getting to pedals in one enclosure.

I also like having a Nobles ODR-1 & a Tubescreamer sound. Honestly they sound good stacked too and compliment each other. I would have to get rid of something else to get the protein right now and I don’t think there is anything I want to give up. so the nobles will probably stay and it is a fantastic sounding pedal.

I have both and I like the ODR better than the green side of the Protein. I have been struggling to bond with the Protein in general.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Silver Supporting Member
I have both and I like the ODR better than the green side of the Protein. I have been struggling to bond with the Protein in general.

this is good to know. Here is the reason why: I picked up a protein a handful of months ago and I did not bond with the green side of it either. I liked the blue side. After further research this continues to perplex me because according to Brown Amplification they trimmed out some low end and added some midrange back. But to me, I feel like I am liking the ODR-1 better and I like things with more mid range. Now given this is many months apart from each other my recollection isn’t going to be that sharp. But I am liking the ODR one and I remember not liking the green side of the protein much at all except for it’s amp like Ness and for bottom and response.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom