Ivor Fuzz by Dustin Francis

skern

There comes a point when the price of something exceeds its objective value based off, in this case, parts and labor.

Of course there is subjective value, but IMO subjective value would only be applied towards an object which has some special external value, e.g. owned by a legendary musician, from a long-ago time, unique.

Anyway I'm sure the fuzz sounds great, but I'm also sure it sounds exactly the same as fuzzes a tenth of its price.

windjamma

They are great pedals for sure, but they are not the be all end all, my nkt ivor sounded like **** to me, when i first bought it off of here. I tried adjusting the bias as it was gating too much for my liking, he seems to under bias them.

Anyway i broke the trim pot as it's tiny. Had it replaced and biased at 5v like anlogman recommends and now it sounds great.

Doesn't he just get his transistors off of anlaogman? Not knocking him, because i like his work, but this was my experience with an ivor.

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Ivors are fantastic. They aren't cheap. But they there super cool to play and hear. Very old sounding in a good way and very musical.

Gilky

Platinum Supporting Member
There are almost 20 vintage examples on reverb at the moment, priced from $1650 to $4900. I would argue that Dustin's Ivors sound as good as any of them and probably better than most of them and are still priced in the hundreds of dollars. This seems more like a labor of love for him than an enterprise, I kind of dig the attention to detail and also like how he voices them.

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
There are almost 20 vintage examples on reverb at the moment, priced from $1650 to $4900. I would argue that Dustin's Ivors sound as good as any of them and probably better than most of them and are still priced in the hundreds of dollars. This seems more like a labor of love for him than an enterprise, I kind of dig the attention to detail and also like how he voices them.
They are so good all the way around and I agree - if you read his IG/FB posts, it seems pretty obvious he nerds out on them pretty hard, which is cool - it definitely comes through in his attention to detail for sure.

yucatown

Platinum Supporting Member
Dustin is an expert with vintage fuzz faces and what he does is a labor of love. You either get it and are willing to pay for it or you don't. I sent him two vintage fuzz faces that needed work and they came back sounding absolutely amazing. One (a 66) had been messed with unbeknownst to me, but he knew exactly which components had been replaced and what other things had been done to it. By comparison, I had sent the 66 to another pedal builder who professes himself an expert in vintage fuzz faces but did squat to my pedal and asserted everything looked fine to him. If you have a vintage fuzz face that needs work, I wouldn't trust anyone with it but Dustin.

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
There comes a point when the price of something exceeds its objective value based off, in this case, parts and labor.

Of course there is subjective value, but IMO subjective value would only be applied towards an object which has some special external value, e.g. owned by a legendary musician, from a long-ago time, unique.

Anyway I'm sure the fuzz sounds great, but I'm also sure it sounds exactly the same as fuzzes a tenth of its price.
He spends time on his Fuzz Face replicas. He also has crazy in depth knowledge of the Fuzz Face circuit and and cosmetics. Dustin's time and knowledge are what set these apart from other fuzz's and those two parameters aren't really "subjective value" in this case. He's put a value on it and people pay it.

Roytaurus

He spends time on his Fuzz Face replicas. He also has crazy in depth knowledge of the Fuzz Face circuit and and cosmetics. Dustin's time and knowledge are what set these apart from other fuzz's and those two parameters aren't really "subjective value" in this case. He's put a value on it and people pay it.
He’s charging because of his years of experience and knowledge not because of the actual build. It’s like any other profession, the higher skill the higher pay.

woof*

There are 15-16 original examples on reverb right now. They range from $1500 to $3500 and I'll bet a few of them sound like crap.
Having bought and sold a few originals, more sound blah than are amazing.
What your paying for with Dustin’s Francis Fuzzfaces, you are almost guaranteed an absolutely amazing sounding Fuzzface. No need to buy a pile of originals to find the one.

Deus56

Dude how long have you had it for?! I’m the 1968 black fuzz face it’s also a bc183l
The early middle of last year.
A buddy turned me on to the them.
Honestly, before that I had heard of his work.
He had one and wow did it sound good!
Mine cleans up like a Germanium does.

EXP

Supporting Member
Having bought and sold a few originals, more sound blah than are amazing.
What your paying for with Dustin’s Francis Fuzzfaces, you are almost guaranteed an absolutely amazing sounding Fuzzface. No need to buy a pile of originals to find the one.
Agreed. I’ve had more than a few originals and the Ivors are tuned perfectly. My ‘68 continues to amaze me and the cleanup is unmatched. Never going to sell this Ivor because it doesn’t get any better IMO.

Last edited:

Roytaurus

Ok so I’m running a fairly clean amp (Victoria victorilux) would you guys run a tube screamer after it? I’m also using a Strat with single coil vmod pickups if that helps

Trending Topics