1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ivory vs. Bone nut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Rock Johnson, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I'm going to upgrade my Les Paul with either an ivory or a bone nut. I've had several guitars with bone nuts, but I've never had an ivory nut before. What's the word on them? Is one kind of ivory (mammoth vs. elephant, etc) better than another?

Thanks in advance.

2. K-man

K-man Member

Fossilized walrus ivory is generally regarded as the best. Personally I would save my money and use bone on an electric. I don't think it makes that big a difference to justify the higher cost, especially because it will only matter when playing open strings. My opinion of course.

On an acoustic however I would go with the walrus ivory. It looks nice too.

3. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I bought a few mammoth ivory blanks, and cut one for my strat. The sound is just about identical to cow bone, but when polished I think it looks pretty darn cool. A couple of my pieces had a darker brown look with some variations in color once polished. A strat blank was about $12, so that's not all that bad for something that you wouldn't change often.

4. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Yeah.... I see mammoth ivory blanks on the 'bay for under twenty bucks, and about the same for cow bone.

Where would I find the fossilized walrus ivory? How much different does it sound from the mammoth ivory?

5. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Dude...you would have shot me a few years ago for a thread with this kind of question in it...bwahahahahaha :D Can't wait to jam Thursday

6. K-man

K-man Member

You can get a bone nut from Stewmac or Allparts for $5.

Bob Colosi sells all types of ivory, including walrus. There's some good info on his site about the differences.
    http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

7. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Good info there... thanks. At least I know how I'll spend my lunch break now....