Ivy League 10" speaker question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by es137p, Nov 14, 2018.

1. es137p

es137p Member

it seems most people prefer the stock Eminence 1058 speaker in it. I was looking for a little more highs, but it was nice. I like the 1058 alot better than the 1258. The 1028k sounds surprisingly good in this 1x10 application as well.
    I've used an old reconed Jensen C10Q, great highs, not so much lows.
    reconed P10N type in it now, nice lows, would like more highs.
    Had used a weber 10A125, which was nice.
    Had also tried a Weber 10A150T which was real nice, but made the amp way too loud, no longer a small gig amp with natural breakup.
    I might have to stop my tendancy for noodling, and just put the 1058 back in and call it a day.

Anyone use any 10" speakers that you think work very well in this amp?

2. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I think the Eminence Alessandro GA10SC has a warmer sound than the 1058 but it still has the high end sparkle.

silver surfer likes this.
  3. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I’m a big GA10SC fan too. I agree with the warmer sound comment.

4. es137p

es137p Member

I'm not sure what you mean by this, does the GA10SC have warmer mids and more highs? Its warmer but has more high end sparkle than the 1058? That sounds nice. Also thinking of retrying the Weber 10A125.
    Thanks for the responses.

5. es137p

es137p Member

a member on these boards said he think the eminence 1028k has a thicker sound than the ga10sc64, which surprised me a little bit. I've heard the 1028k in an ivy league, and it shocked me that a little 6 oz magnet speaker sounded good in a 1x10 application.

6. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

I have the GA10-SC64 in my 3 BF amps. Recently bought a brown Princeton clone (Cutthroat Audio) which is similar to the Harvard (Ivy League) with no speaker. I ran it through the GA in my PR and there it was - perfect. The tone I love. But before I bought another GA (which would make #7), I wired in a 10A125 I had. While the two speakers are similar in a way, there are certain differences. The obvious is the ceramic vs. alnico, where the GA is punchier, tighter in the bass and brighter sounding in general. The 10A125 is softer, warmer in general and compresses as the volume goes up. To get more detailed - you mentioned the lack of lows in the reconed Jensen C10Q which the 10A125 is based on, and I find that also - they are there, but not like a C10N or 10F or A150. They are also softer than the GA, though I did not find the 10A125 mushy - still tight enough. The GA lows are more like an "N" speaker. The mids in the 10A125 are more scooped. The GA speaker is also scooped like the old Jensens, but has just a little more mids which is just right to my ears. The highs are both sparkly, while again the GA is warmer and richer than the old Jensens which again sounds perfect to me, but as said above still what I would call sparkly. the 10A125 has that classic vintage Jensen high end, but is brighter than the GA. I decided to keep the 10A125 in there with the deciding factor for me is that I bought the new amp because a cranked Brown Princeton is one of my favorite tones, so I usually use this amp for that. When pushing the amp, the 10A125 easily wins over the GA, although it still has a nice detailed clean tone. For the more mid forward cleans of the amp or the tweeds, I would lean towards the GA, although that speaker holds up so well when pushed. I was just playing my 66DR with the 12" GA a couple days ago - volume on 9 and it was just glorious. So can't go wrong with either speaker - just different uses. If you are gigging this, though, I would lean towards the GA as the best overall speaker to give you the best clean tones and still deliver when cranked.

es137p likes this.
  7. ES330

ES330 Member

Jensen MOD 10-70
    Voiced just right for 6v6 amps

8. uriahh1

uriahh1 Member

Emi also has those other 10's some folks like (ramrod,rajun Cajun,copperhead)
    Celestion G10 has a couple also I have tried and like in various 10 settings
    along with a WGS ver

9. LonesomeCraig

LonesomeCraig Member

I have a Ivy League with the 2x10 V-Front cabinet. I also thought the stock Eminence 1058's had to much low end and not enough sparkle.
    I just put in (2) Alessandro GA10-SC64 a few days ago. The low end is less than the 1058's which is good but there just isn't enough high end presence that I was hoping for.

As an experiment I ran my Fender Vibrolux Reverb through the 2x10 Alessandro's and there it was. A perfect tone. Rich low end, perfect mids and all the sparkle and presence you could ask for. I have never heard the Vibrolux reverb sound that good!

I think the Ivy League might do better with Alnico speakers. They seem to have that high end sparkle covered. I may try the Jensen P10R-F in my 2x10 Ivy League. The P10R-F has a very low sensitivity and should give me a nice break up at lower volumes.

10. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Actually the 10F125 is based on the C10Q. The 10A125 is based on the P10Q.

A 10F125 may be the ticket.

es137p likes this.
  11. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Absolutely. I was focusing on the Q part and lost track, but yes there will be differences between a 10A125 and a 10F125 alone. The 10F125 is the match for a C10Q. Sorry for any confusion.

12. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Yes, sort of rounder with no big peaks, for an extended highend that doesn't sting.

13. es137p

es137p Member

a friend has a 10a125 that I'm going to try, this amp is my jump swing blues band, lower volume amp, so I'm not looking for cleans. I have a nice p10n type reconed by vintone in there now, but I think it gets a little woofy with this amp. Looking for something right between the Q and N.

14. es137p

es137p Member

my friend has the 2x10 with 2 10a125's, nice

15. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Now that I am fairly Scotch fueled I reread my post in which I was highly coffee fueled and it feels like it is all over the place with modifiers. To the OP, hopefully you got enough out of it that is helpful. I think the 10A125 is a perfect starting point for that amp.

16. es137p

es137p Member

yes, it helped alot, nice night for scotch, I'm on Long Island.

17. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

I'm an hour away - come on down - Highland Park scotch. (bring your amp LOL).

es137p likes this.
  18. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

GA10SC has a little more mids but not more high end, the same.

es137p likes this.
  19. es137p

es137p Member

actually my amp is the chicago lux, ivy league with greasy trem, but everyone knows ivy league, so I kept it simple. Do you know mad dog, on these boards, he's from your neck of the woods, great guy, Michael.

20. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

The only Mad Dog I know is Vinnie Lopez one of the first drummers in Springsteen's band. Don't recall seeing a mad dog on TGP. The Chicago Lux is definitely on my wish list.