Izzy Stradlin/Appetite for Destruction

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BPSUL, Feb 4, 2009.

1. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

There is alot if info on the interweb about slash's equipment... but izzy's is a little harder to come by.

Its easy to find what guitars he used on Appetite and during that era (les paul, 335, maybe a 185) but thats about it. But what about amps?

Did he use the JCM800 that slash used in the studio? I swear I've done some searching on my own but cant find anything. Anyone have any idea what amps he was using? And maybe for bonus points what pickups he used (im thinking stock pups here)

2. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I remember reading an article with Mike Clink and he said something about not liking Carvin amps, but they worked for Izzy.

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Carvin? I recall reading somewhere that he used a Carvin head of some sort.

Edit* Me and SAM posted at the same time. I probably read the same thing he did.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  4. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

you could try emailing one of these guys;

• Victor Deyglio – engineering assistance
    • Dave Reitzas – engineering assistance
    • Micajah Ryan – engineering assistance
    • Julian Stoll – engineering assistance
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appetite_for_Destruction

i've had success emailing engineers before. they seemed more than happy to share.

5. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I could be wrong, but I remember hearing something about Izzy also using Marshalls.

6. randall g

randall g Member

I read somewhere that he used a Mesa Boogie Mark III head with Marshall cabs.......

Black Market Music on La Cienega in LA claimed to have them - in fact, a friend of mine bought one.

7. CraigSuperLead

CraigSuperLead Silver Supporting Member

I'll try to check tonight... I've got a ton of old guitar mags from the 80's and 90's in my basement. Fun reading!

8. CraigSuperLead

CraigSuperLead Silver Supporting Member

Actually, I think I also remember reading about him using a Boogie of some kind on Appetite.

9. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Here is a gear list...although in the link, the AFD part doesn't list an amp but does list boogie cabs:
    http://www.chopaway.com/viewtopic.php?id=11

Izzy was also endorsed by Carvin. Not that that means he used them on the album.

10. Tone Shop Guitars

Tone Shop Guitars Member

11. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Where is Izzy nowadays and what is he doing?

12. chadprsman

chadprsman Member

Izzy is from Indiana, and not too long ago he was chillin in Ca. and came to visit IN once in a while(He at least used to own a home in his old home town also). He bought/sold some vehicles from/to my dealership and is actually a cool, normal type dude(from my dealings). A bunch of years ago, I'd asked him if he had any Les Pauls for sale...He finally said he found one laying around the house...like a dumb ass I said "don't tell me about it, I already bought one". Doooh(how do you say it like Homer?)

13. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I know that Izzy released several albums after GnR. I have 3 of them and they are all great...nothing like GnR, but just good old rock and roll.

14. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

15. hipfan

hipfan Member

D'oh!

16. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i saw them on the 1st tour of that album and i remember seeing Vox's ontop of boogie cabs,the old cabs

17. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

Anyone who knows Izzy always says he's totally down to earth and very nice. He's also pretty smart in my book; he got out while the getting was good.

18. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

Its kinda of funny about G N' R. I have just finish reading the bio on the band, Slash's autobiograhpy and a photo history of the band done by one of Slash's friends.

I've always read that they came into the studio with broken down gear missing strings, etc...but pics of Slash when he was YOUNG, show him with US BC Richs, Strats, Marshall amps, etc at home and even talks about how he bought all these working at different jobs. I believe at various points they pawned things to pay for their habits, btu generally had gear to use.

Even before they recorded AFD (and they played ALOT after being signed by Geffen but before AFD was recorded), where he supposedly was able to wrangle the famed LP copy, he'd been playing a fabulously flamed Les Paul Std. for quite awhile, along side his Mockingbird and Warlock. The advances they rec'd from Geffen (I think $7.5K for each) at least for Slash, went right in his belly and in his arm.

Anyway, while none of these books really detailed the gear (other than what you could see in pics) they are very cool, even for the casual Guns fan. Somewhere in one of these books, they talked about the final studio setting for AFD, where they settled on Mike Clink to engineer and that there were new Mesa amps and cabs, so maybe Izzy used those?

19. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Thanks for the info, fellas.
    Im a huge Izzy fan... and quite envious of you guys who have met him.
    This thread makes me question my "tone quest"...

Im gonna start a new thread to take this issue one step further. If you guys have any comments please reply to it. I'll put a link in here in a moment...

Thanks!

20. AL30

AL30 Member

The Ju Ju Hounds had some good ol' Stones syel RnR'. Great stuff.

Looks like there may be a Twin Reverb back there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHC47TF2cmg

AL