J. Backlund Design Guitar Incoming!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by XKnight, Jan 28, 2015.

1. XKnight

XKnight Member

I wasn't planning on buying any new guitars, really I wasn't. :huh Then I started seeing all these cool designs by John Backlund and that led me to...:drool

Anyway, I found this JBD-200 and decided I had to have her.:love:

Here are some glamor shots when she was sent out for custom paint work. More shots to follow.:banana

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Cool! Cant wait to see the finished product

3. XKnight

XKnight Member

Here's the finished product. The guitar was completed a couple years ago and I just recently bought it. I found the pics of the guitar being painted on the Sims Custom Shop website. They did the painting on many (possibly all) of the USA made J Backlund Design guitars. Luthier Bruce Bennett from Nashville was the sole builder of these. And of course they were designed by John Backlund. They are no longer being made, at least not in the USA. Retronix is the import brand that is still in business although this particular model is not currently offered.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Lovely !! :aok

I've always had a penchant for these guitars, especially the JBD-200 models. When I back on the GAS track, I intend to try and pick one up... if I can find one... :)

5. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

I saw that guitar on Sim's site a few years ago, but never found an image of it finished. I might be wrong, but I think that's the only JBD-200 made in that color combination. I'm hoping that the 200 can eventually be produced in Korea as a Retronix model but don't know if it will be. Congratulations on finding one of these, I'm not sure how many 200's were built by Bruce, but I'd be surprised if there's more than twenty in total, and it's always nice to see one pop up on a forum. Kevin Maxfield of JBD has the original prototype that Bruce built back around ( I think) 2005-2006, and was shown at the winter NAMM show at about that time...here it is at NAMM, along with the first JBD-100. The first JBD-200 was a bit weird, with three slots in the lower bout rather than the single one of all 200's made after it, and it had the radically slanted neck pickup of the JBD-100...

[​IMG]

I have a black/ivory JBD-200...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  6. XKnight

XKnight Member

Thanks for the information John. I was actually going to pm you to see if you knew how many of these were built, but you've already answered my question. You must be psychic. :aok

That's a lovely JBD-200 you have. Your designs are a great addition to the guitar community. Hope things pick up with the Retronix line.

7. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

Thanks! I'm going to make some effort to find out how many of these guitars were built, and if possible, who has them, but unfortunately, I don't think very careful records were kept.

About ten days ago, I received one of the only four JBD-400's that were built by Bruce, as a surprise birthday present from my wife, Teresa. I had given up any hope of ever getting one of these, and when this one popped up several months ago from Vince Nettuno's music store in VA, she arranged to get it for me. It's beautiful...if you like this sort of thing, that is...

[​IMG]

8. XKnight

XKnight Member

Congrats! That's a wonderful birthday present from an obviously wonderful wife. The JBD-400 is probably my favorite design of the guitars that were made.

If you ever do find out the information on how many JBD guitars were built please let us know.

9. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

10. XKnight

XKnight Member

11. DB_Stringworks

DB_Stringworks Member

Hey folks! My name is A.J. Hancock, I'm the current luthier at J. Backlund Designs, and would like to let everyone know that USA Backlunds ARE still available, including the 200 and 400. For more info on those and other models, please visit www.jbacklund.com, and contact Kevin Maxfield.

XKnight, nice score on the 200! I hope you get alot of enjoyment out of it!

Thanks,
    -A.J. Hancock

Diamondback Stringworks

12. XKnight

XKnight Member

Thanks A.J. Glad to hear that the USA shop is back up and running. Looking forward to seeing some new guitars.