J-Bass for the wife: Fender, or ...

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Stratburst70, May 7, 2016.

1. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I'm thinking of having a custom 5-string J-Bass made for my wife in honour of our 10-year wedding anniversary (FYI: she does play bass. Very well). She loves the Jazz Bass configuration, but she doesn't have a good 5-string. Therefore ... ;)

The Fender Custom Shop is my first choice, but are there others I should look at that will give more bang for buck? I should mention that I'm based in Canada, so the more esoteric makers might be tougher to work with.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. VeloDog

VeloDog Member

A gift of a Fender CS Jazz bass would be a wonderful surprise. Only one issue I can think of that might be a deal breaker...

Jazz basses are heavy. If you end up with an eleven or twelve pound bass will she be comfortable with it? I sold my 10-lb. MIM Jazz bass because it was just too much weight on my back and shoulders. I'm an old guy though. And maybe you can specify a maximum weight, I dunno.

As to alternatives to a CS bass, I'm sure there will be no shortage of opinions (and likely no consensus either).

Stratburst70 likes this.
  3. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

You mike want to check into a build by Mike Lull. He's in Seattle. Has built many very highly regarded Jazz basses that would likely exceed custom shop quality and be better priced. He has a pretty good following (not esoteric) and likely has shipped to Canada several times.

4. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

She does have a Jazz-5; a MiM that I upgraded with DiMarzios over 10 years ago. It's okay, but it's nowhere near as good as her beloved 4-string Fodera NYC.

And yes, you can specify a lightweight body. :)

5. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

How about a Fodera Emperor?

6. 202dy

202dy Member

George Furlanetto is in Canada. Makes some of the finest guitars on the planet.

F Bass.

7. BluesyCat

BluesyCat Staff Reviewer Bass Gear Magazine Gold Supporting Member

I had a Fender Custom Shop Jazz 5 and thought it was the cats meow until I played a Sadowsky Metro. Sadowsky Metro playability and tone sounds sooo much better. More versatile too in my opinion. Can't argue on the weight also. Sadowsky is lighter by 1 lb typically.

Check out Don Grosh custom basses as well. I have a PJ4 and its superb.