• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

J bass kit for Xmas. Guitar player knows nothing. What do I need to buy?

waygorked

I've boult about a dozen Warmoth and Precision Guitar Kits guitars. My lovely wife hit me with a PGK J kit for christmas, maple neck, alder body. I literally know less than nothing about how to equip this thing. As with all PGK offerings, the quality is stellar. I fit the neck into the pocket last night and the tolerances were so tight that could hold the body up vertically by the neck without any screws. This thing deserves decent pickups and hardware. My builds tend to always drift towards high end stuff like Lollar and Throbak pickups. I'm not looking for any tone in particular, just something that makes it sound like an exceptional J bass. I'll get lost for weeks researching pickups and hardware if left to my own devices. Does anyone have suggestions of where to start?

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
If you want to stay in the boutique realm Lindy Fralin makes exceptional Jazz Bass pickups. There’s no way they wouldn’t give you exactly what you are looking for.

Mad Wombat

Lots of pickup options. I like Bill Lawrence stuff.
Bridges and tuners: Hipshot, Schaller, Gotoh are all good.
Other hardware (control plates, pickguards, screws, etc.): StewMac.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
What about hardware? Anything I need to know about bridges?
You can chase that forever and convince yourself it makes a huge difference but the regular Fender style bent steel works great (as evidenced in countless classic songs). The threaded Fender steel saddles are a fantastic match. No need to spent a lot of time and money on this element.

waygorked

That doesn't surprise me, but is there any point at all in an upgrade? A modern Gotoh or Wilkinson strat bridge easily outperforms a USA standard Fender. I'm assuming that the complexities of keeping a tremolo in tune exceed anything needed in a bass, correct?

What about all the high mass bridges I keep seeing? Is there any real point to those?

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
I just did a build with the Hipshot Ultralite tuners and I can recommend those for sure, they're also very light, which was nice because the Warmoth neck I ended up getting is pretty hefty. I echo the sentiment that the standard Fender style bridge is probably what you want.

I ended up going with DiMarzio pickups for my build, but the other option I was fairly dead set on was from Lindy Fralin. I ended up going with DiMarzio to save some cash (and time) on the build and I am really happy with them as replacements over the stock pickups I took out during the rebuild. They exceeded my expectations. That said, I didn't get to try the Fralins in my build, but I intend to grab a set eventually. https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/jazz-bass/

Dadaserf

I built a p-bass last year with SD antiquity pickups. Fralin ‘s that were also mentioned will also do the trick, higher build quality ensures you don’t have to repair it too soon and will come with a decent warranty.

Love these nickel gotoh bridges and the price is right.

adi

gotoh bridge, graphtech saddles, seymour duncan STK1/2, grover tuners, CTS pots 250, orange drop capacitor, maybe a string tree, bone/graphtech nut.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats on having a great wife and for entering the bass world

Sounds like the fellas have covered it. I'd echo decent tuners, Gotoh bridge, and either SD or Fralins for pickups.

Next will be an amp and cab, or combo.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom