"J. C. Holmes" Fretwire has arrived...

AdmiralB

The frets in the neck are 0.047x0.090, for comparison. As soon as Stew-Mac gets slotted boards back in stock, away we go...

fw1.jpg

fw2.jpg

AdmiralB

...said the actress to the bishop.

Or, as the sniper to Inspector Callahan, when the latter is unholstering his pistol: "My...that's a big one".

Last edited:

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Found a couple pics of it in a neck next to a normal fret. This is completely insane.
DCP_0128.jpg

DCP_0131.jpg

AdmiralB

I just got an email from Stew-Mac indicating that rosewood and ebony are back in stock, but I think I will wait for maple.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm basically liking big frets, by which I mean 6100 or so. As we've all said here, these frets are HUGE, but I'm interested to hear how they feel and sound.

As a player, I find there are gains to be had from using bigger frets. They're easier to bend on and smoother up and down the neck. I love the way vintage frets look, and they do impart a particular tone that I associate w/ vintage guitars, but the gains from larger frets are a well worth it trade off, IMHO. These are the biggest frets I've ever seen, I think. I remember a guy who'd had his Strat refretted w/ P Bass fret wire in the late 70's - it felt good when I played it, but that wire isn't near as big as this fret wire!

Let us know how it feels, Admiral - very interesting!

Merry Merry, Happy Happy, Dana O.

walterw

are you converting to a bass guitar?
oddly enough, basses don't need big wire in the first place!

the bass string itself is so thick that your fingers already don't touch wood, and on top of that basses will work fine with no fretwire at all.

i wanna try where they put like super-tiny mandolin or banjo frets on a bass, with the goal of an "almost fretless" feel and tone with the intonation of a fretted. i think lee sklar is a famous user of this type bass wire. (and i'm totally a big-wire guy on my electrics, it's 6100 or preferably jescar 57x110 for me.)

walterw

DCP_0131.jpg

i don't like how the giant wire has so much of a re-curve back towards the tang underneath the bead. it looks like the side of the fret goes vertical and starts curving under at the same height as the top of the normal fret.

i'd expect that to feel really railroad track-y, where if the bead had sloped down more it would make for a smoother feel. (maybe the problem is that would have made the fret just too wide).

AdmiralB

i don't like how the giant wire has so much of a re-curve back towards the tang underneath the bead. it looks like the side of the fret goes vertical and starts curving under at the same height as the top of the normal fret

There's some optical illusion there. It does recurve a bit but it's pretty subtle, at least on my wire. I wonder if maybe it's to reduce the footprint, as on finished boards.

AdmiralB

Measurements stated in the OP don't correspond to what's printed on the allparts website.

<really, seriously, vigorously, shakes head>

Context (maybe comprehension) is everything. You see where it says "for comparison"? And in post 5, the specifics?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom