J.D. Simo show at Sellersville, PA 4/5/16

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Platner, May 6, 2016.

1. Platner

Platner Member

I saw The J.D. Simo show Wednesday evening in Sellersville PA. Absolutely excellent! He played his Gibson ES-335 for most of the performance and switched to the Tele as pictured for the last couple of songs. Both the drummer and Bass player were extraordinarily tight and excellent.

His amp appeared to be a black face Fender Deluxe Reverb on top of a Fender cab that appeared to house two 15" speakers. The only pedals I could see were the Fender amp reverb/tremolo pedal located near the amp, an original Marshall Super Fuzz at the base of his microphone stand and a TC PolyTune. The drummer had a vintage set of Ludwigs and the Bass player had a Fender Precision going through a Kustom amp set up, no pedals except a TC PolyTune. Excellent tones throughout the evening.

The venue, a fairly small theatre, was only about two thirds full and I would have to characterize the demographic of the audience as the "over 40 type", there were some youngsters but very few.

Mr. Simo's virtuosity was stunning!

scr@tchy and msteeln like this.
  2. rdodson

rdodson Member

Wow, that is cool.

I really enjoy JD and could listen to him play pretty much any style.

3. Ldavey

Ldavey Silver Supporting Member

Saw him a couple times at Robert's western in Nashville and was sure wowed
    Thanks for the details in your post

Strategy likes this.
  4. ColorBlindJames

ColorBlindJames Supporting Member

Another attendee has posted several videos from the show:

There are several more on this YouTube channel.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    dez, DV52, 27sauce and 1 other person like this.
  5. sws1

sws1 Member

I so wanted to go, but I had rehearsal that night.
    I had spoken to JD a few months back about him playing one of my guitars when he got nearby, and this would have been the date. Damn rehearsal.

6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Looking sharp, way better than his previous bohemian look, which were better suited for sipping red wine at a French cafè while mulling over Sartes written work.

Sounds great as always.

NeuromancerAI likes this.
  7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Seems like he's making some changes.. Marshall to Fender Amps, Ditched the long hair and 60's style clothes for a more "man in black" look.

8. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Great pics and good video here. Pretty high standards coming from this trio now. I think I like him better with the plexi though. But it has to be easier for the sound guy.

9. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Wow, really dig that sound! I think it sits better in the mix and is a little less stock.

10. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

BTW, Lightning 100 is playing Long May You Sail in regular rotation. Anyone know what the (majors) chart position is?

The band is on the way up ^^^

11. 66fs

66fs Member

Two questions for the OP. Regarding the hair cut and fashion make-over: 1. You think he's beginning the transformation into JB, i.e., did he put on sunglasses during any part of the performance? B. What were the sound levels like?

stratotastic likes this.
  12. Platner

Platner Member

I did not get the impression that he was beginning a transformation into JB. I'm not a fashion expert but I did try and figure out what was going on; the jacket had a slight "Beatleseque" Nehru jacket dimension to it, the pants were of a different fabric that had a more casual kind of functionality and, not so apparent in the photographs, the over all image avoided the look of a "suit".

As far as the sound level; I would describe it as perfect for the venue, loud but not uncomfortably so but definitely physical.

Shnook likes this.
  13. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

I'd really like to see him live with this new amp setup. I really liked the live sound of the Marshalls he was running. His tone sounded just so much different in the videos above, though it's difficult to judge from live video alone. He is obviously a great player, but JD is such a great guy and was really nice to me the times I have met him. I hope he achieves all the success he desires.

Strategy likes this.
  14. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Guys don't talk about his change of image. How embarrassing.

Reminds me of the grandparents scene in Sixteen Candles, "look she got her boobies".

15. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

2x15 cab.. hmmm

16. 27sauce

27sauce Member

That's a big amp stand!

17. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

:rotflmao

18. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

No vids with the tele, bummer.

I saw the rig shots before the show on FB, I couldn't believe he was playing through a different rig. I could care less about his haircut, but the rig is very interesting. Maybe the marshall is in the shop.

19. 27sauce

27sauce Member

That was his main amp for years.

20. slybird

slybird Member

I've been watching the vids of this guy that are posted here. He is a good player, he's got some nice gear I guess, I wish him the best, but he is still missing something. He's almost got it, but his inner Rock 'n' Roller needs to come out, or he just needs to dig a little deeper to find it. His playing might be great, but it is not enough for me. He doesn't come off as authentic in the way that Clutch or The Jim Jones Review did. He doesn't sound like he has done enough drinking, drugs, and just hasn't got that 'I don't give a F' attitude for the music he is trying to play.

stratotastic likes this.