J. Mascis Jazzmaster Mods!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheBouc, May 26, 2015.

1. TheBouc

TheBouc Member

So yesterday, I did something I thought I would never do: I bought a Squier. I walked into Sam Ash just wanting to look at a few things. I wanted to try the J. Mascis JM because of the rave reviews it keeps getting all over the internet. I lined it up next to the Classic Player JM and compared. Holy wow. It was better than the Classic Player in my opinion, and costs half as much. I walked out with the J. Mascis with a hardshell case for $330. Great deal for me!

Now here is what I'm thinking: the guitar plays pretty well so far. However, I think I definitely want to swap out the bridge. I have heard that a roller-style bridge works well on these because they are outfitted with a TOM bridge (link to a roller here http://www.guitarfetish.com/Roller-Bridge-Chrome-plated-fits-Les-Paul_p_661.html). Can any validate that this is a good idea? Just looking for a better bridge feel in general, the bridge is the only thing that feels cheap about the guitar to me. Buzz and nastiness.

Next, I want to add in a buzz stop. Yeah, yeah, people hate on other people that add buzz stops on Jazzmasters. I know. But, I really am not a fan of the behind-the-bridge harmonics that keep coming up. Other than the reasoning "it's not a true jazzmaster thing to do!", is there any real reason why I shouldn't add a buzz stop?

Lastly, what other mods should I consider? This thing has some serious potential, and I want to really dig in and get as much out of it as I can. Gonna get some Emerson 500k pots to swap out too.

peskypesky likes this.
  2. TheBouc

TheBouc Member

Also, I'm possibly looking into doing a Mastery bridge on it. How complicated is drilling the holes to fit it? And does the Mastery bridge stop buzz/harmonics?

3. C3X

C3X Member

I tried the GF Roller Bridge. It is a very tight fit. I wasn't about to do any drilling or mod the holes to make it fit better. Once I got it on, the GF didn't change the tone and didn't help it stay in tune any better. I was tempted to buy a Mastery Bridge for it, and then said screwed it. I don't use a trem that much and it stays in tune just fine if you don't use it.

I did change out the pickguard and put the TOM back on. I really like the neck and the pickups are nice and gritty.

[​IMG]

4. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Ok ! Here is mine

[​IMG]

Mods ? Got a roller bridge instead of the mastery, what else ... got rid of the rhythm circuit, put locking tuners, changed the pups to Antiquities to give it a more Jazzmaster sound ...

5. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Neck is based off the Rory Gallagher Strat ! that's why people trip it so much

6. Strat87

Strat87 Member

The only mod I've done is the pickguard, and I doubt I'll change anything else unless I decide to try a roller bridge
    [​IMG]

Marris Otter, Porrig and Turi like this.
  7. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Mods are usually done to solve a problem or offer a noticeable improvement. Are you having issues you need solved?

8. strattele335

strattele335 Member

Strat87, I love that purple pick guard. Where did you find it and did it fit ok?

To the OP. As far as the bridge, I have not had any tuning issues with the TOM and definitely no buzzing or nastiness. I am not really crazy with the bar, just use it for a bit of shimmer. I have the pickups dropped pretty low and don't feel a need to change them right now. I am not familiar with how original JM pickups sound, but I am not unhappy with what I am getting out of the stock pickups.

9. Great Shot Pilot

Great Shot Pilot Supporting Member

My mods:

StayTrem TOM replacement bridge
    AVRI Tremolo Unit
    StayTrem arm and collet
    New pick guard (brown tort)
    Replace pickup selector switch
    Replace output jack
    Fret level

The only things I'd say were essential were the pickup selector switch and output jack, which were both junky. With that said, all of the other mods have taken a very good guitar and turned it into my #1. Sounds and plays amazing.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  10. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

11. Strat87

Strat87 Member

12. SciFlyer

SciFlyer Supporting Member

I like most everything about these guitars except I think the pickups could be better. Putting Antiquities in it would be a big improvement.

13. Turi

Turi Member

LOVE this!! I noticed that same eBay seller also has a pink one. Aw yisss.

14. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I adjusted the tension spring on my tremelo until it returned to tune every time. No new bridge, no issues.

15. TheBouc

TheBouc Member

Tuning is not my issue with the bridge. The tuning is actually great! As I mentioned previously, I am getting buzz on the bridge, as well as some out of control behind-the-bridge harmonics. That's what I want to fix.

16. TStrat99

TStrat99 Member

I've been eyeing one of those for awhile. Great neck. Head over to the offset guitar forum. There's a monster thread on the JMJM and all the mods people have done.

17. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

You should not need a buzz stop with a TOM bridge.

18. Turi

Turi Member

Sure is.

Here's the link for anyone who cares:
    http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58169

Loads of awesome J Mascis mods there.
    Some of them are so modified they bare no resemblance to the JMJM stock, asides from the body shape and neck.

Dudes there have had them refinished, new bridges, trems, knobs, nuts, pickups etc etc loads of great mods.
    There's one on there that's been totally modded up hard, and it's refinished in a tasty wood sorta look, with only the neck pickup available, check it out:

[​IMG]

Nice, right? Totally a JMJM.

When you start getting near the end of the thread, you notice a few with painted/matching headstocks.
    I think these look brilliant every time, even if they do have a Fender decal instead of a Squier one, they look class.
    Matching headstocks look like something every JM should have..

Really looking forward to getting mine, after reading that thread.

They seem like such a brilliant modding platform - they're already a well made, sturdy guitar that is totally at pro level stock - and they're cheap.
    You can only make them better by adding your own personal touches. Nothing on them actually NEEDS replacing.
    They're good to go out of the box. You'll notice loads of people are only modding them aesthetically, new pickguards or paintjobs.

Goes to show the hardware and electronics are solid.

Porrig likes this.
  19. wilddogmoon

wilddogmoon Supporting Member

OK, this thread convinced me to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys. Bad influences...

I think I'll keep the mods minimal with a mint green pickguard and a Wilkinson roller bridge.

Turi likes this.
  20. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

IMHO, the tuneamatic works fine. The necks are terrific, however with the P-90 type pickups they use, to my ears it really doesn't sound much like a Jazzmaster.. They are very fine guitars though...