J.Mascis Jazzmaster vs Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mallory8017, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Mallory8017

Mallory8017 Member

Yes. I know they are two completely different guitars. BUUUUUT they are both amazing quality for their price range (despite the Squier stigma we are all aware of). What one would you recommend for ambient/alternative music? I'd prefer a really nice and smooth neck pickup tone, and a little more grit from the bridge. I've played an FSR tele and the CP JM just recently, but due to my location I don't get many opportunities to compare guitars. I greatly enjoyed the rhythm circuit on the JM (and stayed on it for the majority of my time with the guitar). But there's something about the telecaster that draws me in. Maybe the simplicity? Or the fact that Andy Othling and just about everyone I look up to uses one :D
    Anyone have experience with both? Or just an opinion on jazzmasters vs telecasters in general? Thanks guys!

2. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I've had 3 JMJMs and 2 CV '50s Teles. They are, like you said, tremendous value for money. I currently have a CV 50s Tele but with a Warmoth neck. I just don't care for the narrow nut width/spacing and heavy gloss feel of the stock necks. I like the wide satin Mascis neck, though. Very comfy.

I would suggest the J Mascis Jazzmaster for you. I think it has a stronger neck and neck/middle tone. The Tele has a good bridge pickup, but the neck is kinda muddy and non-descript. With a couple of tweaks, though, a CV 50s Tele can really kick butt and hang with more expensive ones. You really can't go wrong with either, but if you like the mellow rhythm circuit of a Jazzmaster, it sounds like you'd dig what the Mascis offers. The pickups ARE more like P90s than trad Jazzy pickups, but they still sound good.

Obligatory pics-

A CV 50s I turned into an Esquire-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple of JMJMs-

[​IMG]

Current CV 50s Tele with Warmoth Strat neck. Sounds and plays great-

[​IMG]

3. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I have both, love them. The Mascis is a total rock machine, and one of the best necks I've ever played at any price point. Good cleans, although not the prototypically pretty cleans you'd get from tradional Jazzmaster pickups. More P90ish in nature and excel with dirt. I have the butterscotch classic vibe Tele, built very well and sounds great- have no hesitation in saying I prefer how it plays and sounds to my previous Ame. Standard. Great cleans and excellent with dirt. Some complain the necks are too thinnish, but I don't find it thin at all really- nice medium C shape. The Ame. Standard I had had a thinner neck fwiw. The Mascis has a much chunkier neck, but it feels amazing, nice gloss finish. Kind of apples and oranges though between the two, I would suggest trying both if possible before you buy. The Tele is great and a huge bang for the buck, but the Mascis is truly a special guitar at that price point IMO.

4. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

For your needs, definitely the Mascis. Tons of cool tones available.

5. SciFlyer

SciFlyer Supporting Member

Just did some recording using a J Mascis JM. The guitar was modified a bit.. it had Duncan Antiquities. The guitar played and sounded great. Cool guitar.

6. Turi

Turi Member

Both are brilliant guitars.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  7. e???

e??? Member

I had the CV 50's tele once. For about 4 hours! Returned it 4 hours after I bought it after a good 3 hour playing session at home to see if it was right. It wasn't. The J mascis though is a really great guitar. Played about 3 different versions of one, and loved it every time. The neck, pickups, bridge, and colors are really cool on that guitar

8. plaidbeer

plaidbeer Member

I had a CV 50s Tele very briefly and got rid of it as the particular one I bought was very heavy (this was several years ago when I just started learning to play). Replaced it with a Blacktop Jazzmaster and after several guitar changes I now have a Squier Mascis.

The Mascis isn't light, but doesn't feel overly heavy. I really like it a lot as I can get a wide range of sounds on it and like having the trem.

Regardless of which guitar you go with, though, isn't ambient as much about effects/technique as anything else?

9. Mallory8017

Mallory8017 Member

You're correct, but at the moment I own a really crappy Fender Starcaster and I'm not a fan of the strat tone, so I'd like to get a more quality guitar ALONG with expanding my pedalboard and upgrading to a nice tube combo amp. Being a poor teenager sucks.

10. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

My Mascis ... pretty much the neck is unreal ... the rest got swapped including the tuners

[​IMG]

Good enough to see very heavy gigging, no buzz and fantastic from the factory, didn't sound like a JM so I put Duncans and locking tuners

and it's in good company ... Crazy how a Squier is now as competent an axe as these heavy weights

[​IMG]

11. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Haha....I guess I suger-coated it too much.

12. Schpyder

Schpyder Member

JMJM, no question.

If you want to make it even more jazzmastery, drop in an AVRI trem and some SD Antiquity IIs.

13. zeppfan1

zeppfan1 Member

I recently picked up a JM jazzy and it kills. I can't believe the playability up and down the neck. Best fender neck I've played.

14. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

Nah.

Sent using Forum Runner

15. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I ended up trading for one of each today. Tele is new, JMJM is one I owned previously. The best bang-for-buck Fender products and mod platforms out there-

[​IMG]

16. Great Shot Pilot

Great Shot Pilot Supporting Member

The JMJM is my favorite guitar and has beaten out several $1,000+ guitars in order to hold that title. Just buy one.

17. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

The JM, but it requires a pickup swap for some real Jazzmaster pups.

18. Mallory8017

Mallory8017 Member

How would you describe real JM pups? And how would you describe the JMJM pups? More strat-y?

19. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

They're more P90. I like them. The JMJM isn't a traditional Jazzmaster, so I don't think it needs to sound like one. You can certainly tweak it that way, though. I like the TOM bridge and P90s. The trem is the only thing that bugs me....creaky, doesn't feel solid like a good one.

20. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

I played a Squier Jazzmaster Tele like this one and was very impressed.

[​IMG]