J. Nunis Guitars?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by drjenkins, Jun 14, 2005.

1. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Anyone touched, smelled, seen, more to the point played one of these guitars? He's pretty close to me geographically, so I guess I could try to check his shop out if he's cool with that. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. They look really nice to me. Lemme know!!:dude

2. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Well I just sold mine on Ebay (perhaps you saw it)
    A little conflicted over it, I really really like the Nunis, but (contrary to my id) I've really become a Tele player.
    So the Nunis is moving to hopefully a place where it will be played more!

Obviously if you are close, checking out the shop is always a good thing.

I personally liked the little extra design additions. the 3 piece maple neck I feel gives it more brightness and a nice bite. It is also amazingly comfortable to play (for me at least) frets are slightly slanted and I had to actually get used to that a little but after that, I was able to play the Nunis all day not get sore, that .. is actually not true of my favorite Tele's (but I just love that "quack/spank" sound on a Tele).

I also liked the pick ups in this guitar Duncan Antiquities. I felt I got very good note seperation and that little extra brightness vs. a normal Paul which to me in Rhythm sounds like mud and only has some use in Lead.
    I really felt that I could use all three settings well.

All in all a great guitar.

3. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Cool! Thanks for the response. Im going over to Atlanta tonight for a concert and Im staying over until tomorrow to got to his shop. He seems pretty accomodating for whatever options you want. Im anxious to check them out!

4. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

drjenkins A friend of mine works with Jim, helping him with some of the building. He's working on me a very custom J Nunis right now. i really dig his guitars.

Anyway, I heard you liked the guitars enough that you placed an order. Cool.

you'll have to give us an update with pics and a review.

Peace.

5. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Oh yeah, Jim was ridiculously gracious with his time, and access to the guitars and his home. I cant wait to get my guitar from him. He let me pick his brain and pester him for about three hours this past Friday. Super cool guy, and really accomodating to whatever I wanted. He suggested things I didnt even consider, and now they're gonna be on my guitar. Picked out all my wood for the guitar that day as well. Killer maple top with a black limba back and neck, and a cocobolo fretboard. Gonna have a sterling silver inlay too. Gonna be killer!!!

The more I played the guitars he had there, the more I liked them. Im actually about to put up one of my PRSi for sale to get another Nunis. So once I go pick up the current one being built, Im more than likely gonna be putting a deposit on #2.:dude

Thanks for the info and let me know what you get... pics, reviews and all.

Later,
    Dave

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

You mean you will give reviews and pics right! :)

7. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

I will for sure, and I want onehandfretting to post pics of his as well!! A big ole' Nunis love fest!:dude

8. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

9. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

Jim is very cool. And very patient. I wanted a lot of non-standard features on my guitar and he has been very accomodating and super cool about all my crazy requests.

And as for his guitars, they play awesome. I'm in love with his necks. The raw, yet super smooth feel they have is perfect.

10. I thought I heard his name about someone who made burst replicas? Same guy?

11. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

He has done some burst replicas and does relicing as well. As far as I know, it would be in his body style, not G**son's. But take all that at face value, I may be off a bit. :D

12. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

I second that!! Im sending him the dimensions from my favorite neck today to have the carve on my Nunis replicate it. Jim is the shiznit!!

BTW onehandfretting, I checked out your band's site and downloaded the mp3's. Pretty damn cool my friend!!!

13. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Yes, but they were not very accurate.

14. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

Thanks a lot!

15. bailnout

bailnout Member

16. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

There is a Nunis 59 LP Jimmy Page clone at Guitar Center in Atlanta. It was 5500 and now 3000 on clearance. Played pretty well. Relicing looked great. Pickup rings need some work. They are buckling.

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I know this is an old thread..........just wondering if ya all are still digging your Nunis Guitars?

18. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Yeah Dave has like 3 of them I think.

Shame Jim passed on.