J&R Music in NYC?

Tinman

Anyone have any opinions on this outfit? I'm considering buying a Guild acoustic from them. They are nearly 20% cheaper than any of the other online merchants. I am aware of the risks generally associated with buying a guitar without having seen or played it. I'm specifically looking for info about this store's reputation. Thank you.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
I've purchased a million CDs and DVDs from them, but never musical instruments. They're more of an all-around electronics store than an instrument store. I'd just check their return policy before buying.

The bear

I was just there.They have an own branch with only guitar-stuff now. The store was ok, a bunch of fenders and some cheaper line instruments-not a place to buy high end stuff but I am sure they might have some good deals on things.
The CD store is quite good, the best(and maybe only) jazz-section in NYC.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
I've purchased electronics like headphones and DAW gear, but an acoustic???

Me, I'd get in touch with Wildwood and let them take a shot at it for you - lots of happy folks here dealing with them. For me, probally the only dealer I'd buy an acoustic from. I work with Troy, but anyone can help you.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/acoustics/guild/

bdegrande

They have been around for about 30 years, they have a whole block of stores in New York. I used to work in the computer store years ago. Very reliable, authorized dealers, not gray market, and very nice people, the owners are a married couple, not a corporation.

indravayu

It's pretty much a clone of the Best Buy music instrument section. If you'd feel safe buying from best Buy, you should have no problem with J&R.

John Thigpen

Gold Supporting Member
I ordered a Vox AC4TV from them on Friday morning. Got the tracking number that afternoon. Received the amp in SC Monday morning. Fastest service I've ever seen!

John

whitehall

I've bought camera gear from them in the past. Don't know that I would buy an instrument. The problem with all the NY electronics guys is that there has always been a lot of gray market counterfeit stuff coming from them. And the habit of stripping everything bare. I can see it now , you buy a brand new Fender Amer. Strat . It arrives with no case, no strings, no whammy bar and no backplate. - "Oh did yis want that stuff ? " that costs extra.............

WKG

Silver Supporting Member
I have bought electronics there several times, great service and quick.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Been a while since I stopped by, just did recently again and whaaaa? It's like Matt Umanov's Lite over there now! They have the real deal 6-series (MIJ) Gretsches there, I saw a '52 Hot Rod Tele and a Clapton Strat so they're carrying lines higher than Am. Std. Fenders, and upstairs they have real deal Taylors and the new USA Guild acoustics. Saw an interesting '65 Deluxe Reverb RI festooned in Maroon there too, so i guess the amps also got an upgrade (they still have a full line of Vox amps tho). I was pretty impressed actually - walked out with just a pack of Ultex pics tho, heh. Might have to actually plop down and test out a hot rod strat if they have one in, I didn't have time to look closely. They had lower lines like the Blackout Fenders too, they'll probably get the Pawn Shops as well. It's pretty close to my neighboorhood so this is much more convenient to pop in and maybe check out the WR buckered Mustang in the future.

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
I can stop by there on the way to work tomorrow, play it for you and get back to you - lol

Trending Topics

Top Bottom