J Rocket Dude vs. Barber Small Fry / Burn Unit

DGAS

Has anyone owned these pedals at the same time and compared them head-to-head?

I currently have the Barber, which is excellent (all Barber pedals are), but it doesn't seem to have the 'chirp' of some of the other Dumble-esque pedals out there.

guitarnet70

Had the Dude, no chirp to be found there. Still a great Pedal though.

Have flipped around some 10 D-Pedals before to get the chirp, ain't cheap: Cornerstone Gladio

DGAS

Interesting. I hadn’t heard about that one.

For that kind of coin, though, I think I’d just pick up an ethos

Valves-R-Us

Not totally understanding the term 'chirp', but should that be upper sparkle, tingly, harmonic bits, then no, The Dude does not have that going on. I have the Ver. 1 and it's a fine soft-clipping box of crunch but not the dumble-ish goodness I hoped for.

I kept hearing sparkle (for lack of any better term) or high freq. overtones on video demos. At first I thought it may be 'artifacts' or digital trickery not audible in the real world? Nope, some pedals generate that upper magic while retaining the true amp tone. This was my introduction to 'transparency' and at last... having true, realistic breakup rolling up gain. Ended up with a Wampler Pantheon that creates the sparkly, dumble tone for me. To be clear, I'm not even sure it's a dumble tone at all? It's a Bluesbreaker thing but it sounds so amazing into a clean tube amp, sure, I'll call it my Dumbleator.

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
i had a small fry and i don't know if it was the stock setting but i turned the presence trim pot up a lot higher, not quite chirp but really opened the pedal up

JRC4558Dude

No experience with the J Rocket, but this thread prompted me to pull out my old Small Fry and give it another go.

Nope.
Still sucks. :(

Reminds me of why I sold my other Barber drive pedal, the Half Gainer...

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
No experience with the J Rocket, but this thread prompted me to pull out my old Small Fry and give it another go.

Nope.

have you adjusted the 4 trim pots, that was necessary for me

KingsXJJ

I currently have the Barber, which is excellent (all Barber pedals are), but it doesn't seem to have the 'chirp' of some of the other Dumble-esque pedals out there.
Great profile pic!

David B

Gold Supporting Member

Nope.

Sell while the market is high (maybe higher than you paid). I get email requests for small fry and burn unit pedals every day, and people offer big bucks just to turn the machine on one last time.

David B

Gold Supporting Member

Cut back the mids a bit, that will help the highs shine a bit more, admittedly, I don't heavily emphasize the fizzy/chirpy stuff way up top as that is often a problem frequency for guitar amps/speakers, and even more so after it is miked and then pumped through a live console and 1" horn tweeters.

Jon

Sell while the market is high (maybe higher than you paid). I get email requests for small fry and burn unit pedals every day, and people offer big bucks just to turn the machine on one last time.
Well personally I really like Barber pedals - the only time I've sold them was to make way for others - e.g sold a Direct Drive to get a DD/DC and an LTD to get a Half Gainer - they do what I want them to.

JRC4558Dude

Thanks for your friendly response.

To soften my remarks somewhat, the Small Fry hasn't found a permanent place on my pedalboard, but I will say that Barber build quality is top-notch.

DGAS

Cut back the mids a bit, that will help the highs shine a bit more, admittedly, I don't heavily emphasize the fizzy/chirpy stuff way up top as that is often a problem frequency for guitar amps/speakers, and even more so after it is miked and then pumped through a live console and 1" horn tweeters.
thanks for the suggestion Dave.

I bought it used, and when I opened it up the trim pots were set pretty weird, so I tried to get it back sounding normal, but I’ll give that a go

By the way, could you explain the difference between the overdrive character of the burn unit, the gain changer, and the tone pump?

Thanks!

Trending Topics