J Rockett Clockwork Analog Echo - another DMM contender?

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I've been on a bit of a delay obsession lately, particularly with regard to the Deluxe Memory Man and related circuits. In recent months, I picked up the new DMM Nano, as well as an AnalogMan-modded DMM XO. Similarly, I also got myself a Belle Epoch Deluxe, although that's obviously a digital pedal and not analog.

Anyway, I wound up getting myself the new J. Rockett Clockwork the other day as well, as I wanted to be able to get a more versatile DMM-style pedal but with some more features specifically for my little grab-and-go board. Longer delay time, greater modulation control, and tap tempo are all really appealing, as is the ability to power it with just 9 volts.

Anyway, I am digging the Clockwork so far, as it has that sort of fluid DMM sound, but it's definitely not quite as bright as the DMM. Maybe I need to play with it some more, but so far that's the point that stands out most. Great pedal though, even despite its price tag. Using it for band rehearsal tonight, so I'll have more to say about it after that.

Any other Clockwork users have any thoughts on the pedal so far?

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I actually like the Clockwork very much. I have/had an old DMM that just wasn't consistent enough even for studio use, so the Clockwork as well as the Starlight is what I'm now using. I debated for some time and I even bought a Belle Epoch to see which one I would prefer, but the Clockwork definitely is very impressive as is the Starlight. I'm not to concerned that it's a little/tad darker than the DMM as that can always be adjusted in the mix, etc. It's built like a tank and it sits well into a song.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, I've had this pedal for about a week now and I've put it through its paces, and I really like it a lot. I have a big DMM XO to compare it to, and I think the Clockwork is definitely in that same world. It can get a little cleaner than the DMM, but it can also get dirtier, with the added drive control. The only drawback that I've discerned so far is that it's slightly darker than the DMM, but it still sounds really good. I know these pedals are not cheap, but I think the feature set you get is worth it. I'm generally a huge PITA when it comes to delays, but I think the Clockwork is the real deal.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Used the Clockwork at band rehearsal last night, and I am hooked. I have a nice DMM on my other board as well, so I am very familiar with both pedals. Each has its charms, and I go back and forth between which one I prefer most. The modulation on the Clockwork is just sublime, and it makes my clean tone sound so great. Lovely pedal.

rugglesgreen

Silver Supporting Member
Played one yesterday at 30th street guitars. It sounds incredible, for real. Its a proper memory man. If you want the sound of the old school memory man we all love this does it without the issues of the older pedal. Doesn’t look as cool but honestly idc, so many pedals have gone for the dmm thing and just don’t really get there, including the modern ehx versions, just imo. But this is it. And as someone who records a lot and is constantly fussing over guitar sounds/parts, that specific dmm thing is invaluable to have in your tone arsenal yet surprisingly difficult to replicate. Looking forward to getting one and putting the old big box away
I just really want to ask you again- does the clockwork do exactly what the DMM does? And not sound thin? Thank you kindly

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I just really want to ask you again- does the clockwork do exactly what the DMM does? And not sound thin? Thank you kindly
The Clockwork is by far the closest to a DMM I've ever played. (For what its worth, I have both the DMM Nano and the DMM XO as well.) That said, you have a bit more control of the modulation with the Clockwork than you do on the DMM, and of course it's also tap tempo if you want it. I think the only real difference in sound is that the repeats on the Clockwork sound maybe a little less percussive than on the DMM, so it's maybe a tiny bit smoother.

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Clockwork nails the TT1100 sound but does not get close to the tone and feel of a great sounding big box 90's or early 2000's unit. One thing to consider is the fact that the modulation seems to be missing the vibrato tone, they all focus on the chorus whereas I find the only thing I want out of this circuit is shimmering vibrato echo repeats. It was much darker than my big box, didn't have that vibrato tone and it felt less 3D.

That said, it's pretty much dead on to the TT1100's and for most people, it will probably impress highly. The Clockwork definitely has many more modern aspects that can be useful... I just don't seek those things out in this circuit.

As always YMMV.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom