J Rockett GTO -- a review

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
Mid-honeymoon update ... this pedal is reminding me of my Bearfoot Honeybee. I wish I had the two side by side to compare. Stay tuned ...

... Thom

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Is this a pedal to make leads pop more or can it be used to REPLACE a Timmy, Greer Lightspeed, etc. for broken up tones that retain clarity into straight rock rhythm?

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
Any update on this @galibier_un ?
I confess to not switching it on much. I'm really hooked on my Mythical OD and Timmy - both set for edge of breakup on my Princeton style amp (Vintage Sound 20). Maybe 10 o'clock on the MO's gain knob and about 11 o'clock on the Timmy.

BTW, the Timmy used to annoy me with the stock chip (buzzy). I don't think this comes as a surprise to anyone, in the context of a blackface style amp. As I mentioned earlier, I swapped the chip out for a TL072.

I think the GTO is one of the better ODs I've had (not that I've had many as I mentioned above), preferring it to (for example) my Catalinbread 5F6. As I mentioned above, I wish I still had my Bearfoot Honeybee to compare against. I think they're very similar, with possibly more tonal range on the GTO? Possibly.

As far as my earlier comment about the GTO being a blackface friendly version of the Timmy, I get more gain that I like out of the GTO. If I set my Timmy's gain to 1 or 2 o'clock, I want to shut my amp down. The Timmy annoys me with this much gain, even with the chip change. I'm probably in the minority in this regard.

I tend to play 80% clean (RC Booster) and 20% with either the Timmy or Mythical OD, with the neck pickups on Teles and Strats. I'll switch the GTO in occasionally.

I still find that it's very "stack friendly", with both the Timmy and the MO. Currently, the signal chain runs: Timmy --> GTO --> Mythical OD --> RC Booster. The RC booster is my "make everything sound better" pedal, and is always on.

The GTO seems pretty good for singing lead tones with a Tele Bridge pickup (with or without the Timmy or MO switched on), but I'm not that guy. I'll keep it, because I can't imagine better. Of course, you never know better until you hear it. To get some clarity with lead tones, I'll drop the gain slightly on the GTO and run the Timmy into it.

IOW, I'd say that the change from the Honeybee was more or less a lateral move. If presented with an in house demo today, I think I'd keep whichever one I currently owned. Swapping wouldn't be worth the money. To date, these are my two favorites.

I recall Guthrie Trapp saying that he hardly switches on any ODs when he's playing at home. That seems to be me as well, but that's where the similarity between me and him ends :D

... Thom

Last edited:

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
So this thread inspired me to put some more time back into GTO - stacking it into the Mythical OD. I'm really bad with anything resembling medium gain. It tends to excite my a light case of tinnitus - even at low volumes, so I'm really careful about this.

Anyhow, light gain on both pedals continues to be the theme for me. Both gain knobs around 11:00 on the dial, Tone and level to taste.

I'm liking this, for single note leads and double stops.

The Timmy is upstream and if you like a bit of snarl, running it into the GTO is a nice combo (helps with note articulation as well). I also have the Timmy set at about 11:00 on the gain dial.

... Thom

Last edited:

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
Another few weeks of "serious" exploration. I've concluded that I'm not the person to comment on any overdrives. I'm finally making peace with a mild touch of tinnitus in one ear. As soon as I dial up the grit on any pedal (even at low volumes), I want to shut everything down.

I did some interesting experimentation along the way however.

With respect to the GTO, I dialed it to a place which matches where I like my MO (gain and tone around 11 o'clock) with the vintage diodes. The GTO has a nice sweet grit (like the MO), and like the MO, it retains articulation with double stops and triads at this gain level.

This setting on the GTO, has the gain is barely cracked open (maybe 10:30 on the dial), with the accent a bit above noon and warmth in same area. Of course this is redundant with the MO.

I think the time has come to switch gears and look at compressors.

One last thing ... I reversed the positions of my Timmy and my RC Booster - using the Timmy as a clean boost at the end of the chain (gain and bass cut at minimum, and cutting a tiny bit of treble). I reverse them back again, it points to what a nice boost the Timmy can be and I forgot how flexible the tone controls are. When I was using it for mild gain, I reached a "set and forget" spot with the tone controls and forgot how easy it is to dial them in.

If anyone cares, watch for an ad on the emporium :eek:

... Thom

musicbliss

Silver Supporting Member
I really liked the GTO - sounds great, feels great under the fingers but ultimately thought that it was so compressed that it sort of got lost in the mix when playing with a band. May have to break it out again though! I also find it funny that Guthrie Trapp doesn’t use one on his main board.

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
I really liked the GTO - sounds great, feels great under the fingers but ultimately thought that it was so compressed that it sort of got lost in the mix when playing with a band. May have to break it out again though! I also find it funny that Guthrie Trapp doesn’t use one on his main board.
I'm just playing in my basement these days, so I can't prove it, but I get a sense that in a live situation, it almost demands a Tele bridge pickup.

... Thom