J. Rockett The Dude Vs the Blue Note

joevacc

I have a Blue Note incoming and am wondering whether any of you have tried them both.

There does not seem to be any comparison videos out there... I am not surprised, they are two different beasts.

I feel like The Dude is one of the best OD's I've ever played. I really dig it. Just wondering if I will like the Blue note as well?

(Practicing and twiddling my thumbs 'till the post man gets here) ;~)

JackStraw12

I had them both, but I kept the Blue Note. I imagine they'd be a fantastic combo into a clean amp. There's something really special about the BN though, did you get the one with the hot switch?

I thought they covered somewhat similar ground, but I felt the Dude was overlap with my Redplate

joevacc

I had them both, but I kept the Blue Note. I imagine they'd be a fantastic combo into a clean amp. There's something really special about the BN though, did you get the one with the hot switch?

I thought they covered somewhat similar ground, but I felt the Dude was overlap with my Redplate
I did get the one with the hot switch. I did purposely - because there are times I will use the mid bump but more than likely will have it off most of the time.
Interesting, if they do cover similar ground I will probably be happy. I am going to have two nano pedalboards going on so it will be great to have either board hold its own and if I like - be able to run them together and have all my pedals...

Thanks for the reply and I'll be glad to hear thoughts from anyone else.

Mike R.

I own the Blue Note - with the switch - and really enjoy it. I really do not like ODs with pronounced mid humps so it works well for me.

Overdriver18

The Blue Note was my choice too. I liked them both, but The Dude had way more gain than I felt i needed (never had the knob past noon) and the Blue Note felt much more open and versatile.

rochell59

Silver Supporting Member
I'm interested in this too. I'm wanting a light overdrive setting on the blue note and a more overdriven/compressed tone ala Carlton with the dude. It sounds like it would work in theory. No?

petty1818

I love my Blue Note but really want the Dude as well for higher gain settings. I still don't know why but my BN is still my only OD that adds a bit of a high pitch squeal to my signal. Sometimes it's not there but most of the time it is. It's the only reason why I have it off my board.

Overdriver18

I love my Blue Note but really want the Dude as well for higher gain settings. I still don't know why but my BN is still my only OD that adds a bit of a high pitch squeal to my signal. Sometimes it's not there but most of the time it is. It's the only reason why I have it off my board.
What settings and with what guitar and amp? That high pitch squeal sounds like a defective pedal unless its at some extreme.

Dunzie

I run them both on my board at the moment... the Blue Note set to a smooth lower gain and the Dude to a mid gain crunch. There can be some overlap in the gain range, but honestly the tone and feel are different enough that it's easy to justify keeping both on the board. That said, if I could only have one, it'd be the Blue Note. The original hot switch version is the most versatile pedal ever and would definitely be my desert island do all pedal. Dynamics are exceptional.]

But the Dude is very cool too and a nice warm crunch that I like for a lot of stuff we do.

I've been eyeing both of these pedals recently. A local guitar shop has them both so, hopefully, will try them out soon. Just wondering, do you think the BN with the switch is worth the extra cash (though, granted, it's not much)? I tend to set and forget but if it's something worthwhile...? Personally, I think the new version looks cooler but the sound is obviously more important.

I just saw that GC sale, might have to go for it! Can always return to my local GC if I don't like it. My local shop might price match also.

Last edited:

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Just ordered the BN from GC. The price has dropped to $137 plus if you call and ask for 20% off, you save even more. I got it for $110 plus tax. Not a bad deal considering it was $199 last week when I looked.
Wow, $110 for a BN is a steal. My favorite overdrive. I like having the Hot switch for more gain and high mids to cut through. I also have The Dude and it's good for a fat, higher gain sound but if I could only have one overdrive, it would be the BN over any other.

Last edited:
Just ordered the BN from GC. The price has dropped to $137 plus if you call and ask for 20% off, you save even more. I got it for $110 plus tax. Not a bad deal considering it was $199 last week when I looked.
THANK YOU! This should be a PSA thread. $110 is STEAL for a pedal of this quality.

Been wanting to pull the trigger on a big box BN and now was the time.

I have most of Rockett's OD offerings. I have the Dude on my Christmas list so if I'm lucky I will have both by the end of the year. These were the last two I'm missing. Rockett makes some of the best sounding drives IMO.

Kelsey

Well, that's an example of being caught in the switches... Both MF and GC now show a price of $137 on one page, but $165 when the BN is actually selected. That's about $137 with the holiday discount. MF is backordered at that price. Amazon still has a few at $137, so I ordered from them instead since I have Prime shipping. This will be my 3rd Blue Note -- it's my main OD, and I'm afraid they're going to discontinue the original like they have with the Animal and the Chicken Soup. I prefer the Hot switch with some amps live, so the Tour version isn't quite there for me.

joevacc

Mine arrived today. I dig it. I missed bringing it to rehearsal this week so it will be a week before I'm able to play it with a whole band.

I am sure it will do well... For now I have put it on my PT Nano with my Mythical Overdrive bumping my Dude... I really like how the MO pushes the Blue Note. The Dude compressed a little too much for me when I stacked it...

It does get to where the Dude can go with the hot switch on and that makes me happy. My Dude is going on another PT Nano with a fuzz and my HoF and Flashback.

It's a cool pedal and now that I have the MO, the Dude, the Carcosa fuzz and the Blue Note - I should be able to chill in the OD department! ;~)

Trending Topics