• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

J45......which colour?

Which one?

• Dark sunburst

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • Heritage Cherry (more like a honeyburst)

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

sunking101

I honestly like both colours and both guitars play/sound more or less the same. I can't pick a winner and am close to.tossing a coin here... :dunno

s-l1600.jpg 20201016_212551.jpg

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
I like the first one - the Dark Sunburst. The Heritage Cherry is too bright for that guitar; it looks like a three color burst with the dark outer color missing. I prefer the darker fretboard on the Dark Sunburst as well.

zombywoof

While I do own a 1961 Gibson B45-12 I have never cared for the cherry burst. But as Gibson did not offer this model with any other finish until 1963 it was not like you had a choice. So yeah, by the process of elimination, I prefer the burst in the other photo. But it is not what I would call a "dark" burst. Maybe a dark edged burst though as it features graduations of black rather than say Cremona browns along the outside. But it is their company and Gibson can call the finish whatever they want.

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
Before I get to appearance, I would point out that the Dark is a 12-fretter and the Cherry is a 14-fretter. VERY different guitars!!! I would assume they sound and play quite differently - ??

Can you tell us the specific type of J-45 that 12-fretter is? It must have been a limited run.

I like my J-45’s with a dark sunburst - but I am used to them having 14 frets clear!!!

Last edited:

Akwingnut

Dark for me. I wouldn't even consider the latter if it were priced lower than the dark version. It's just how I'm used to seeing a J-45.

27sauce

I like the Cherry, reminds me of Donavan, but not with that pickguard.

Everyone has a the dark burst, for good reason, I guess.

sunking101

Before I get to appearance, I would point out that the Dark is a 12-fretter and the Cherry is a 14-fretter. VERY different guitars!!! I would assume they sound and play quite differently - ??

Can you tell us the specific type of J-45 that 12-fretter is? It must have been a limited run.

I like my J-45’s with a dark sunburst - but I am used to them having 14 frets clear!!!
Yeah, good spot. Neither of these are the actual guitars in question. They're just grabs off the net to show the colour options. Both the ones I'm interested in are the standard 2019/2020 fayre.

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, good spot. Neither of these are the actual guitars in question. They're just grabs off the net to show the colour options. Both the ones I'm interested in are the standard 2019/2020 fayre.
Got it - in that case, the Darker look is prettier.

Tony Done

I could toss a coin between those. I have a Maton that is a very similar colour to the lower one, and I like it for the difference from the more trad sunburst look, but it looks more like golden honey than red cherry to me in your pic

sunking101

I could toss a coin between those. I have a Maton that is a very similar colour to the lower one, and I like it for the difference from the more trad sunburst look, but it looks more like golden honey than red cherry to me in your pic
No, it's not red cherry. For some reason, same with the Hummingbirds, Gibson call that washed out honeyburst 'Heritage Cherry Sunburst'. They do a 'Vintage cherry sunburst' too, the cherry burst that we're all familiar with. Pics below....

cllrdpeo0ejryqdmzhgp.jpg
gcjtxqdywpd1kphxr5bi.jpg

Tony Done

No, it's not red cherry. For some reason, same with the Hummingbirds, Gibson call that washed out honeyburst 'Heritage Cherry Sunburst'. They do a 'Vintage cherry sunburst' too, the cherry burst that we're all familiar with. Pics below....

View attachment 298805
View attachment 298806
Good info, thanks. My Maton is very similar to the top one, except it is the Martin-style edge-only sunburst rather than Gibson teardrop.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a bit ocd about these things, so I like both but I couldn't cope with cherry sunburst unless it had the big batwing pickguard - the little teardrop guard belongs on a traditional sunburst.

zombywoof

Gibson offered a CS run of 12 fret J45s about three years back. If you ever had a Roy Smeck with the un-tapered body though you would quickly become a fan of 12 fret jumbos.

Trending Topics