• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Jack White on SNL...

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
...if you have to ask....well...
:anon
I'm definitely not as invested in discovering new music as I was when I was younger, but the main thing I notice that's changed over the last fifteen years or so is that I'm less likely to just listen to music as a primary activity than I used to be.

MrTAteMyBalls

It was a very good performance. The vocals could have been better. One of the better acts on SNL for quite some time. Music is supposed to be emotional not predictable. I guess he wont be big in the lounge act area.

This. I watch SNL every week and the typical "live" performance is:

Backing track that is literally the entire song.
Lots of backup dancers since the song and performer is generally un-interesting.
The "singer" or rapper just sings or raps over the original vocals from the song so everything is doubled and tripled and autotuned.

You may as well just put on the record and spin it for 4 minutes and let some randos on stage to dance.

The JW performance was a breath of fresh air and I am not really a fan.

Nebakanezer

I'm definitely not as invested in discovering new music as I was when I was younger, but the main thing I notice that's changed over the last fifteen years or so is that I'm less likely to just listen to music as a primary activity than I used to be.
The kids have influenced you.......
Get back on your lawn and yell at them kids!!!!

I agree, especially comparing the amount of time I spend on the internets versus being a kid with only a radio and cassettes.....
Let alone compare being a kid with a Series 10 electric versus having a dozen instruments now!!!!!! This does give me a good perspective that all you need is time and a desire to learn an instrument (or any other endeavor). Because these days I feel like I practice just as a way to maintain my ability to play.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
I get that.
What bugs me, and you are not guilty of this, is people passing judgement without doing the research.
In this case: really listening to the artist they are dismissing. Going through the catalog, living with it for a bit, and making an effort to understand it beyond the basic “It Rocks!” or “It Sucks!” dynamic.

The other thing is just the blind assumptions people make based on, and it’s obvious, no pratical knowledge.
What’s the point of sharing your opinion if you don’t have in a little knowledge on the subject?
But that’s the gift of the internet. Everyone‘s opinion thinks their opinion is valid on any subject if they can type something and hit “send”.
In a perfect world: If you don’t know the music, the artist, the genre, whatever...then learn about it or don‘t post.
It’s utterly tragic that people could take 5min and using Google could do the most basic level of research before they post but they don’t. They‘d just rather pop off with some inane commentary that just advertises their lack of knowledge instead of elevating the conversation.

TL;DR More signal, less noise.

tostyj

Take him please and his "space-ship commander" pedals & keep him off TV.
* now before someone labels me a "hater" im just interjecting some levity.
Clearly if the Trio got to snl in their own private jet i need to invest in a "starship pedal".
Yikes, the classic "I make more $$ than you" pic. Looks like the drummer forgot to bring pants and borrowed some from the bass player, so the bass player must pretty cool at least.

macula56

Gold Supporting Member
Mr White did what Mr White does. A lot of folks loved it and a lot of folks thought it sucked balls. I thought it was interesting that they let Bill Burr do that monologue. Not typical snl fare for sure. At first I thought that was Billy Corgan. Jack makes some noise though. Nice to see guitar on tv even if it's not my cuppa tea.

JPH118

He’s generally pretty hit-or-miss for me... I like Dead Weather and the Raconteurs, not much else aside from a song or two.

But after seeing him on SNL, I found myself throwing him on Spotify the next day, and dug some tracks I hadn’t heard before. So, well done, SNL/JW.

monty

Anytime an audience is afraid to laugh, it’s a success to me. I loved that he managed to offend everyone possible within about 5 minutes.
Agreed. So awesome he didn't go on and just be PC. I was a bit worried because he didnt even mention he was going to host during his podcasts last week.
Love the guy, he's been crushing it for years.

biffoz

Honestly, I was a little worried that SNL might not be the best place for Bill Burr, but he was charming and still shooting live rounds in every direction. Knowing Burr, this was him at his smoothest and fairly polite, if ya know what he normally does.

No video, sadly, but this podcast excerpt introduces Burr's gnarly Philadelphia performance where he destroys the audience with filth and venom. Really priceless. Set to start just as they introduce the clip.

Last edited:

Trending Topics