• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Jack White on SNL...

Ry@n

Honestly, I was a little worried that SNL might not be the best place for Bill Burr, but he was charming and still shooting live rounds in every direction. Knowing Burr, this was him at his smoothest and fairly polite, if ya know what he normally does.

No video, sadly, but this podcast excerpt introduces Burr's gnarly Philadelphia performance where he destroys the audience with filth and venom. Really priceless. Set to start just as they introduce the clip.

I was surprised when I saw his name on the bumper the previous week. But I agree, he was great (flubbed some lines in a couple of sketches, but a lot of hosts do that).

Ry@n

As for Jack White’s performances, I think some people are picking it apart a silly amount for what this was. Personally, I like rock’n’roll, and that was as much a spontaneous rock’n’roll experience as you’re ever going to get on TV. For those who want something more polished, I’m sure you’ll enjoy Justin Bieber on this week’s show...

Fu Schnickens

I love the sonic destruction sound of his. I just wish his solos were a bit more coherent/cohesive. I don't even mind the man-boy voice, either. It works.

Maybe that's why I didn't like it, RATM never did it for me.
I recall seeing them at Lollapalooza in L.A. & my friend was screaming 'This band is going to be huge!'.
I didn't 'get it' then & I still don't get it now, same for Jack.

Jim Jones

I wasn’t aware of the tune he got the Spanish Flu lyrics from so that was incredibly clever to me. I used to wonder if JW was the real deal or a poseur but he obviously knows way more about blues than I do...

And I thought the performance ripped! I did see the White Stripes once and I loved it for the first few songs but I sure love to hear a bass in there.

Last edited:

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I used to wonder if JW was the real deal or a poseur but he obviously knows way more about blues
Didn't White start or contribute to a record label years ago dedicated to old blues releases?

Jim Jones

May well have, I don’t know. But he’s covered Son House and guys of that ilk for years. Turns out I’m the real poseur because any blues I know I traced back through Led Zeppelin or Cream... ;)

Didn't White start or contribute to a record label years ago dedicated to old blues releases?

PhuzzphayzZ

just watched both....

1) he obviously isn't a memeber of TGP!!!! or he would have engaged his boutique OD's TrebleCut switch... since he was using the TrebleTerror of Tele+Fender amp. oh dear, no one told him???

2) PedalGain.... eh.... does Distortion into a Fender really sound so 'bad'?

3) needs to work on some of those JohnnyRottenLeads... tho, I DO get the point of bein punk-sloppy

4) vocals?.... ack

5) He looks like RobertSmith+Prince+1/2junkie+MarilynManson... I like the BLUE

6) Drummer's kit??? niiiice

7) So, when you have the money.... you end up sounding like "3 months at TGP"???... I would have totally redone his Rig to something a little less SolidState sounding... still, wasn't "bad" in the "cool" sense... it was kiiiinda cool... but, yea, I'd rather hear TheCure

8) so, this is all the music entertainment the peasants get from their governor overlords for the rest of eternity? whadda SCAM!!!!!

MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY

neastguy

I finally got around to watching it.. He has a cool sound and his own thing. Obviously very talented and a polished performer. He has all the cool mannerisms down pat. Back foot tapping etc. With all that being said.. its nothing I would ever buy and listen to.. I can take maybe on or two of his songs and singing and Im done. I feel this way about other groups too.. so Im not just picking on him.. I wish him well...

HesNot

Silver Supporting Member
Add me to the second times the charm camp. I watched it sunday after a few references were made and I thought it was cool but admit I may not have completely gotten it. Watched it again this morning and I have to say that was inspiring. I won't say I'm a massive JW fan previously, but I like him being a contributor to the music landscape, I like his approach and commitment to his vision. Someone said he is all in, and you can't argue that.

That SNL performance, on second viewing, was just fun rock, uninhibited and played with passion and a good bit of showmanship. Awesome and as I said first, inspiring.

I haven't watched SNL in years with any regularity - so given the references to Megan Thee Stallion (which I found confusing, shouldn't it be "thee Mare"? But I'm old and didn't understand the apparent slang definition...) I watched one of her performances from last week. I know she's popular and presumably that was good entertainment but dang. If Jack White's performance, coming on the heels of MTS's performance, didn't make you excited about real, live, passionate music in all it's ragged glory then, well...

nichd

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe my second favorite SNL performance in a long time.

FWIW... my first is this Sturgil Simpson song...

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
So I'm old at 63, and remember hearing Cream at at age 11. Now I like Jack White for the most part. But for me this type of music lacks the Blues,Jazz and Soul R&B part that Cream's music.
So while it has energy and passion it doesn't reach me and move me in any way.

When I look back now at Jimi Hendrix,Cream, Led Zepplin,etc. I realize how much what they based their music on mattered.
I'm not dissing anyone's likes, just pointing out something I realize as a life long musician.

Ry@n

So I'm old at 63, and remember hearing Cream at at age 11. Now I like Jack White for the most part. But for me this type of music lacks the Blues,Jazz and Soul R&B part that Cream's music.
So while it has energy and passion it doesn't reach me and move me in any way.

When I look back now at Jimi Hendrix,Cream, Led Zepplin,etc. I realize how much what they based their music on mattered.
I'm not dissing anyone's likes, just pointing out something I realize as a life long musician.
Interesting... you don’t hear blues in Jack White’s music? It’s mainly blues-based, as far as I can tell.

Trending Topics