• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Jack White on SNL...

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not sure it's so much about authentic Blues, as much as liking the authenticity of the artists feel and groove. We each have people who speak to us at different points in our lives.

I actually enjoy less distortion and high energy at this pointin my life. The Breat American Songbook interpreted by Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Julie London, is what rocks my world now days, LOL !

But I still have the ability to appreciate someone's talent no matter the genre. Although for me the songwriting has significantly diminished from a harmonic, and actual skill set perspective.

aynirar27

Notable Member
Platinum Supporting Member
You say that as if Jack White doesn't tour arenas and stadiums around the world.:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao
Playing to fans he already has made.
SNL is a major pop culture audience that may not be aware of raw rock music

paulg

Gold Supporting Member
I could find many faults in his performance, but also many things to like. I guess that’s rock and roll. Given the utter crap on SNL it was a vast improvement!

Christofuhhhh

I will take JW over John Mayer 100 out of 100 times
Interesting.
But...I would say the opposite. My main reason is Mayer's dedication to clean tones. In that way, he displays a massive amount of restraint, discipline, etc. by not hiding behind distortion and effects.

My second reason (and perhaps more important one) is his versatility.....

I could easily see JM onstage doing exactly what JW did on SNL (I have actually seen JM play "Panama"), in the White Stripes, etc.

I cannot see JW onstage with the Dead playing gorgeous arpeggios, mixing key centered and chord tone soloing, and interacting as a band MEMBER.

It's just not in his wheelhouse (or garagehouse)

Ry@n

Interesting.
But...I would say the opposite. My main reason is Mayer's dedication to clean tones. In that way, he displays a massive amount of restraint, discipline, etc. by not hiding behind distortion and effects.

My second reason (and perhaps more important one) is his versatility.....

I could easily see JM onstage doing exactly what JW did on SNL (I have actually seen JM play "Panama"), in the White Stripes, etc.

I cannot see JW onstage with the Dead playing gorgeous arpeggios, mixing key centered and chord tone soloing, and interacting as a band MEMBER.

It's just not in his wheelhouse (or garagehouse)
I don’t think Jack White “hides” behind anything. He uses distortion and effects, because those are the sounds he wants to make. He’s not in some “best chops” competition against John Mayer; he’s an artist making the music he wants to make. And, to me, it’s more interesting, even if John Mayer is clearly very, very good at what he plays.

Ry@n

none/allot as far as I know Jack was using these well before he passed and imo the "tribute" aspect was played up by snl or only gently suggested by someone in the works. He shot off a bit of tapping no big deal was made... thankfully he didn't go full eruption on us. Im sure Jack and his audience (mostly comprised of intolerable snobbish hipster millennials like myself) are acutely aware of the narrow venn-diagram intersection between EVH fans and JW fans. His EVH guitars are nearly all customized from the bottom up or might be fabricated except the neck. Some fancy luthier handles all his work. I'm pretty sure they use lace sensor pickups.

You're in a safe place, I assume the majority of TGP users are in your demographic. I understand why it doesn't work for you. Lazaretto is not my favorite. Your reading of influences is interesting.

The thing about Jack that makes him different than those bands is his particular music history was not from music he heard growing up on the radio and electric blues players. He is more self curated drawing from influences of the influences of the bands you mentioned (very old delta blues music) combined with DIY "Punk" ideals present in the 90's Michigan scene and (he is/was a Stooges fan) not that he doesn't do some of the same things classic rock did but he doesn't do "grooving" like cream did or ballads like zep did later. Imo if you really want to know the core source of Jack's musical ethos you start with the flat duo Jets and branch out from there. A little hip hop too.
Interesting, there are parts of the last Racontours album I immediately thought sounded a bit like later Led Zeppelin in style... though I realize that’s a collaborative creative effort, not Jack White alone, and that may not be owing to his influence.

Devin

Low Voltage
Interesting, there are parts of the last Racontours album I immediately thought sounded a bit like later Led Zeppelin in style... though I realize that’s a collaborative creative effort, not Jack White alone, and that may not be owing to his influence.
I would say the raconteurs are the closest to late 60's rock that Jack does. Brendan Benson has a Tom Petty vibe to him. I almost made a point about how Zep is sort of exceptional for the amount of musical style it covers and that Jacks voice to me sounds closest to Plant. In fact I think if you like LZ1 you ought to be a white stripes fan too.
I think British Blues Boom players were so influential on the guitar that the style became ubiquitous. People cop clapton licks for drug commercials. I speculate it wasn't interesting for him to try and replicate that. TBH its hard to talk about because JW's solo career is almost a reaction away from the white stripes and he has gotten more pop oriented.

mr. moon

I think both JW and JM present themselves musically exactly the way they mean to. I personally dig heavier sounding stuff, so would gravitate towards that, regardless of who is playing it, that's just my personal opinion.

To me, music that is too polished is boring. Dissonance is what makes music interesting and compelling, IMO.

Outlier

Just not enough dancing to be Tik Tok friendly. Maybe some duck lipping for the camera would bring his performance up to a more standard SNL level of artistry.

Trending Topics