jacked up zen & Timmy on Ebay!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratoquack, Jun 17, 2006.

1. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

It drives me nuts to see these things on ebay for twice the cost, and half the time the seller says "never used", "brand new in box". I know nothing can be done and I understand the concept of supply and demand. It just makes me a little ill to see this when I am waiting on mine so I can actually play it.
    I know I'm preaching to the choir. Sorry, just venting!!
    Bill

2. Coach

Coach Senior Member

We'll see if you change your tune when the pedals arrive...

3. radcliff

radcliff Member

how weird

the guy selling the timmy bought it off me about a month ago

4. rewog

rewog Member

I agree.
    The quality of the Timmy is stunning for the price (in terms of finish and fittings).
    I think it's a good case for these builders ALWAYS taking payment up front rather than when the pedal is ready.
    At least it would be harder if they had to tie their money up for a while to get a profit.

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I have sold Paul's pedals on two occasions as my rig evolved (always re-ordered!) and I've really enjoyed selling them to mates at what they cost me to be able to turn folk I like onto fine products.

6. rewog

rewog Member

Even if you'd made a profit, you're a genuine user.
    It's different to someone who buys just to sell at a profit.

7. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

In defense of the guy auctioning off the timmy, he is asking the same amount that he paid for it. (no it's not me, nor do I know him/her).

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with someone buying a pedal and then selling it later for what they can get for it - provided that they bought the pedal with the hope/intention of using it. I do, however, have a problem with someone who buys a pedal for the express purpose of re-sale, and this is why - They cause the pedal-maker to fall behind on orders! I have been waiting since Feb for my Timmy and Zendrive, and then I go on eBay and see these pedals for sale at double their initial price and the seller claims "Brand New!" "Never Been Used!" etc, etc. Those are pedals that musicians, many of them working (like me), are trying to aquire because they want to improve or diversify their sound. Now the pedal maker is catching grief because he is falling further and further behind, which causes the price on these "Pristine" pedals to skyrocket because the waiting time keeps getting longer and longer.

I fear that there is nothing to be done about this situation except for the pedal maker to raise his price - higher price = less demand = shorter wait times = less stressed out pedal-maker. Am I happy that Paul C is selling me my Timmy for just over $100 - you bet I am! Am I happy about waitiing 4 months and counting for that pedal - no, I am not. I don't blame Paul, he is a great guy who has created a stellar pedal that is in high demand. The problem is these sharks who get between Paul and the musicians who really want one of his pedals because they sound great when you play through them! I find myself wondering how long the wait period would be if a magic wand could be waved and everyone who is buying a Tim or Timmy simply to resell it would be erased from the list! I was so concerned that Paul might think I was one of these sharks that I paid him up front, even though he insisted it was not necessary...

9. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I understand the concept of G.A.S and what it's like to badly want something. However, I'm not willing to pay $150+ more for something than it costs in order to get it quicker. I think it's BS to buy a pedal with the intention of selling it for a profit when the maker is still in business. Capitalism is widely excepted, but I still think it screws the makers of these pedals. I think Paul is trying to do the right thing by making these fine pedals so affordable that most anyone can buy one. But in doing so some ruthless people take advantage of those good intentions. The answer seems to me to raise the price. Sad but true. That would address several issues with this situation.

And finally, the buyers of these pedals are not helping. I know they want a great pedal, and if they've got the money spend, great. But it just encourages more of the same behavior of sellers pricing these pedals way beyond the list price. If people would stop buying at inflated prices and just wait for the pedal from Paul, that would drop the resale price of the pedals too.

I might be a dumbass, but I've never sold a pedal from more than I bought it for. Usually about $10 less. Simply because I don't want to feel like a screwed a maker out of money for their product.

10. pepperco

pepperco Member

I learned my lesson on that one. I was lowballed on a pedal
    here once, and sold it. The pedal ended up on ebay
    within a day !!! This was from one of our regular members,
    who I guess considers himself more of a bussiness man
    than a guitar player.

Now THAT rubbed me the wrong way.:mad:

11. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

At the risk of offending the mods, I put a Zendrive 2 on ebay starting at $50 LESS than I paid including shipping and duty.

As well, I offered it back to the person I bought it from first, and he declined.

12. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet Gold Supporting Member

If prospective buyers/wanna be pedal owners were a little more patient, well, you wouldn't have to sport a thread about evil sellers.

This doesn't even fall in the realm of preaching to the choir tho, more like, mumbling to the 20billion watt PA.

And the next time a TGP'r pays waaaay to much for a pedal and acknowledges it..I for one, would like to see a little more social reprimanding going on, instead of the oblig. KUDOS.

It's weird, I don't remember ever seeing a thread that read..."Who are these dumbasses buying pedals for ridiculous prices!"....wonder why? :p :crazyguy.

13. K-man

K-man Member

Hah good point. Probably 'cause they're GP members!

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

It's the same concept as ticket scalpers..It's ridculous enough having to pay $300 to see the Stones, and completely off the map paying a grand from a scalper cause the tickets went on for sale for 5 minutes!!! for that kind of $$, I'll buy another amp, and stay home and play Rolling Stones music for my wife for an hour and a half...

15. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

an hour and a half... LOL...:dude :AOK