Jacks on my Strobostomp finally crapped out!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Franklin, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Franklin

Franklin Member

:mad:

I can't belive it. At a gig over the weekend there was a loud buzzing sound coming from my pedal rig. I thought it was one of the george l cables. But at last nights gig while I was setting up I was checking all the connections and found that both the in and out of my strobo were making a crazy loud interferance/shorting out noise (like when your cable to the amp is bouncing around a metal floor) every time I bumped the connectors, it was hiddeously loud. The plastic jacks were very loose. Even bumping the pedal board or stepping on pedals sometimes did the same thing.

Totay I took the thing apart hoping I can beef the jacks up some how, no luck. The outside where the jacks threads are have another plastic part (that does not screw on, it's just popped on there!!) that I thought maybe I can replace with a metal nut, nope. Well, I did what I could and it's only a little better, but definately not acceptable for gigging. Too bad, it's a great tuner otherwise.

Anyone have a solution for this? These jacks on the board do not look easy to find replacements for.

Has anyone tried reaane jacks or traditional type jacks?

And yes, an email to Peterson is on the way!! :Spank

Thanks!

2. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I've been having the same problem. Where do you put the tuner on your board? Funny thing I always keep it up front in the chain and last night I moved it to the end and the popping was much, much less. try it and see.Can't hurt.

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

I keep it at the end, with a SHO after it. The george ls are always in, so there isn't a lot of pressure on them or usage from plugging and unplugging.

Thanks CBeeper!

4. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

5. Curt

Curt Member

Send it back to Peterson. They're real good (and very quick) at repairing and shipping back. Unfortunately, they're closed for the Christmas holidays.

6. Franklin

Franklin Member

thanks again guys, looks like i'm not giving a VSS to the Gainster for Christmas now........
    :Spank

Naughty!!!

7. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Had a similar problem with my Strobostomp. Had to duct tape the patch cable to the input to hold it in tight. Problem seems to have disappeared since then. I imagine it'll be back.

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

For a highly touted pedal, that is some crappy design and product quality.

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

Sure is shallbe, I dumbfounded!!

I too have duct taped everything, gonna check it out now......

10. Perry D.

Perry D. Supporting Member

Amen to that! :mad: I replaced the plastic nuts with knurled metal 'wheel' nuts. I'm tempted to use super glue on them so that they NEVER come loose.

11. ABKB

ABKB Member

This is about the only thing stopping me from getting one of these things. I have heard of display problems, and now the jacks. Seems like you have to baby it, unless you drive a truck over it of course, then it's fine :rolleyes:

12. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I placed the Strobostomp second in the chain so that patch cables are permanently installed. The I/O jacks have always been a concern for me and, if they ever give me trouble, I plan to remove them and wire in a pair of standard switchcraft jacks.

13. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

yah,

mine is on a bord and the cables never move but itermitently the thing gets short and does not work.

Have you seen the comercial where they druve over it and hit it witha bat and then throw it and it still works ... well I have never doen anything even remotely harsh to it and it still does that...

:Spank

14. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

thanks guys. I was just on my way to MF to buy one and now I think I'll go with a Korg.

15. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I haven't had any problems with mine. I plug straight in the Strobostomp with my guitar each time I play as it is first in line on my pedalboard.

16. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

Hopefully they beef up these components in future production...and drop the price.:rolleyes: I might consider it then, but for now the TU-2 still ticks along after 3 years of plugging and unplugging every day (it is the only pedal in my rig that I power with batteries)

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1. Though I've only had mine since May

18. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

Well I went with a Korg DT-10 based on this review. I'll wait for the new and imporoved version.