Jacksnax: Rip This Lick! E7#9

jackaroo

Want to spice up your playing over the “Hendrix” chord?

This lesson uses licks that start on the off/up beat, uses the b5, economy picking and some extended pentatonic fingerings...have at it! Plus it’s in E...the key where all funk jams eventually devolve!

Last edited:

skydog

Yeah…starting it on the off beat is my learning block! ;) This will give me something to practice later today, most of tomorrow, and all of next month.

Last edited:

jackaroo

@skydog

Thanks for checking it out!

I find it to be very common for guitarists to have difficulties with this...

So...in this lesson the first lick and the last both start ahead of the downbeat.

I probably should source well known musical examples of songs that start on off/less common beats. I use that trick myself as well as to remember intervals.

Lastly, I think it’s worth mentioning that this line need not be approached in such a heavy context. Right now it’s framed in a kind of souped up hard rock funk Hendrix/Bonamassa context. You can apply these concepts, and notes in a cleaner, more traditional idiom with great results.

jackaroo

@sigmundc

Hey! Let me know if you get it. I hope you can extract something meaningful from it. Often I set out trying to learn a concept, and it leads me to a new technique or observation that wasn’t really the original point of focus.

Lots of lesson (some shorter, some longer) on my YouTube channel.

Thwap

Platinum Supporting Member
That kills, I'm onboard, I'll hit this tonight!
Nicely done!!!

Trending Topics