Jackson Ampworks Britain 19watt!! Great Amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by studio8000, Mar 22, 2006.

1. studio8000

studio8000 Member

Hey y’all…
    I’ve been waiting a few weeks to write something about this amp so I could have enough time to try it with a variety of guitars, and in different rehearsal/ gig situations. I must say, I’m very pleased with what I’m getting out of this amp. First of all the amp is built like a tank. Very solid build, nice big transformers in this thing. And they look real classy. The spec’s information is on the website, and since I’m no techy, I’ll just refer any tech questions to the website… however as for the sounds I’m getting, let me just say this amp is a joy to play.

From the first moment I plugged in and strummed the first chord, I could tell I was going to have fun with it. I got the 19 watt version of the Britain, but it is a LOUD 19 watts. From some previous experiences with low wattage heads, I wasn’t expecting much from the cleans. But the clean on this amp rules. Very beautiful. Full range, but chimey like a good ol’ vox. It was like plugging into the Brilliant channel of my favorite old vox, but with more bottom end and “fullness” in the lower mids. Turning the amp up to let the tubes crunch I was reminded of great Brit rock sounds. There’s not a ton of gain available, but to me, it’s just enough as I love the blues rock/ classic rock sound of the 60’s, 70’s. really great for that british rhythm crunch sound. And playing leads on it was equally fun as the amp is very touch sensitive and easy to play with a lot of dynamics. It was a very smooth lead tone. I’d imagine that with a boost pedal in front I could get more gain out of it if I needed. But in both clean and crunch settings The “Contour” knob is a great addition. Sort of like a “cut” knob, you can tame some high end if you’re using single coils. But to me, it was like changing the character of the amp. I could get rich, fluid tones out if it by turning the Contour down (high cut), or if I turned the Contour knob up the amp got more aggressive sounding and had a great sizzle and bite. Overall a great blend between a vox and marshall.

Oh yea… another really sweet feature is the bias adjustor thingamabob on the back. I guess it’s called the ORBA according to the website. Basically allows non-tech guys (like me) to easy adjust the bias of each power tube correctly. Has a light up meter thing to measure the current of each of the 2 power tubes. And this allows you to switch power tubes and bias the amp yourself. BUT also allows you to use 2 totally different kinds of power tubes and make sure each is biased correctly. I have yet to try this, as I’ve been enjoying the EL34’s, but I will definitely be trying this down the road.

Another cool thing was, when I was in the process of purchasing this amp from Brad Jackson, he was very responsive to any questions, emails, calls I made. Responded quickly, and he’s just a cool guy. I’m in Ca, and over here he had 3 of his amps that Michael Thompson was holding for him to sell in SO Cal. And I wanted a Britain in Red Tolex and 19 watt version. He had a Britain 50 watt version in black.. but had another amp in a Red Tolex cab. So he actually offered to fly over to LA from Texas, to switch the head cabinets and convert the 50 watt to 19 watts. Talk about customer service. It ended up that he didn’t have to, as MT’s tech was able to do the necessary changes. But I definitely appreciated the fact that Brad even considered doing that for me, so i wanted to give him props for that. Great guy to deal with and builds solid amps that sound great. definitely worth checking out.
    www.jacksonampworks.com

2. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

Thanks Mark! I'm glad that you dig the amp! :)

3. carltonh

carltonh Member

So Brad, will you be at the Dallas Guitar Show?

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

I always said Brad was a good guy;)

How're you doing, my man?

Best, Pete.

5. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

I most certainly will be at the Dallas Show. I'll be showing the following new items:

1x12 Combo - Front Ported with Removable Back for Open Back / Closed Back Tone
    2x12 Combo
    - Front Ported with Removable Back for Open Back / Closed Back Tone
    2x12 Extension Cabinet - Front Ported Thiele Design with Removable Back for Open Back / Closed Back Tone

Also, due to the overwhelming demand and number of requests that we had for an EL84 version of the Atlantic and the Britain, we'll be presenting two new amplifier models which are:

Atlantic SP - EL84 Cathode Biased version of the Atlantic complete with TRUE CLASS A HI/LO POWER switch (both settings still in Class A Operation). 30W / 10W

Britain SP - EL84 Cathode Biased version of the Atlantic complete with TRUE CLASS A HI/LO POWER switch (both settings still in Class A Operation). 30W / 10W

Thanks for your interest! Hope to see you there!

6. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

Things are going great! I'm crazy busy building amps and designing new products and loving every minute of it! :) How you been Pete?

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

that Orba thing and the mix and match octals .. very cool! But I wonder if you were to mix a 6L6 and EL34 if one or the other would dominate the sound or .. whatever might happen .. and if it would sound good.

8. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

Neither one really dominates the other since they are perfectly balanced and each are working exactly as hard as the other. Whether or not it sounds good is really up to each users ears. The point of the ORBA is to allow the user to experiment with tones that have previously been unavailable until now.

I expect that once players start to use this system more that we will see an increase in popularity of mismatched output tubes as a way of inventing new tones.
    :dude ;)

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

*cough* bass amp? *cough*

;)

10. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

:AOK

The idea is still in the works. I'm working on a guitar amp that has some of the same features as the bass amp (fx loops, etc) so I think those projects will best be done together. I certainly have not forgotten about it and I do appreciate your interest so much. :)

I'll certainly post here when I have something to mention regarding either amps.

Thanks again!

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Brad,

Do you have any up here in the North East?

I wish all craftsmen had as good a website as yours, very informative.

Best, Pete.

12. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

I don't have any up in the North East, but I'm currently seeking dealers, especially on the East and West coasts.

Thanks for the compliments on the site. I have been doing web design for several years, but it was nice to work on my own personal stuff for a change. I'm pleased that you like it and I hope that you find it useful. :)

13. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

The Atlantic clips sounded great, I think he was shooting for EVH tone, keep the clips coming!

14. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

You're exactly right! :AOK

The Atlantic was designed to get both the early and more modern EVH tone. In the Vintage Mode, the Atlantic has a gain structure that is very similar to the gain structure of a Marshall Plexi, but once the Modern Mode is selected, the available gain is increased allowing for more of the Modern Eddie tone.

I'll be posting clips of Michael Thompson playing the amps soon and I think you guys will really dig them!

Thanks again!