• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Jackson Ampworks McFly questions. Pedals?

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
While there is definitely good info out there on this amp, it's still hard to find info out like how it reacts to boost pedals, etc. I also wouldn't mind hearing more info and more reviews on it by the people that own it. Shawn Tubbs youtube video sent me over the edge and I swear it is one of the best sounding amps I've heard in the last decade for that style of tone. What boost pedals are you guys liking with it? specifically different overdrives, as well as clean boosts in general. I saw one poster said he had no problem with time based effects and delays etc running through the front end, do you find this to be true as well? I loved that youtube demo, which was done with a vintage 30 closed back cab, which is more my style anyways, but right now i have an avatar OS 2x12 with G12H30s, anyone have any air time with those speakers and the mcfly? Thanks for any help guys.

Ekluksdahl

Sorry I did not see this post before! I really use the McFly to its fullest extent volume wise so my needs for drives and boosts don't apply as much as it would others. I have used a Greer Lightspeed in 60's mode and CAL MK423 in 50's mode and have had great results! Recording I don't use anything but amp.
Speaker wise, Brad Jackson ideally paired an Alnico Gold with it. I prefer a higher powered Alnico.... So something like a Blackhawk HP or Celestion Alnico Cream would be my choice. The V30 with S. Tubbs sounded great.... Very woody and chewy..... I may have to try that!!

Last edited:

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
Thank you!!! The tone tubbs got flat out blew my head off, but given who he is and what an amazing professional he is, that's probably to be expected. One thing I remember seeing in the video was Shawn had the volume knob at like 9 o'clock at the max and had some SERIOUS break up tones going on, for much of the video. Granted, he was using A PRS DGT with humbuckers so maybe I'm underestimating how high output those pups really are but, was that video accurate tone wise to and you breakup wise?

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
Also has anyone compared the mc fly to their favorite say, super reverb for instance? Or how about the maz 18 or EZG 50??? These 3 amps are also on my radar and I'd love to hear someone that has played or owned some of these to chime in for comparison to the mcfly... I feel like the mcfly can do everything those amps can ( except maybe the maz vibe but maybe I'm wrong) and so much more: it really seems to be the greatest fender style amp out there that can REALLY do both 50s and 60s tones.

Ekluksdahl

Thank you!!! The tone tubbs got flat out blew my head off, but given who he is and what an amazing professional he is, that's probably to be expected. One thing I remember seeing in the video was Shawn had the volume knob at like 9 o'clock at the max and had some SERIOUS break up tones going on, for much of the video. Granted, he was using A PRS DGT with humbuckers so maybe I'm underestimating how high output those pups really are but, was that video accurate tone wise to and you breakup wise?
he also had the power down to probably 1-2 watts....the more power you give it the greater the headroom.....50's mode crunches up at around 10 o'clock or so.....dont let that fool you.....that will stay above a drummer no problem.....but again there is a high and low input, and power modes to give you more headroom... 60's mode has quite a bit more headroom..... my favorite is 70 watt mode cranked in 50's!

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks so much EKluk... Sounds like you are my only hope here, not much other info out there on the mcfly... Do you have any comparison info for me by any chance to the Amps in my post above? Or maybe just other amps in general you could give a comparison to?

Ekluksdahl

Thanks so much EKluk... Sounds like you are my only hope here, not much other info out there on the mcfly... Do you have any comparison info for me by any chance to the Amps in my post above? Or maybe just other amps in general you could give a comparison to?
The McFly is a heavily tweaked/modified and improved 50's tweed/60's blackface Bassman. This is of course an understatement.....but if you want to relate any other amps to the McFLy thats what I would say. The amp can do both 60's and 50's sounds....the 50's being more aggressive, and 60's being a bit more tame. The breakup on this amp is really spectacular.....roll the volume knob down for cleans.....it really doesn't get much better....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom