Jackson Ampworks ported cabs...any experience with them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Young Angus, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I just discovered these cabs and I'm in the market for a new good 212 cab. I've been thinking I want a 65 or a Komet cab lately but after seeing these they've got me interested.

I have a Komet 60 I will probably be using it with the most. I know nothing about these cabs and until recently thought the open back cabs were the thing for me (I only play 212s) but I was wondering just how these dual front ported things compared.

I play dirty kinda hard rock (think Black Crowes / Aerosmith) and other harder things, but just want great full tone.

Just how does the ported system Jackson Ampworks affect tone? All experiences would be great to hear on these.

Cheers,

YA

2. hktk

hktk Member

I havnt played on personally but the other guitarist in my band tried one out about a month ago with a Britain 3.0 and said it sounded massive.

I have always wondered how you would properly mic up a ported cab like this, as I am assuming a lot of the voicing of the cab comes from the porting.

3. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Well I want portability but I'd prefer the sound a of a bigger cab so this really appeals to me...just worried about the highs that sometimes come with a closed back cab and the whole "directional" thing but apparently this porting and a diffuser solves those issues.

Are they really that "massive" sounding?

I'm thinking about a 212 but now I'm kind of thinking of the possibility of two 112's :D

4. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

I use two 1 x 12's in stereo and it sounds great to me. Nice and portable too.

5. hktk

hktk Member

I'm using 2 1x12's but the cans arnt ported.

6. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

The 112's over here in Australia are pretty expensive but if I can order them from the USA it might be more worthwhile, I'd probably only get empty ones too and then fill them up with my own speakers here.

I just really want to know how the tone compares of a ported 212 compared to a good open back normal 212.

7. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

One of my main concerns would be if they are as "directional" as a closed back cab or is they have much more of a "room filling" vibe like an open back cab...anyone?

8. bpdeem

bpdeem Member

Um... YES!

These things sound absolutely huge! Granted I've only heard the Britain and Atlantic out of them. They're some of the hugest sounding amps I've ever plugged into! If the same goes with any amp in them, then try just 1 first. 2 might be total overkill. The build is solid, so you shouldn't have any regrets there if that is a concern.

9. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I am considering a Jackson Ported 212 cab and don't see many reviews on the cab, so I figured I would dig up this old thread to see if there are any new users that can provide some feedback.