Jackson Ampworks Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ekluksdahl, Jan 3, 2015.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The mains fuse (the one supplying power to the power transformer) has to be able to allow a high current draw for a little while (1/2 a second?) while the power supply caps charge up, so it needs to be a "slow blow" fuse. Further to that, using the standby switch allows an inrush of current that may even exceed what you'd get if the tubes were starting from cold. The whole "supplying power to cold tubes damages them" has been pretty well debunked, so here's what I'd do:
    1. Replace the mains fuse with the correct value of slo-blo fuse (I believe it'll be 1/2 the value of the American fuse).
    2. Pull the tubes, turn OFF the standby (in other words, have it in the playing position)
    3. Turn on the amp. If the fuse holds, then the transformers and power section are good. If it blows, you're going to have to send the amp in for repair/replacement.
    4. Replace the tubes, leave the standby off.
    5. Turn on the amp, if the fuse holds then you've solved your problem. If it blows you have a bad power tube.
    6. If the amp is working OK, and you don't mind sacrificing another fuse, try turning the standby into the standby position, turn on the amp, then turn the standby off. If the fuse blows, you know you just need to leave the darn standby switch alone!

2. Maxprs

Maxprs Member

So are you saying that I have to replace the tubes?
    I had an email from the support, where it says that the mains fuse has to be 3A. So I went to the shop and bought them.
    But now it seems to be that is has to be 1/2 that value. Maybe the original one F1.6A was the right value, only wrong because it was Fast instead of Slow.
    I think I went out to buy the fuses for nothing.
    I've asked here to know the correct value for both fuses with the EU voltage, and also asked that to the support.
    The conversation has been interrupted just when I needed to know the numbers.
    I hope that Jackson Ampworks will realize that a TGP user gave me 6 points instructions on what to do, they just sent few rows.
    I'm still waiting for a complete support from them.

3. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

I'm assuming because my question was ignored that they have no intentions of trying to rectify the Continuum issue. That kind of sucks being that the features it unlocks are part of the reason I bought the amp in the first place.

Josh

4. Maxprs

Maxprs Member

I got the answer... 3A slow blown is ok for the mains even for me.
    Everything is close now in Italy, tomorrow bank holiday... I don't have to wait until next Monday to buy a different fuse.

5. AtlMusicMan86

AtlMusicMan86 Silver Supporting Member

Figured I'd try on here.

I'm hoping that some Britain 4.0 owners can weigh in on this.

Ever since I bought the amp (original owner) the 50 watt mode has always been at the same output level as the 15 watt mode. This struck me as odd since I've owned a Britain 4.0 a few years back and that wasn't the case. The 30 watt was always louder than the 15 and the 50 was much louder than the 30. So, when I realized the output level was a bit off I went ahead and had the EL34s swapped out for new ones and rebiased. That didn't help, so I contacted the guys at Jackson and had the amp shipped to them to figure out what was wrong with it.

After about a month Juan contacted me and told me that a blown cap needed to be replaced. Cool. All is well now that my amp is fixed. Well, the amp gets back to me, I plug it in and the 50 watt mode is still significantly lower than the 30 watt mode. I speak with Brad about it and he mentions that nothing was wrong with the amp and that it could be bad tubes.

Ok. I understand that even new tubes can be bad right from the get go so I go ahead and do another retube and rebias and the output is still low. What the heck!

My question to you Britain 4.0 owners, is your 50 watt mode lower in output as well? It would only make sense that 50 watts would be much louder than 30 and more so than 15 watts.

All help is appreciated!

6. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

3A SLOW BLOW for MAINS FUSE (we ship with a 3A slow blow since the amps can be run either 120/240V)
    2A SLOW BLOW for B+ FUSE

7. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

I've already responded to you both publicly and privately regarding this issue. The only thing wrong with the amp is that for some reason, a person put a fast blow fuse in the amp when the panel on the amp clearly states that the fuse needs to be a SLOW BLOW fuse.

8. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

I checked your amp personally and all the voltages etc were spot on and I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I will say that the 30W mode is consistently the loudest mode on the amp with the 50W mode having a tighter and more percussive low end.

9. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

At this point we have no plans to release the continuum controller. That project was a side project for a firm that we were working with and it became clear over time that it was never going to be completed which left us dead in the water. After a year of development I made the difficult decision to pull the project including the Fullerton and Bakersfield amps pending a redesign. I apologize for the disappointment it has caused you....it has caused me more disappointment than you know.

guitrr likes this.
  10. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

So will you come up with a way for me to access the tremolo?

Josh

11. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

The tremolo function or the LFO originated in the Continuum Controller so without it there is no access to the tremolo.

12. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Can you by any chance do a comparison demo of the NC30, Scarlett and McFly?

13. noise'n'hum

noise'n'hum Supporting Member

I have a chance to get a used Britain 30 at $900, what do you think guys? Never had any JAW amps, so please share your opinion about such deal!

guitrr and Ekluksdahl like this.
  14. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

I have the Britain 4.0 and the 30 position on that amp is my favorite. If you are looking for a voxy type amp then I think you should go for it.

noise'n'hum likes this.
  15. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

That's a great deal. Now keep in mind the the 30 watt portion of the Britain 4.0 and the Britain 30 are two different amps. The Britain 30 is more in line with a top boost vox when plugged into the 1/2 input. And a great clean amp with a little hair when in the channel 2 input.

16. noise'n'hum

I have 2x12 closed back with Celestion EVH G12 20 Watt, is it fine cab for it for Top Boost type tone?

17. Ekluksdahl

Ekluksdahl Supporting Member

Never used that speaker before.... but give it a try!
    I think Brad prefers the alnicos with that particular amp.... however I've seen guys use JAW amps over 4x12's with Greenbacks and loved them!
    Killer deal! $900..... that's a steal!!
    I would definitely recommend putting a NOS EF86 tube in instead of a modern day one.... those EF86's made now don't last too long

noise'n'hum likes this.
  18. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

I would agree with Ekluksdahl on the NOS EF86. I took his advice and the results were very good. It sounded more stout and something else I can't explain. The difference was noticeable though, in a good way. I found an Amperex 6267 EF86 NOS West German Made for $10 from audiotubes.com ebay store.

Ekluksdahl and noise'n'hum like this.
  19. noise'n'hum

20. cpark227

cpark227 Silver Supporting Member

Hey Guys,
    I actually just picked up a scarlett 30 head. Was wondering if I should go 1x12 or 2x12? and any speaker recommendations. I see that a lot of JA cabs come with celestion golds...should i just go with those?