Jackson Rosewell Rhoads on ebay for $4000

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RSRD, Feb 11, 2006.

1. RSRD

RSRD Member

2. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

whats said there is all i know about it, i've always wanted one just cause they look damn cool, i love the scifi look of it. but i'd never pay the price they go for unless i won the lottery or something.

what i think would be really cool is to know what randy would think of it.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Make a cool weapon if I was in the band GWAR. :jo

4. -CM-

-CM- Something Clever Here Silver Supporting Member

The writeup in the book, The Guitar, doesn't contain much more information than the eBay auction about the actual guitar, other than it was inspired by the reported 1947 Roswell UFO events, and the crop circle inlays are inspired by those events. The seller doesn't mention that the fretboard is ebony on a Maple neck.

Looks pretty cool, but I can't imagine that it sounds very good. I bet it's really light weight.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I wonder what kind of pickup it has?

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Paul Shine has one prominently mounted on the wall at the Washington Music Center that he refuses to sell (I don't know how he got management to let him do that! :) ) because he says it's the penultimate guitar.

7. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Interesting thing about those...I was running a music store in 95 or 96 or so when those came out.

My Jackson rep told me how cool they were, and really wanted us to order one. I said it was way too weird looking, and I'd never be able to sell it. The original price was very reasonable, IIRC. He explained to me how they were building only a limited number, they were made of aluminum, blah, blah, blah.

I relented and bought one for the store, and he confided in me that they didn't even finish the entire run (around that time anyway) due to lack of interest from dealers. Mine sat for nearly a year before it sold.

Now, they are collectors items. I saw one sell for the 4K range about a year ago.

I just find it interesting the way demend turned around like that over a 10 year period...

8. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

It looks like something George Jetson or Mr. Spacely would play. Definitely has the look of some of the "hi-tech" kitchen furnishings of that decade.

Definitely not for me.

9. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

They were expensive when they came out and have always been pricey. They made just a handful so it's difficult to find one let alone at a bargain price. For me-

Pros- Interesting interpretation of the original. I love the aluminum body and LSR tuners, etc.

Cons- I'm not into the "outer space" theme. I have no interest in a guitar with an alien theme so that pretty much kills it for me.

10. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

I think it looks pretty cool but I'm not really into the overtly phalic headstock, though it looks fitting for that guitar. I would love to try it out but not for $4000.

11. Kappy

Kappy Member

I could dig crop circle pattern inlays. But I think it would be cooler if it was like one bigger pattern across about 7 frets. I think it'd look pretty cool on just about any guitar.

12. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

They made two versions of this guitar. This one and a wood body one, which was made overseas, IIRC. I have a buddy who used to own one of the cheaper ones. Somewhat like a V in sound quality, definitely not my thing.

13. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

I don't remember them being that expensive, relative to other stuff we sold (CS Gibsons, PRS, etc)