Jackson Soloist price check

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rob2001, Feb 12, 2008.

1. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I know there aren't a lot of Jackson guys here but I love them. The guitar is an 88' custom Soloist in gun metal grey made in Ontario with an original Floyd and 3 mini toggles for pickup selectors. It has two Jackson singles and someone put in an EMG 81 at the bridge. ( I'd replace that if I can swing this sale). It's in decent shape for an 88' with decent frets and a few chips and dings. Plays like a dream.

Anyhow, I'm wondering what a fair price would be to offer. It's technically not for sale at the moment. Any thoughts? Thanks, Rob

2. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Pointies just aren't that desirable, Charvel, Jackson or otherwise no matter how good a guitar they really 'are,' that headstock just seems to do them in out there in the market. I've owned a few and they were all great guitars but even in perfect condition you're looking at an $800 guitar plus or minus. I bought an '86 Jackson Telecaster H/S/S w Kahler for $750 and if it didn't WEIGH so much I'd never have sold the guitar, it just had 'it' but it was a beast and I foolishly let it go. Gun Metal Grey, not that popular a colour in the resale market either.

I'd say keep the guitar and enjoy it, it's really not 'worth' selling and it works for you so enjoy.

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'm thinking of buying this guitar, not selling! I should have stated that better.

Thanks for your thoughts... pretty much what I was thinking. I figured from $500.00 to $700.00 I know they do seem out of style but I love em. I have a 91' Soloist also. Fortunately I don't care about whats "in" or not. It actually should work to my favor being out of style!

Any other thoughts?

4. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Jackson Floyd Rose I'm assuming, not the best unit out there but serviceable. If you can get it for $500 it's a steal, but even at $700 it's a great deal. I think they're highly under rated guitars; put on a Strat style headstock and it would be worth a hell of a lot more and perform no differently; well minus the obligatory "Pour some sugar on me" requests during the evening anyway... :rolleyes:

Some good folks to ping at USA Charvels if you're really interested in getting more intel, no comment on JCF.

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

No, it's a real Floyd. An old one. It really is a hell of a nice guitar. I'm not sure he really wants to sell it but I know he's trying to raise cash for an AC 30. I've had it here for a few weeks. I did a string change and a setup/intonation on it for him and i'm really diggin it!

6. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

I'm a big Jackson fan! That pointy headstock is the best looking ever IMHO :) Anyway, Gun Metal Gray is actually a pretty popular color on the Jackson/Charvel forum. An Original Floyd Rose is fine and even if its the Jackson branded one, those work fine too and the post spacing is identical to an OFR so if you want to replace it, its no big deal and no mods required. The Jackson pickups are well liked by many although I personally replace mine with aftermarket pickups. I also don't mind the 3 mini toggle switches but most Jackson fans prefer the three way toggle or blade switch. Really a lot of it is a matter of preference. Back in 1987, all USA Jacksons were custom ordered so you got what you wanted. $500 is pretty low for any year Soloist, I'd say from your description its probably an $800-1000 guitar depending on how bad the "dings" are. Hard to tell without seeing it or at least pix of it. These are incredibly nice playing guitars so if you buy it, be prepared to go on the hunt for more Jacksons after that, it never ends :)

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Thanks for that info Roody. Now that I think of it, i'm a member of the Jackson forum! I'll have to nose around there and see what they might have to say. I bought my 91' Soloist in the early 90's for $550.00 and it's been my main guitar since. It sat for a few years while I entertained other guitars for my number one. I picked it up after not playing it for 2 years and it just felt like home. I'm happy with mine but this one is in better shape and I love the color. Also, mine has the active mid-boost circuit,(J-2000?) which is awesome for me on overdriven sounds but it doesn't clean up very well. I'm running a Duncan Custom Custom, A lace hot gold and a Duncan Lil' 59 at the neck pos. I'm not sure if the guy is lookin to sell but I'm thinkin if I made him a fair offer he may sell it. It probably is in the upper end as far as condition and worth. Maybe tomorrow i'll grab some pics of it.

8. HighwayStar

HighwayStar Member

The Soloist is a neck-through design. How would you propose to change the headstock on it?

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I think he meant if it were designed with a strat-type headstock.

10. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

I have to agree with just about everything Drew said including the value...although likely $800 even if it is dinged a bit here and there. Two things of note:
    -Drew...I think he is looking at buying the guitar in question
    -pointies are VERY desirable to the people who like pointies but still, overall Drew's take on the general market is probably pretty accurate.