Jackson Surfcaster neck ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dju, Jun 1, 2015.

1. dju

dju Member

I almost pulled the trigger on a Jackson Surfcaster on ebay over the weekend but didn't because of some concerns about the neck shape. I was able to find some reviews saying the neck was thin. Kind of like an Ibanez neck. Can somebody please give more details on neck shape for these guitars in case another comes up in the future?
    I like the thin 60's neck shape of a Gibson Les Paul but I don't like the wide/thin necks on Ibanez guitars.
    I have a Robin Medley that has the wide/thin neck and it just sets in it's case until I decide to sell it.

thanks,
    dj

2. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

It should be a Charvel, not a Jackson

The neck is thin like an Ibanez, but not wide. It's probably closer to the 60's LP neck, maybe a little wider.

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

There is a Jackson Surfcaster. Mine is three lipstick pickups and a gumby body shape. Yes the neck is very thin. Probably the thinnest neck on any guitar I own. No 60s shred machines though. As for width I don't recall it is particularly wide though. Still, if you can't live with a thin neck, I think it is a risky buy.

hunter

4. dju

dju Member

Your right about Charvel making them but they also made Jackson surfcasters as well. Not sure why but they did.

thanks,
    dj

5. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

[​IMG] mine was 2 lipsticks and a Charvel, but it was an early one

they probably switched to Jackson later - didn't know

GibsonLives likes this.
  6. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Surfcaster came out around 1990 under the Charvel brand, and was MIJ. In the middle of the decade, they became Jacksons, production moved to India, and quality went to seed, from my understanding.

Necks on the MIJ models are very shallow but not particularly wide. Not sure about the Indian Surfies.

Fatboy, she's pretty as ever, and in good hands. Love the Surfy you sold me!

Steve

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  7. burntumbers

burntumbers Member

I had an Outcaster.

I remember the neck being thin but not wide.
    found it nice for bends.

I've played some cheaper Washburns with similar feeling necks if that does anything for you.