Jackson?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Boomdoggy, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

I have a guitar coming from ebay.A Jackson SLS USA.I have never been a huge Jackson fan ,but I had to pull the trigger on this one.The specs are very anti-Jackson.24 3/4,mahogany,SD '59-Pearly Gates,NO FLOYD.The only thing really Jackson is the finish-Snakeskin.The specs are everything that I like.I usually only buy quilt tops.but this guitar looks sick.Has anybody played a SLS?

2. Boomdoggy

3. Buffaloe

Buffaloe Member

Isn't that one also known as a "Soloist?" I played one once in a store and really liked the buttery low action. I just couldn't see myself standing on stage belting out "How Blue Can You Get" with something that slinky hung on me. It's a nice guitar though. Enjoy it. It's all good.

4. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

The SLS (Soloist Superlight) is the best thing they've made in years. Of course, they recently discontinued it. :^|

I missed out on one at Atlanta Music Brokers a few months back, and was majorly bummed. I'd spent a fair amount of time with it over a couple months (wasn't going anywhere, according to the store), finally decided to go work a deal, and it was gone. :^(

5. Boomdoggy

Sorry,yes it is a superlight.I play blues also.I would have never thought of considering a Jackson,but it just sounds perfect for me.It is a compound radius,so it is not flat down the whole neck.Did it feel a liitle less flat?
    Eristic-I hate when that happens.I remember an old ,kind of beat LP custom from years ago.I told the owner every time I played it,that I wanted it.It was gone the day I had the cash in my hand.That guitar played and sounded great.I imagine Jackson discontinued them because they aren't what most Jackson players want.:rolleyes:

6. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I haven't played that model, but I have had great experiences with Jacksons and Charvels - and I am not a heavy metal player. I own a Dinky DK27 baritone, a Phil Collen quilt top, and a Charvel frankenstrat. All are well made and high quality guitars that are fun to play and sound great. They don't have brand name cache, but are undervalued in my opinion.

7. Boomdoggy

BigDoug-I would never question their quality.They are very nice guitars.Some of the Collens look incredible.I just hate Floyds with a passion.I would love to have a PC with a fixed bridge.

8. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

It's 12"-16", so the lower frets feel kinda like a Les Paul. Higher up, though, it starts getting pretty flat.

9. hear and play

hear and play Member

The big issue will likely be the neck profile. Most Jacksons have thin necks.

I owned a previous version of the SLS (1998 guitar). There was a lot to like about it, but I didn't like the neck profile.

10. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

The profile on the most recent incarnation of the SLS is a standard Soloist profile, which falls pretty squarely in the medium camp, .790"-.850". Neither a baseball bat like an LTD Rhoads (which was basically a Les Paul neck), nor like a DK1 or Speed Neck. Now, the flattish "D" backshape definitely bothers some people, and might give the impression of the neck being on the thin side...

11. Boomdoggy

Hopefully I will have a review on Thursday.I don't really like flat,thin necks at all,but this is supposed to have the medium Soloist neck.With jumbos and the compound radius,I am hoping for the best.

12. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

thats a beauty!!!!

i dont own a jackson, but i love em. i've been wanting an rr5 in white with pinstripes for a loooong time. i played one that i would have bought if i could have afforded it at guitar center for a long time, i played it everytime i went in there and one day she was gone. :(

it had the most amazing sustaine i've ever heard in a guitar, it rang for days.:dude

13. Boomdoggy

Motorhead-Thanks .I am waiting by the door hoping it comes today.I was sitting on ebay that night knowing I could only afford one more guitar for a long time.As usual I was looking at all of the quilt tops I could find.I already have some quilts ,so out of the blue I decided to look for something different.The SLS was just put on and was getting a bunch of looks.I searched to check the specs out and decided to give it a try.I figured if I would have waited it would have been gone.

14. Boomdoggy

OK,here is my 1 day report.
    Quality-Fantastic.The guitar is extremely solid.The finish is perfect.When the owner said unplayed condition,he was being modest.You couldn't find a cleaner new guitar.The binding goes completely around the guitar.I don't think I could take a pic that would truly show the finish.It looks way deeper in real life.Very nice.All top notch.The in lays are sweet as well.Mop blocks with an Abalone slash through the middle.The Sperzels keep the guitar perfectly in tune.
    Sound and play-Sounds fantastic."59 and Pearly Gates.Only gripe is no coil splitting.IMO,every HBing guitar should have a splitting option.It's plays fine.It does still have the flat Jackson feel,but the action is fantastic.Blues are no problem and shredding is a breeze(It is a Jackson afterall).I don't like flat boards,but this one is really no problem.
    1 major gripe.This is a very expensive,high quality guitar.Putting it in a SKB style plastic case is close to a sin.Why ,why,why!!!!!!!??????I am going to look for a real wood snakeskin case for it.

Overall-The Jackson isn't going to replace my Chafin anytime soon,but this a wonderful guitar.Besides the case,I would give Jackson an A- for this guitar.I am now wating for my new Chafins to arrive.I am once again flat out broke,but I couldn't be happier
    :) :)

15. Boomdoggy

Forgot to mention.The neck is not a thin shredder neck.It actually feels pretty thick.Quick guess would be between a PRS widethin and widefat.

16. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Yo Boom-d. Glad to hear the guitar made it and you like it. That's the big risk of buying on Ebay - you really don't know if it will be a match made in heaven or hell until you strap the puppy on and play it. I had a feeling it would be a pleaser, though. Jacksons - undervalued gems!

keep on playing!

17. Boomdoggy

Bd-Thanks,I know what you're saying.I could probably buy a Benz with the money I have lost on ebay guitars.I will agree totally,the Jackson is a fine guitar,and they should not be written off as 80's guitars.

18. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

man, the neck sounds perfect for me. hopefully i dont come across one or i'll want it lol. the lack of the floyd is appealing too, i have a floyd equiped guitar and really i barely use it. i play the guitar alot, but the floyd rarely gets used.

i love 80's guitars myself, i love the neon colors and funky shapes, and even thought most would have em a floyd would never stop me from buying a guitar, but i really cant say i'd purposly buy one now.

19. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

The nicer G&G cases Jackson has used recently have become notorius for snapping necks/headstocks. :^|

20. Boomdoggy

Motorhed-I loved 80's guitars before,but I think I just got sick of them.Some are still pretty cool.
    Eristic-Thats scary.You might scare me into keeping that nasty case.What is causing the breaks?