Jacques Fuseblower 2 ????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

Has anyone here ever heard of this pedal, or had any expirience with it?
    I had a trade offer on it for a Fulltone '69 and I no nothing about it.
    Thanks for all of your help,
    Mass

Here's the link... never heard of one before.
    http://www.ts808.com/

2. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

I've got one, and I dig it plenty. Extremely versatile little (really little) distortion box. The clips on the site mostly go for classic tones, but there are modern sounds in there as well. The only downside is that with six highly interactive knobs to tweak, you need to be a more disciplined note-taker than I am to find the same one twice.

Fiddliness has led me to consider moving it on occasion, but the variety of inspiring tones keeps me from pulling the trigger. Hint: since the BLOW controls are already giving you plenty of distortion, a little FUZZ goes a long way.

As far as the trade goes, I don't know what the market value of a used '69 would be. FB2s seem to go for 70-90 depending, and the two pedals have little in common tonewise.

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thank you vey much.
    Sounds like the pedal you may want to rival a Jeckyll and Hyde with...
    that really helped me out, and i appreciate.
    Take care,
    Mass

4. utterhack

De nada!

I have no experience with the J&H, but I can attest that the FB2 takes up about half as much space. It will not, however, do the smooth/low-gain/TS808 thing nearly as well. For that, there's the Tubeblower...

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Help me understand...what will not do the ts-808 thing as well?
    The J&H has a TS-808 circuit in it.
    The right side is basically a TS-808 and the right side is more wired like a Marshall governor.
    It's a two in one cascading pedal.
    Is the Tubeblower more of a high gain Dist. pedal specifically?
    Thanks, just trying to understand
    Peace,
    Mass

6. utterhack

Mass - as you know, the J side of the JH will do the TS808 thing beautifully. The FB2 definitely leans more toward distortion than overdrive.

The Tubeblower is a different Jacques pedal from the FB2. It's his TS808 hommage and a very nice little box in its own right. Apologies for the naming confusion.

7. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Well, I thank you all.
    I was trying to trade a '69 for another type of fuzz pedal.
    Someone offered me the tubeblower, but I think I have OD/ Dist covered with the J&H, so trading the TB for the 69' would only leave me with two Dist pedals. While we are at it, how does the TB compare in tonal quality to the J&H?
    Thanks and take care,
    Mass

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

+1 to everything utterhack said! I love getting BUSH tones outta the Fuseblower 2. Everything ZEN, Glycerine, Machinehead ETC. Fun!!! :D

It also does some great fuzz tones!

9. utterhack

CrucibleFan is far, far too kind. I'm honest, but all experiences are entirely subjective, your mileage may vary, etc etc.

That said, I'm sorry to report that while I do dig the FB2, I think the Fuseblower Chris Whitley used was the handbuilt, which I have yet to taste.

They were going for $150-200, but suddenly Analog Mike has one posted for $295 on the claim that Jacques ain't building no more. Since they're still listed with some of the Jacques merchants, this bears further investigation... In the meantime, it's also far more information than you need - sorry!

10. utterhack

Sadly, I know the J&H by reputation only. If it's as true to the TS808 circuit as they say it is, the TB adds separate low and high EQ, and can do both higher and lower gain. And ees so tiny!

So the TB wins on features, but I can't compare tones, which is what it ultimately comes down to. That said, I do like what I get out of that box, and it's likely to survivemy impending dirtbox herd-thinning, which puts it in some pretty good company.