jacques prisoner

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by parkerbro, Jul 14, 2006.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

has anyone tried one? what do you think? thanks!

2. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I just sold mine. To be honest I liked:

The small footprint
    The ability to get a nice long delay (at least for me, I blieve you can get 3 seconds)
    The buffer was nice
    The modulation could be used, and not sound bad
    The knobs worked and really impacted the delay
    It worked well with Humbuckers

I sold it. Why?

I want the Fulltone TTE. i thought about the cornish, but forget it. The The TTE is a classic sound, that in my opinion cannot be duplicated. The discussion about this, may be another topic all together.

3. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

does this pedal have stereo outs? if so, it sounds like the delay for me :)

4. drolling

drolling Member

mono in & out - and that's .3 seconds, or 300 ms.. 1/3 of a sec, just like the old analog delays (BOSS, WayHuge, etc..)

5. drolling

drolling Member

the modulation's just killer, BTW.. Check fatback's demo for the Prisoner in action - or the clips @ts808.com - very accurate examples.

6. themusicboxstudios

:( ... too short for me.

7. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Its longer than you think. sorry for the 3 second representation....

8. themusicboxstudios

memory lane was perfect for me @ 500 ... but sometimes i wanted to do the REALLY long rung out chord stereo repeat like in the echoczar videos ...

9. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Just got a Prisoner on Tuesday. I've really only had one night with it and am hesitant to give my full report. I hope to spend more time with the Prisoner this weekend. Here are my initial impressions:

Very clean sound. Cleaner than any analog delay pedal I own and I own several.
    Very quiet.
    Perfect size foot print.
    Not aesthetically pleasing to look at in my opinion. Would love to re-box it.
    I haven't warmed up to the modulation yet. I am comparing it to the modulation of the Deluxe Memory Man that I have had for years. I find that the modulation pot is not very tapered. Either not enough modulation or too much. Could be me and I will need to learn to work with it more.

I find the Level pot to be a real enigma. It really changes the delay experience, but I am not comfortable with it yet. This pot may be the key to the whole pedal.

I am enjoying this pedal but am not sure if it will kick anything off my board yet. I presently own several Ibanez models, Maxon models, an EH DDM true bypass (analogman), Way Huge Aquapuss, Washburn, MXR and a few echoplex models (EP3 and 4). I am a bit taken with analog delay. In fact, it is my favorite time-based effect. I am on the quest for the perfect analog delay. Collect the whole set.

I am presently waiting (patiently) for an EchoCzar/Angel Baby and will eventually pick up a TTE. I also want to try the Diamond, but have not had the opportunity to do so. Most curious about what DonneR is up to as well.

I reserve the right to change my opinion after the weekend band practice and jam festivities.

10. erksin

erksin Member

I dig mine a lot - I'm not a delay junkie, but in my limited experience it's a great sounding pedal. I've owned an EM-5, DOD 680, and still have an Arion SAD-1. The modulation feature and cleaner-than-average warm analog repeats are why I love it so much. A touch of modulation with slapback and I'm in heaven...

11. trucks

trucks Member

I'm with erskin on this one. The prisoner sounds noticeably more rich and full with just a touch of modulation. Very warn, clean delays for an analog pedal. Extremely quiet! If a short analog delay works for you then this one is a real bargain. It is not so ugly in person...

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I too wish it looked better. The sounds are fantastic though from what I've heard in clips.

13. erksin

erksin Member

I agree - the Mod pot is pretty sensitive on mine too, I usually don't go past 9 or 10:00 on mine.

The Level pot is also tricky, but you're right - it's the key, IMO.

14. sssmile

sssmile Member

If you guys ever sell one let me know I just missed the one on the boards that was for sale. I found them new at $200 shipped, but anytime you can buy used, for me is the way to go:)

15. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

so anyone else can testify on this one...I'm about to bite: either Diamond Memory Lane or this Prisoner pedal. BTW, IYO 300 ms
    for U2 esque rhythms?

16. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

Is this pedal line level?

Anyone know in comparison to the MXR Carbon Copy?

17. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

I was very disappointed with the Prisoner and ended up returning it. Perhaps the unit was faulty but when I turned the delay time up close to full the unit produced a very, very prominent synthetic tone that sounded awful to my ears. The retailer that sold it to me said that analog delay's will sometimes have audible clocking noise at higher delay level settings. I could probably live with that if the delay time was longer in the first place but with the Jacques the higher delay times were completely unusable. Has anyone else experienced this? :confused:

18. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Mine sounds good. Very. Like it with gain tone and clean sound. Not as sloppy as DM-2 (which I use a lot), but maybe better for gain than DM-2. I use mod part for a little movement. Nice.

DS

19. readymade

readymade Supporting Member

I had one, and I liked it for the most part, except that it would produce an odd kind of 'thunk' when the strings were hit with some force. I've had other analog delays that didn't do this. Maybe this is what you're talking about? It annoyed me enough that I eventually got rid of it.

20. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

Any prisoner owners have their own favorite settings for getting nice tape style warble/flutter..etc?