Jaguar experience?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Braunzo, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

Thinking about taking the plunge on the Johnny Marr Jag. Hard to kind of try one out as there aren't really any around here. Jags of any sort, really. I'm kind of wanting to know what to expect mostly in terms of sound.

I'm not too worried about the shorter scale length as I have a Les Paul junior that I dig quite a bit. So I'm no stranger to the 24" scale. I have no problem with the 7.25" radius or the vintage frets either.

I guess my main question is what is the sound. Marr makes it sound incredible in those videos. However, I'm not really a Marr-esque player. I wish I was, but I'm not. I'm a rock dude that over time has been playing with less and less distortion. I do the Jeff Buckley sound quite a bit recently. Just looking for chords to sound big and clear. I play in a 90's cover band and I'm not sure how it would fit into the mix with me being the only guitar player.

This just seems like THE guitar to make me think a bit differently and have another sound to the arsenal of guitars I have.

How would you describe a Jaguar's sound?

2. bobetman

bobetman Member

if youre looking for that 90s grungy sound....definetly go for the jaguar, dont even think about it twice

jaguars are great instruments regardless of people saying they sound thin etc, the modern improvements to the johnny marr jag complement its faithfulness to vintage specs, a great guitar!!

i say go for it:D

3. josuwa

josuwa Member

The tone isn't really big. More snappy-like...

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Think of those surf tunes & spy movie tunes from back in the day. A Jaguar has a particular percussive, snappy twang that I've not heard elsewhere...definitely its own thing. One cool thing I like about the classic Jaguar is its flip up string mute (the Marr version apparently doesn't have this)...its a fun effect in the right song that you can't really duplicate with palm muting. And it also shares the lead & rhythm preset wiring of the Jazzmaster.

5. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

For me the Jaguar has a ton of the great Fendery tones with a refined twist. It can be just as thick and full as other guitars as well especially with the neck pickup.

6. MatthewK

MatthewK Member

You lose the big ringy tone of a well set up Tele - some of the energy goes into the ghost tones of the short string lengths behind the bridge. With a proper setup and decent gauge strings - the Jag was designed for 12s - you get an instrument which is easy to play and has a sharp, hard attack. The rhythm circuit gives you some deeper, woolier tones for subdued playing. It's a very comfortable instrument to play but you really need to try one to see if you like the sound.
    As you can see, I do:
    [​IMG]

7. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Very snappy, slicing sound. Not full and beefy at all....much more trebly. Put some flat wounds on it and it'll sing. DO IT

8. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

Lots of fun. Not what i would reccomend to a hard rock or "blues lead" player but still inspiring. Probably the most recorded guitar-instrument on television shows and commercials of the 60's and 70's from what i can tell.

9. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I've decided to get a JMJ, as well. Can't wait.
    As a side note, there appears to be some lack of consensus as to where the JMJs are being made... MIM or MIA. Anyone have the inside track on this one?

10. Braunzo

They are American. The three digit code at the beginning of the product number indicates country of origin.

11. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Pre 1964 Jaguar pickups are fairly beefy. They are a bit different sounding than the others.

12. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

yeah, there's a cool percussiveness almost to the Jag sound I really like.
    Johnny Marr sig is definitely on my radar.

13. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Cool! So you've seen the JMJ up close? What did you think?

Or are you going by the website?

14. Braunzo

Going off the website. The 011 is US and 014 is Mexican I believe.

15. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Yeah. 011 denotes MIA. Thanks!

I'm going to place my order in the next couple of days, by the way. I wonder if the orange is going to miraculously become available before April. It would suck to wait that long...

Anyone seen one in person?

16. Braunzo

My Fender rep was saying around 60 days availability. So that puts us at April. With hopefully no backlog.

17. Braunzo

Bit the bullet and ordered one today. Metallic KO! Heck yes! Now for the wait.

18. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Who'd you order from?

19. Braunzo

I ordered it through the guitar shop I work at. Our Fender Rep was in yesterday. Good timing, lol.

20. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I have owned two, but that was decades ago and I had a lousy amp at the time. I play with a guy who has a pre-CBS Jag, and it's probably the way he plays and the settings he uses, but I hate the way it sounds. Way too skronky, snappy and twangy. Definitely rubs me like nails on a blackboard. I'd say go out and play some Jags and see what you think before you lay down coin for the JM.