Jaguar - HH Hardtail

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I'm thinking about picking up a used MIM blacktop HH hardtail Jaguar. I can get one cheap locally.

My reasoning is:

1. I like the comfort and feel of the rounded Strat and Jag body, but not the longer Strat scale (small hands).
  2. I don't want or need a trem
  3. I don't like single coils

Are there any other short scale Fender-ish (Jag or Strat type) guitars I should be looking at that are HH, 24 - 24 3/4 scale, no trem, with a hardtail. Any custom builders do this sort of thing regularly as a standard model (not one-off or occasional).

Waiting for smart arse remarks that HH and no trem aren't a Jag. Yes I know this.

The Gibson scale is what will throw you off. Choose whatever Fender blacktop guitar you like and get a conversion neck for it. Problem solved.

Fuzz Pig

I have the p90 Blacktop Jag and really like it. There are some things you should know:
1. The volume and tone pots need to be changed. You're probably better off getting all new electronics.
2. My tech had to shim the neck a bit to get the action to where I wanted it.
I'd factor at least that first point into your cost. Ignore the Jag purists--it's a cool guitar.

Multicellular

I'm thinking about picking up a used MIM blacktop HH hardtail Jaguar. I can get one cheap locally.

My reasoning is:

1. I like the comfort and feel of the rounded Strat and Jag body, but not the longer Strat scale (small hands).
  2. I don't want or need a trem
  3. I don't like single coils

Are there any other short scale Fender-ish (Jag or Strat type) guitars I should be looking at that are HH, 24 - 24 3/4 scale, no trem, with a hardtail. Any custom builders do this sort of thing regularly as a standard model (not one-off or occasional).

Waiting for smart arse remarks that HH and no trem aren't a Jag. Yes I know this.
I like the comfort and feel too, though the Jaguar is pushing it for me with scale length (don't have small hands).

Ya they don't sound like a regular Jag, but I have one (a p90s one) and it sounds good. However, the scale length is part of their sound.

Tonebender

Silver Supporting Member
Had some quality time with a MIJ HH. Real fun to play.... I think you have to be fan of vintage frets to properly get along with this one. Pickups are nothing special and super flat.

The one I played was black/Crimson burst with matching headstock. Looked sharp!

solarplexus

I used to have that CIJ Jaguar HH. It played better than most guitars I have ever had. Sold it to pay rent. I'll snatch another one of these days.

b80

How much shorter is the Jag scale VS the Jazzmaster scale. I've always wanted to try a Jag but am hesitant because I'm used to the Jazzmaster scale.

I do own a Telecaster and enjoy playing that. Is a Jag shorter?

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
How much shorter is the Jag scale VS the Jazzmaster scale. I've always wanted to try a Jag but am hesitant because I'm used to the Jazzmaster scale.

I do own a Telecaster and enjoy playing that. Is a Jag shorter?
Jazz = 25 1/2
Tele = 25 1/2
Jag = 24

The Pawnshop Series Mustang Special is an awesome guitar. They play great (9.5" fretboard radius), sound great, and are extremely light and comfortable. I had an early one (2011) that was CIJ. From 2012 they moved production to Mexico. The CIJ model has the truss rod adjustment at the base of the neck, and I think the MIM version has truss rod adjustment at the headstock. Other than that, basically the same. You can find these for around $500 used. The pickups are pretty good (WR humbuckers), and the split options allow for lots of tonal variety. I wish I hadn't let mine go. Really sweet short scale guitars.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
The Pawnshop Series Mustang Special is an awesome guitar. They play great (9.5" fretboard radius), sound great, and are extremely light and comfortable. I had an early one (2011) that was CIJ. From 2012 they moved production to Mexico. The CIJ model has the truss rod adjustment at the base of the neck, and I think the MIM version has truss rod adjustment at the headstock. Other than that, basically the same. You can find these for around $500 used. The pickups are pretty good (WR humbuckers), and the split options allow for lots of tonal variety. I wish I hadn't let mine go. Really sweet short scale guitars.
I'd love one of those, but I dont think I could bond with the WR humbuckers. I'm a tweaker who likes to swap. Does anyone make a replacement pickguard that could mount standard hums?

kdc113

I'd love one of those, but I dont think I could bond with the WR humbuckers. I'm a tweaker who likes to swap. Does anyone make a replacement pickguard that could mount standard hums?
Warmoth I think make HH Mustang pickguards.

Quote: "I'd love one of those, but I dont think I could bond with the WR humbuckers. I'm a tweaker who likes to swap. Does anyone make a replacement pickguard that could mount standard hums?"

The WR humbuckers in the Mustang Special are the same size as regular humbuckers. No need for a new pickguard if changing pickups.

Trending Topics