Jaguar HH

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mrkbrks, Dec 17, 2009.

1. mrkbrks

mrkbrks Member

I'm still looking for a guitar. MF has a Jag on sale for $475. Is this a pretty well made guitar?

2. mrkbrks

mrkbrks Member

3. Griz

Griz Member

Haven't seen one in the flesh, but it looks interesting.

I assume its MIM. I have several recent MIM Teles, and I'd say that in general the MIM products are a step up from what they were even just a few years back.

Price is tempting...

Best of luck with your decision.

4. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Very cool stuff I am interested in one myself. If they feel and play like a few of the Jaguar basses I have played recently then I bet they are pretty stellar!

5. Dale

Dale Member

I have the classic player sunburst one, and have had it about a 6 mo to a year. It is a nicely put together guitar that plays well. It is brighter than you might imagine, but not harsh. The pups are good enough it is one of the few guitars I have not switched the pups on as yet. It has the smaller medium fret wire and relatively small neck. The coils taps (variable) are usable, and the bass cut does have times I have used it. Good price.

[​IMG]

6. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr Member

I played one of these a couple of days ago and REALLY liked it. I'm already a huge fan of 24" scale guitars, and fender offsets in general, but not a big humbucker fan. The coolest part for me was the change in the upper controls. The switch is a kill switch and the two thumbwheels act as coil splitters. All the way in one direction is the full humbucker and all the way the other way is just one coil. So, you can blend in how much of the second coil you want, which gives you a pretty much limited number of sonic possibilities. I may have to snag one at some time, though I wish they'd do some cooler colors. I'm pretty sick of seeing sunburst, white, and candy apple red in these offset reissues.

7. stashman

stashman Supporting Member

They're made in Japan and they're pretty darn good

8. mrkbrks

mrkbrks Member

How do all the switches work?

9. LensOfMadness

LensOfMadness Member

I've played a few of these and they've all felt nice to me. From what I remember $475 sounds great for one, too. I think I was seeing them for $700 and change or something.

10. Dale

Dale Member

Upper switch is on-off. Wheels are variable coil taps. Two of the lower switches are on-off for the pups. Third is a low cut. Volume and tone control.

11. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr Member

Not the one pictured above.

These are Japanese-made:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These are Mexican-made (Classic Player Series):

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Dale

Dale Member

My classic player is darn good as well.

13. Simon Langley

Simon Langley Member

Just pulled the trigger on one. Will let you know what I think when it arrives.

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

That black and chrome CIJ was the subject of the "Fender Friday" phone only blowouts at Musicians Friend this past summer. $ 299. I quickly ordered one (almost two) because I figured: how could a CIJ like this not be worth $ 299?

Then I quickly located not one but two of them to try out, after researching them hard. First the smaller shop. Dreadful, absolutely a piece of garbage. But I said, relax, it is a fluke. I went and saw the other at Best Buy (really!!) and it was so clean and new but it was simply all wrong. Just an unplayable thing. The T O M, the stop piece, the knobs. Gaudy and embarrassing. The pickups are stupendously bad, IMO.

I canceled the order to Musicians Friend and they canceled the charge on my card.

Played a couple since. No regrets. If you're gonna get this model, get the trem version.

15. Simon Langley

Simon Langley Member

Have read plenty of reviews going both directions on these guitars. It seems that the haters are tried and true real offset aficionados and those of us who aren't (like me) have been pretty happy with them. I don't doubt that they are on clearance because they weren't that popular but I am primarily a bassist who is looking for a versatile guitar with many different sounds primarily for recording. This guitar, especially for the price, seemed right up my alley. Besides I have always been a sucker for the Jaguar/Jazzmaster body shape. It may not be a very good Jaguar but it seems like it will be a good guitar at a good price.

16. Simon Langley

Simon Langley Member

Got the guitar yesterday and have had a chance to mess around with it. Initial impressions were OK but was having trouble staying in tune and the strings that were on it were way too light and loose. Changed them to a set of DR 10-52 and that brought it around. Its a 2007 model and it looked like it had D'Addarios on it (each ball end was a different color). Thought this was strange since I figured it would come with Fender strings. Played much better with a new set of strings and action adjustment. Was nice to see that even after sitting around for 2+ years the neck didn't need adjustment.

Interesting electronics but I think the entry above got it wrong. It appears that the three lower switches are on/off for both pickups and the low cut and a master volume and tone. The switch on the upper horn appears to bypass all the lower controls and turn on just the neck pickup. The two rollers on the upper horn appear to be a volume and tone for the neck pickup when that circuit is engaged. I guess the advantage there is to have a quick way to switch between neck and bridge pickups or to use that circuit for rhythm and the main controls for lead?