jaguar vs. jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by QuickDraw, Oct 12, 2005.

1. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

i'm looking at vintage jags and jazzmasters and i cant decide which i like better, i'm starting to lean twords jaguar, any insights on both? i'm talkin' pre-CBS('62) through '69ish vintage.

please, don't say get a strat, me and strats don't agree on a few things.

Thanks offset experts!

2. Antero

Antero Member

Would you be comfortable with the Jaguar scale? It's pretty darn short.

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Aside from the body, totally different guitars. The scale-lengths are very much a factor, and so are the pickups.

The Jazzmaster rings like a damn piano and has big output compared to the Jaguar.

And from my limited experience, the trem is unusable on both! :)

That being said, I love my Chapin JBird (Jazzmaster style). It just sounds BIG and surf-y twang-y.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

Personally I'd get the Jazzmaster, I have no problem with the shorter scale of the Jag (I ave a '65 Mustang with 24" and I like it just fine) but to me the Jazzmaster is more disttinctive tonally and will always have better resale because of the scale length being more conventional.

5. 6ringing

6ringing Member

I played a '64 jag a few years back...in 2 words:
    It SUCKED!
    I'm not a strat fan at all, and this thing sounded thinner and crappier than even a strat. Go with the JM!

6. Seditious

Seditious Member

Do you have any pictures of the JBird you could show me?
    Pretty please.

7. Antero

Antero Member

I want a Jazzmaster. Yes, this is motivated primarily about the Costello association. :p

8. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

thanks for your feedback, i have played both guitars, and i like both for different reasons, the short scale of the jag doesn't really bother me, they each have their own voice, which are both different from the norm, i think i'm going to keep my mind open to both guitars and see which one ends up being "the one", I'll post some pics when i end up with one. jags and jazzmasters need some more love 'round here.

;)

9. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

any comments on pre-cbs vs early cbs guitars?

10. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I have to stick up for Jags too...

If you've played a Jaguar and thought it was thin-sounding, low output or wouldn't stay in tune, it wasn't set up right... period.

I used an all-original '65 sunburst Jaguar as my main (mostly exclusive) gigging guitar for about four years, and it was none of those things. It was quite punchy-sounding and powerful, actually slightly more so than a Strat, and extremely stable - probably the most so of any vintage-type trem-equipped guitar I've used, and I did things with it that Leo probably never imagined... though to be fair, the trem doesn't have the range of a Strat's, so it isn't quite a fair comparison.

But for some reason a lot of techs don't seem to be able to set them up properly - and I agree, a badly-set up Jag can be awful. I'm not quite sure why they get set up badly - it certainly needs a sightly different approach from a Strat, but it's not that difficult.

The reason I stopped using mine wasn't because it was a bad guitar - just that my music style and band changed to the point it just wasn't the right sound any more. It didn't have the 'ringing' sustain I needed - they do actually sustain quite well, but it's a very different type of thing from a Strat or a Tele - there's a very sharp initial peak and decay, followed by a long but much quieter sustain. This makes them IMO not very suited for smooth semi-overdriven tones, or bluesy bends - the notes seem to die too quickly, because you only really hear the attack. But they're great for percussive, choppy clean tones and heavy fuzz - because the note separation is much better than on something like a Les Paul under a lot of distortion. I would describe it as an alt/grunge/indie/punk guitar, basically (as well as surf)... although they have quite a nice twang and chime too. Better as a lead guitar than a sole guitar though... and I went from being a lead guitarist to a sole guitarist.

The Jazzmaster is a little more conventional - although it shares the same bridge and trem system, the longer scale makes it easier to set up 'like a Strat'. I just don't like them as much - they feel a little long and awkward for me, and they are more prone to noise than the Jag. They do sustain more conventionally though, so if you're going to be playing more bluesy/country/rock stuff it's the better choice IMO.

I don't like the CBS Jags and Jazzmasters - not that they're bad guitars (in fact they stayed 'good' longer into the 70s than strats did), just that I don't like the block markers and bound necks - or the CBS headstock, which is not the same - the pre-CBS Jag shape is my favorite of any Fender.

I do miss my Jag occasionally, but I had to make the break and I needed the money... though I did buy a '72 Mustang recently which has helped a little ;). I may one day have another Jag...

11. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

excellent!!!! thanks John, I always enjoy reading your posts. i'm getting pretty excited about this, i've seen a few jags and jazzmasters (early CBS era) recently that are in my price range, and the blocks are really growing on me. for the past 8 or so years ive only used my '52 tele RI and an epiphone "dot" i have'nt played any trem, since i gave my strat away years ago, i'm not a big trem player, but i do like the trem on these guitars. i'm going to play some more and see what i end up with. so i guess ideally i'm looking at jazzmasters and jags either all original early CBS era or pre cbs refins.

12. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Yup!

[​IMG]

13. dumb donnie

dumb donnie Member

About how much did that set you back? Also, has any body ever swapped out the Jazzmaster's 1M pots with 500k's? If so, what did you think about it?

14. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

I have a MIJ Jazzmaster which I bought over ten years ago. It was my only guitar for about seven of those years. The only thing I don't like about the jazzmasters is the hum from the pickups in higher gain situations. They sound amazing, play great, look cool, and are incredibly sturdy. I even built one from Warmoth with some updated hardware and features, but really what's gotten me away from them is the pickup hum. Someday I'm going to have someone wind me a set of noiseless JM pickups.

15. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Re: the pots, Bill tested a bunch to find the ones that would sound best - no idea what values he ended up with.

Re: the price - it's hard to say. A bunch of guitar orders, down payments, horse-trading went on that led to my getting that guitar. I'm really not being cute here - in the churn of making deals and selling gear through him to pay for it, the price never got nailed down. I just ended up with the guitar.

www.chapinguitars.com - Bill'll set you up.

16. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

this is the truth!

17. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I have a '69 Jazzmaster that JUST KILLS !!! And the trem works GREAT, never goes outta tune, etc..

I have a Buzzstop installed - which helps w/ sustain, the strings popping of the bridge etc..But bone stock - the thing was unbelievable

what problem are you guys having with the trem ?? Mine is WAY better than Strat I ever owned

18. Antero

Antero Member

Oh man, that JBird is HOT

19. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

well i got a CIJ jazzmaster on loan from a friend who's selling it, ive got a week or 2 to decide if i want it or not, it's got Seymour Dunken Hot jazzmaster pickups in it and a mustang bridge, it's a really nicely put togther guitar, no weird issues. the scale feels pretty comfortable, and i love the pickups. i may have a new guitar. funny i go from pre CBS to CIJ. but it's a player and that's really all i'm looking for, something that plays great and sounds great.

20. lefchr

lefchr Member

I like the jazzmasters scale better, the jaguar is too short for me. I'd rather have all the tone controls of a jaguar.

The jazzmasters is the one I would end up bringing home.