Jaguar vs. Jazzmasters

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fuzzface71, Oct 20, 2008.

Which one do you prefer?

1. Jaguar

2. Jazzmaster

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

For some reason. I'm having a minor GAS between these two guitars. Never really cared much for them until recently. I fell in love with this Elvis Costello signature Jazzmaster, and tried the other day a nice Jaguar.

I know that this is the best forum to ask about guitars. :)

Pros and Cons? Fire away boys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. captainchair

captainchair Member

I've been fighting over which one to get myself for about a year now. Its hard to say. I like that you can get jaguar's in humbucker form (mij) and its shorter scale for my small hands. Its a still toss up for me, which is why I still don't have one and I'll probably just buy another LP lol

3. haslar

haslar Member

I once had a MIJ Jaguar, and a '60 Jazzmaster.

The jazzmaster is an all-round better guitar IMO. Great pickups, good playability.
    The Jaguar looks better, but sounds thinner.

4. goodtone

goodtone Member

Jag's have a 25 1/2 scale and single coils which I prefer over the Jazz scale of 24 3/4. Hendrix played a reverse Jazzmaster that looked so cool that is now owned by actor & marshall artist Steven Seagal. Just play and listen to as many as you can and trust your instincts . That blonde Jaguar is incredible !

5. MatthewK

MatthewK Member

That would be due to the MIJ pickups which are pretty thin and harsh compared to the AVRIs or the originals. There are a lot of drop-in replacements from Seymour Duncan and similar companies.

They're also quite a technical guitar with the floating bridge and trem system - you can adjust bridge height at each end, saddle height on both sides, intonation, and each saddle has a number of grooves for the string so you can literally adjust everything about the string placement. The huge adjustability means that people often mess them up and whinge about buzzing and jumping strings - but properly set up with some heavier gauge strings (11s, which feel lighter on the short scale Jag) I have found tuning perfectly stable and I have no buzzes.

The double circuit on the Jag is great, one switch to flick from a neck setting with independent volume and tone, to a lead setting with any pickup combination (including none) and controls for volume, tone and bass cut. The Jazz has the same thing with less switching options for the lead circuit.

I have a 97 MIJ Jag, same colours as above, and it's wonderful to play with the short scale. I also have a new AVRI pickup waiting for me to move house so I have time to drop it in the bridge!

6. kimock

kimock Member

The Jag is 24 even I think, not 24 3/4. The Jazz is the same as the Strat.
    Is that right?

7. kimock

kimock Member

Thanks for that TravisE, it's as I suspected. . .
    I voted Jazz, but I'm a big fan of both.
    The Jag was my first real electric guitar. $125.00 Tax included 1972 I think.
    I forget. . .:knitting

8. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

I have a J Mascis JM with Lollar pickups that is downright incredible. I like the beefier satin neck with jumbo frets and flatter neck radius for playability. I can't get with 7.5" boards and vintage frets. The basswood body has more low end than most alder JMs. The gold anodized pickguard gives the guitar this metallic semi-hollow body "shring" to it. Not to mention the adjust-o-matic bridge prevents any string popping. If you get a MIJ Jag, be aware they aren't shielded very well and are noisy as hell with gain. Both cool guitars. Good luck.

9. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

The Jazzmasters I played sounded better than the Jaguar I had which I just did not care for many of the sounds it had

10. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Like my dog Elwood (seen sleepy and sick with a cold in the pick below), I choose Jazzmasters. I like the higher tension and fuller tones. He likes licking the hardware when he is feeling down.

[​IMG]

11. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Jags, against the grain. Beautiful guitars. And dont let anyone tell you theyre thin. with 1 meg pots, and oodles of switches to incorporate, it can be and trebly as you want, or as dark and jazzy as you want.

The only thing about them that people might not like is the neck size. I personally love them, but if youve got big mitts, i can understand a frustration.

12. auraelux

auraelux Member

I'm gonna go with the Jazzmaster, but I guess it's just cuz I'm a P90 freak

13. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Fat looking and noisy, but very different pickups than p90s in a jazzmaster.

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

JM's are soooo much more versatile that many assume. They can do fat and warm, chimey, jangley surf, and of course surprisingly warm jazz tones. It's all a matter of finding the right points and combinations. Nice output too. Overall among my favorite guitars. Jags OTOH, a bit thin sounding and more of a one trick pony, and that short 24" scale length has its tonal limitations as well. Still cool guitars nonetheless.

15. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Dumo - was that Matthew Sweet's old one?

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Two questions on the Lollars--are they quieter and do they make the bridge pup more usable?

I have the more modern (sniffed at by many JM hardcores) MIM Classic Players JM and the pups are pretty noisy in the neck and bridge and the bridge pup aint that useable. Other than that, I love the guitar.

17. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

Jazzmaster fan here. I bought a used MIJ Jazzmaster off of eBay a year or so ago, and it was from Mathew Sweet!!!

It's painted a beautiful Fender Custom Shop Mercedes Blue. It's got battle scars, but I really love the vibe.

I've been going back and forth as to swapping out pickups/electronics with Curtis Novak pups. The tone control is out of the circuit at the moment.

Wheels

18. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Jags are too tiny for me.

19. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've drooled over Jazzmasters forever. Always wanted one, but never picked one up that spoke to me. Either the body wasn't alive, the p/us didn't sound quite right, lots of reasons. So I went sideways, and way cheaper. It's a Dipinto Galaxie 4, owes a lot to the jazzmaster:

[​IMG]

Tres funky, this one is a serious guitar masquerading as a cool surf prop. It's alive, rings out everywhere, and these pickups are excellent. Maybe not the jazzmaster I always wanted, but whatever it is works for me.

20. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

They do different things!
    It's like saying "tele vs. strat". Yes, they can cover some similar ground but sound totally different.
    I used to own a Jag and I loved the way it sounded, but the small scale gave me hand cramps. The sound is awesome, though. Sounds like a strat, but more pronounced and 'in your face' or something.