Jake E Lee Interview Saturday 6/22

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Rob G, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Rob G

Rob G Member

Thanks so much!

2. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I saw that band once and they royally sucked! They were so bad that I was just baffled the whole time. I remember the "singer" introducing a song saying "I make love, till someone dies". Seriously. Every song was worse than the one before it, except for an OK version of Ultimate Sin.

3. Rob G

Rob G Member

Been listening to this. I didn't realize they played any of the material that later became "Dusk" live. Very cool.

4. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Yea, they played every song from Dusk live except for Fat Cat and Ride the Jack I think.Just going from memory from the other live recordings I have. They were always cool about that (working in new tunes). Lord Knows was on their original demos too actually (as was Last Time).

5. G500XL

G500XL Member

Man, I remember reading that article when it first came out. I was about 12 years old and saving my money to buy each new mag that came out from GTPM. That issue has always been my fav, since Jake and Kirk were my hero's. I've glad Jake is doing good and I've been waiting to see him play for years, came close to flying out to Vegas to find one of his shows when he was playing with the other band last year. Can't wait to see him tour!!!

6. monkmiles

Reminder, Jake is playing on That Metal Show tonight!

Here are a few shots I found on the facebook Jake E Lee fanatics page:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I always loved the Charvels he played, classy but modern! He is getting so much love here, I love it and a little surprised. Ozzy needs to do the right thing!

8. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Watching Jake on TMS now and I am pretty underwhelmed. I love the guy, am not a hater at all. In fact, I'm woodshedding Bark at the Moon for a band audition while I watch the boob tube and, well, watching Jake play on TMS makes me wonder if the same guy really did BATM. What happened?

9. sws1

sws1 Member

Talk about an endorsement for NOT buying a particular amp. I've heard transistor radios sound better than that EVH amp. Yuck.

Happy he's back, but disappointed in the sound. A wall of mush.

10. monkmiles

So the first cut to Jake playing was underwhelming. But then each one from there I really liked his playing. Particuarly a riff around the 47min mark of the show. It wouldn't surprise me if a riff he plays on here is from a tune on the upcoming album.

That said, his tone was horrible. He was using an EVH amp (which I hope wasn't his) and it sounded like a bad buzzsaw. Although, other players I've seen on the show can't seem to get good tone up there either.

The other interesting thing is Jake's guitar has a p90 in the bridge spot.

11. Brooks

Brooks Member

i saw jake w/ ozzy up close at the texxas jam (my face in the crowd pic made it in the dallas times herald!), great performance.

yeah, i'm underwhelmed w/ most of the guest players performance on TMS.
    exceptions have been john5, who's playing is fun & interesting in a gimmicky kinda way, and steve stevens, who's playing and tone KILLED (which really surprised me as i've never been impressed w/ him in the past).

12. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Member

I have seen several episodes of this show with several different guitar players (im not a 'regular' watcher of the show) but I have seen several different players and styles and I have to ask..

Who REALLY sounds good on that show/studio?

Im not being a funny guy or wiseazz but it seems almost everyone has a crappy tone on that show with the exception of John 5 and maybe one other guy im forgetting, but almost every player doesn't sound great lol

Maybe its the studio or layout? possible? :dunno

13. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Billy Sheehan always sounds great on TMS, as does John 5. It's not so much the sound, but the playing. Jake just didn't play anything that grabbed me in the least.

14. somecafone

somecafone Member

I saw the last 20 min or so this am. It's set to record later.

Yeah, the tone was disappointing.
    But I will say this....I recently played a 50-watt 5150 iii with a couple of different guitars.
    One hum, one P90.
    That amp is voiced for humbuckers.

Who has sounded good?
    Yeah, Billy Sheehan, Steve Stevens, John 5 (whose tone I generally don't care for but dig his playing), and Alex Skolnick. Even my non-guitar-playing, but music-loving gf was impressed with Alex.

15. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Very true, all of it. Jake and Warren bummed me out the most, though. I really wanted to see them bring it.

16. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Doug Aldrich sounded pretty good too and played some cool stuff, if I remember correctly. Tony MacAlpine wasn't too shabby either.
    I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I'd say George Lynch may have had the worst tone of anyone I've seen/heard on the show. He played some pretty cool things (of course) but the sound was totally Mud Ville. But ya never know, maybe they all sound great in the studio and they just have an uber crappy sound engineer. Even the right mic placed at the wrong spot on the speaker can ruin everything.

17. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

The word is it's a loaner amp and cab. He's a vintage freak and gear junkie so I'd bet he uses some good stuff in the future. I have not heard it yet but I agree a P-90 through a high gain amp is not my fave combo.

Here is what he can do with a mid '50s Les Paul TV Special through an Orange. The sound on the video is crappy but you can tell it sounds good.

I wonder if he still has his vintage Marshalls. Jake if you are out there and need to borrow a plexi let me know. :D

18. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Can't blame this on the rig. EVHs are awesome amps. I've gigged with one a few times and am always this close to impulse buying one.

19. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Watched it and thought Jake could careless about blazing to impress. Same goes for Warren IMO. I certainly don't judge those players on their playing during the show. Nor was I, as a fan, disappointed.
    Very cool that a Charvel was given away during Stump the Trunk segment.

As far as the tone from the amp. Who cares? It's just a TV show.

20. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Yeah, it doesn't really matter, but it would suck for some kid who doesn't know them to get the wrong impression from that show.

Regardless, it was a fun show all around. Loved seeing Jake up there.