Jake E Lee Interview Saturday 6/22

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Rob G, Jun 16, 2013.

1. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Yeah, that's all Zakk. That's when I started listening to Ozzy, then worked backwards, starting with Ultimate Sin.

I'll check that first Badlands out, thanks!!!

2. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

What was the drama about for Badlands? I haven't gotten the reissues because I still have the originals, but have been wanting to read the booklet sthat come with the reissues.

3. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I don't know if there's more than this, but the Wikipedia entry has some drama info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badlands_(American_band)

4. Rob G

Rob G Member

I was at the show at the London Astoria. The whole train ride to the gig my friends and I were talkng about how it would be odd hearing a female vocalist sing Ray's parts as we had read the magazine article. But as the gig started Ray came running out and we were relieved. The band absolutely killed it, despite obvious tensions- one of the best gigs I've ever seen.

5. monkmiles

Ah, ok, yea, I remember some of that stuff going on at the time. I think it was to be Debbie Holiday or something. I actually have a recording of this show I believe (if it's the 07/02/92 London one I have). I'd be happy to share it if you'd like it (it's mp3 though).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  6. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

The Wiki page says Jake was seeking a singer, but I remember in a guitar mag, Jake saying he didn't want anything to do with the music biz after being fired by ozzie. And it was Ray who was seeking to work with Jake, but Jake just kept ignoring him. Finally Ray's mom called Jake and that got to him.

7. Lance

Lance Member

Really? "I'll call my Mom if you don't return my messages!"

8. s2y

s2y Member

Yeah, I could see a singer doing that. :messedup

9. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

Guitar (for the practicing musician). June '89.

Page 92 :

How did you get yourself back into music ? Jake : " It was because of Ray. I had gotten offers while I was putzing around with the cars. I got an offer from someone in the Whitesnake management. I never returned the call. Phil Moog, Dee Snider and some others called. There was some talk or a rumour about Dio, but I couldn't see that happening. I never returned any of the calls. Ray Gillen started calling and I never returned any of his calls either. Then Ray's mom called. That scared me, so I called back. I talked to Ray, he came out, and we jammed. It was the first time I picked up a guitar in a long time. I played really sloppy, but Ray liked it. That did it. "

10. Rob G

Rob G Member

Thanks, yes I'd like to get it in mp3 format, I had a cassette recording from the BBC back in the day ;)

11. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

^ I'd like a copy too!

12. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

13. monkmiles

I'm happy to share with fellow Badlands fans. One of my very favorite bands ever. So, here ya go. Plus a 05/07/92 show I also shared on the jakeelee.com forum.

Badlands, 07-02-92, London -http://rapidshare.com/files/602930304/Badlands - Live at the Astoria July '92 MP3.zip

Badlands, 05-07-92, San Diego ,CA - http://rapidshare.com/files/2592155613/05-07-1992_ San Diego_ CA - Badlands.zip

Show details:

Badlands, 07/02/92, London Astoria
    ----------------------------------
    Highwire
    Love Don't Mean A Thing
    Devil's Stomp
    Shine On
    Rumblin' Train
    Seasons
    Whiskey Dust

Badlands, 05/07/92 San Diego, CA
    ---------------------------------
    High Wire
    Tribal Moon
    Rumblin' Train
    Healer
    Shine On
    The River
    Sun Red Sun
    Whiskey Dust
    Winter's Call
    Dogs

14. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

15. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

Thanks! I was at that show in San Diego. It was in a small club called the Bachanaal. I think at that time it had been renamed to something else though. I stood right in front and got my head blown off by his Marshalls. :D

16. monkmiles

Dude, I am so jealous. I never got the opportunity to see Badlands live (even though I became a big fan right when before Voodoo Highway came out). Check out the Whiskey Dust from that San Diego show...great version with great energy.

17. donbarzini

donbarzini Supporting Member

I saw a male get dragged out by his dirty long hair by a security man at that venue, it was an Yngwie J. Malmsteen show....

18. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

I would love to have an ESP Jake signature model in purple. I've always thought those guitars were cool.

19. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

^^^ I saw them 3 times. The first was in St. Paul Mn. at the Riverfest for their first album. Robin Trower opened for them. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Joe Satriani played on the main stage. I stood right in front against the stage in front of his Marshalls. I took some pics with my 110 camera that were up on a Jake. E. Lee forum for a while but they are gone now. They used my picture on the cover of the bootleg thats floating aroound for the show. Since I was watching Badlands, I never got the chance to get up front to see SRV play that night. I considerded that a good trade off!

The next time I saw them open for Tesla in Minneapolis. They were good but it was an arena show and i was in the nosebleeds.

Then there was the "Bachanaal show in San Diego that I could not get into because I was not 21 yet! That really sucked but they came back next year for the show above. That was the last time I saw them. A few years later he had a gig booked with "Mandy Lion" which I thought was a chick at the time, but it was cancelled.

20. monkmiles

You saw Badlands 3 times...man, that's awesome. That Mandy Lion with Jake band was Wicked Alliance. I never could get into that stuff (the demos are on youtube etc) and it obviously never took off.