Jake E. Lee Tone....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skhan007, May 16, 2008.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Man, I've really been getting into Badlands "Dusk" and Jake has such a monster plexi tone going on. Somewhat more ballsy and less processed sounding than the previous two Badlands recordings. Just raw, no reverb, super sustaining, in your face Marshall.

Makes me think about getting a hot rodded plexi. Any of you guys into the hot rodded Marshall tone? If so, what's weapon of choice?

I heard great clips of modded Marshalls on David Bray's site. Then, I've also really been digging Germino as well.

2. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

I made a post about Jake a few months ago, I think there were some guesses at how he got his tone, most agreed that the Plexi was dimed to ear shattering levels. I don't think a Germino will get there without a pedal but a Bray -modded Marshall can do that sort of thing.

3. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I had read somewhere a while ago that Jake would play at extremely loud levels to record. Sadly, I always thought that Jake was one of those guys who struggled with finding his tone.

4. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

5. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

6. anibas

anibas Member

You should check out jakeelee.com for info on what amps and effects he used-they're pretty accurate,IIRC.I do know that he used EV speakers in his Marshall cabs,and ran everything LOUD.Also,he had a late 70's 100 watt red JMP that he used a lot on the Badlands records."Dusk" is a cool disc-thanks for mentioning it,skhan007.

7. CrunchBoy

CrunchBoy Member

Boss OD1 + Super Lead Plexi = Jake. An Ultimate Attenuator will let you have it at any volume you choose.

8. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I dug those non-trem Charvels that he used. I think he was the only one of the better known 80s guys that DIDN'T use a trem!

9. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    I saw Badlands at the Ventura Concert Theatre back around 88-89. One of the loudest shows I've been too. I believe Jake had a couple of full Marshall stacks with Plexis.... one or both were orange Plexi heads. Seemed like he just plugged straight in and dimed everything...I don't recall seeing any pedals or effects. He was playing his signature white, Charvel strat with the reverse angled bridge pickup. The band was tight as hell and Ray Gillen was jumping all over the place singing his ass off. The way this particular theatre was set up, the floor in front of the stage had tables and chairs, and you could stand right up in front of the stage...which I did. Jake's rig was so effing loud that I thought my head was going to explode at one point. They rocked the **** out of the place. I always liked Jake's playing and tone with Badlands...check out "Rumblin' Train" and "High Wire" on the first Badlands album...smokin'.
    :dude

Cheers
    -Dave

10. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I must admit I only know his work with Ozzy. I always thought of him as a shredding version of Steve Stevens - just because there was certain things about his sound and his rhythm playing that reminded me a lot of some of Stevens' stuff with Billy Idol. There was a lot of chorus in use on Jake's sound too at the time. But I always thought he sounded and played great both live and on record. I should check out his later stuff.

11. Swain

Swain Member

Also, he was known to use a Budda Twinmaster a LOT in the studio. So, maybe a little of that is what you're hearing?

12. skhan007

I've tried to go to Jakeelee.com, but I keep getting an error message and the page won't load. Wierd.

Any way, all three Badlands CD's are great. Jake's best playing (way better than the stuff he did with Ozzy) without a doubt.

I actually own an Ultimate Attenuator, so getting into a reissue Marshall plexi (1987x or 1959) is realistic for me now. Just need to decide if I should go with a stock model and use my Duncan Twin Tube as a boost or go for one with a David Bray mod- I see the Bray modded Marshalls every now and then for sale on ebay.

13. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

YMMV---but I always thought the closest I ever got to Jake's rawer/Badland tone was to use an Ibanez Sonic Distortion (SD-9). To my ears, that gets really close. Also the OD-1 thru a hot Marshall type amp will get ya close too--I have one and get my Jake fix thru my Roccaforte 50 watt head! :)

14. Brian from WMC

Brian from WMC Member

Hi All,

I got to see Badlands a couple of times, and it was just guitar-cable-Boss OD1-and a Boss Delay of some sort, right into his Marshalls and just cranked.

Both times he just walked on stage, plugged his Strat/Charvel (it's really a 70s Strat re-painted by a friend of his who worked at Chavel) into the cable (hum at all) and launched into High Wire and ripped...

15. skhan007

Hey Brian, Khan here! Yeah, I've always loved Jake's playing and thought his tone on "Dusk" was the best he's ever recorded. My guess is that his tone is attainable via a cranked re-issue plexi Marshall. Then, there's the OD-1 as some have suggested.

16. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

I'm a big Jake E.Lee and Badlands fan but didn't know that there was three Badlands CD's out!...When did the third one come out?
    Was it recent? or closer to the time of the other two? It's called "Dusk"?

17. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I remenber reading somthing on him a while back and I seem to remember it being from a good source.. but I can't confirm... 100 watt JMP and two Boss SD-1's. One with the gain and treble high, level low, and one with gain and treble low and level high. That may have been in a recording and i'm sure his rig has varied, like most players.

18. rob2001

rob2001 Member

19. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I've been using a Tatoo Flash 50 (hot rodded JCM 800) and have been loving it- to my ears it sound's very Jake E. Leeish.

20. skhan007

I'm a die hard Jake fan too- "Dusk" was released after Voodoo Highway, but was kind of hard to find. Initially, I think it was an import only (not released in the States), but now it's available. You can check Amazon, ebay, etc. I think "Dusk" is by far Jake's best guitar tone on any recording he's ever done. The songs are great too- more mellow ones, but the album gets heavier toward the last half. My favorite tracks are "Walking Attitude", "Dog", & "Fat Cat"

I found a guy who is local selling his Bray modded 1987x. I should try to contact him to see if I can hear it. I suspect it will do the plexi hot tone with no boost pedals needed.

I just plugged up and dimed my 1974x and it gets very close to the "Highwire" tone. Just a little more gain it would get there- but that amp can only go so far in the gain dept.