• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Jam Night/ Talent Night guy who wont use digital

Toby Krebs

I have started hosting a talent night recently.I provide mics/ monitors/ mains/ bass amp/ guitar rig ( 44 Magnum and 1x12 cab mic'ed up). I also provide a couple of electric guitars a bass and a nice triggered DW drum kit.I have one guitar player who will only play through his pedals/tube amp rig.Everyone else puts a multi-effect in front of the Magnum-1x12 rig and likes it . I want him to participate as he is a good player but I specifically do not want him bringing in his full tube pedals etc... rig. He went into a little rant today after watching us play and not participating about how he had a Boss GT-6 a 100 years ago and it "blew up on him" so he wont use any all in ones anymore. I think maybe he is not a candidate for " talent night" which is about having fun and meeting people. Not having your personal rig on the stage. I am using a GR55/HD500- keyboard mp rig in order to host this thing.Not my favorite but it works fine and we are having fun!

any thoughts bout how to handle him would be appreciated.

Reactions: Rod

vrdyer

Sometimes it's hard to play through someone else's rig. Sometime there is a high learning curve to playing out with others stuff. You get soooo used to your stuff. Let those who want to haul in their own stuff do so. Provide a tech to help others get their sound with the rig you provide. Sometimes you just need a clean amp that works well with outside pedals. If I had a clean amp, I could get most of my sound with a pedal and my guitar.

themightyjay

I disagree, I think if it's a jam night situation you should be prepared to use what the host has provided. Normally you have quite a few people coming on/off stage and you want it to be fairly fluid, setting up someone else's rig is just a massive hassle no?

I know this from experience, I run a Kemper normally, but at jam nights I've used a squire strat direct into the PA. And I don't mean via modelling, I mean literally a lead from the guitar into the PA.

Didn't sound that great, but I was more concerned with enjoying myself and jamming with friends to get all precious about the tone of my guitar.

jpage

Ditch the modeling rig and bring a Classic 30 or something. A more traditional setup will be easier in the end for everyone and will prob sound better.

R3deemed

Is he going to cause issues if he takes the time to set up his own gear? What's the need to have folks play equipment you provide?

Jay Mitchell

I can't believe some of the answers here. It's a jam, dammit. If you can't plug in, tune, and play something musically satisfying on somebody else's rig, then get your own gig and bring the gear you like to that. Or develop some professionalism and courtesy and learn to make music under suboptimal circumstances. It'll make you a better player.

In any entertainment situation, dead time is the enemy (I assume you have some concern for retaining an audience). If everybody dragged in their own amp and set it up, you'd end up making music for less than half the allotted time. Tell the prima donnas to either deal with your terms or go elsewhere.

Dumdeediddle

"What's the need to have folks play equipment you provide? " I have met these strange Folk before.
I was once asked to Play in a Country Band many years ago. At the time I was not into old Telecasters. "Gosh ,to be in My Band -you have to play one of Mine".
So the man shows me into a room with more Telecasters and Fender amps than any Music store. Talk about your Obsession.
But in the end I passed on the Gig. A very weird request. "You have to play one of mine"

jazzfromhell

I can't believe some of the answers here. It's a jam, dammit. If you can't plug in, tune, and play something musically satisfying on somebody else's rig, then get your own gig and bring the gear you like to that. Or develop some professionalism and courtesy and learn to make music under suboptimal circumstances. It'll make you a better player.

In any entertainment situation, dead time is the enemy (I assume you have some concern for retaining an audience). If everybody dragged in their own amp and set it up, you'd end up making music for less than half the allotted time. Tell the prima donnas to either deal with your terms or go elsewhere.
Exactly.

hippietim

Not everyone has a digital rig to bring. Not everyone knows how to use them.

I go to a number of different open mics/jams on a regular basis. They ALL accommodate people with their own amps. For the bigger rooms, the hosts always have a mic and power strip ready to go. I would draw the line at rolling in with a half stack or something ridiculous. But a pedalboard and a combo is something you should be able to contend with easily.

OTH, you can trivially have a spare 57 and power strip and have a traditional rig going in no time.

hippietim

Sorry, I completely disagree here. Just teaching somebody how to use a MIDI board or a POD or whatever can take longer than plugging in an amp and a pedalboard. Any open jam that cannot accommodate something this simple is not going to be popular for very long. I go to these all the time.

hobbes1

If you are the host and are getting generally positive responses from the majority of players, I would tell that one guitarist that if he changes his mind he is welcome to step up and play the gear you've provided. Otherwise, let him set up his own jam night and stock any backline he wants.

I don't think you should change a functional rig for just one person. Seems to me that getting people on/off smoothly and letting them play through an already dialed in rig would make things a lot nicer for everyone. Minimal tweaks needed for different guitars but overall, it should be pretty straightforward....

ClassicLP

You cannot please everyone. It is a jam, not a gig. As long as you make it clear in advance... Have fun. Again, you cannot please everyone.

hippietim

I used to be one of the folks that hosted one of the open mics near me so I fully understand what it takes. Me and a couple friends were the "house" band.

I never brought a digital rig as the house guitar rig. It's a terrible idea - most folks don't know how to use them. But everyone knows how to use a basic pedalboard and 1x12 combo.

What do you do about situations where two guitar players want to jam? I didn't bring two guitar rigs so I had to accommodate someone bringing another amp. I see full bands show up all the time to these things.

What do you do when a keyboard player shows up? It takes just as long to set up a stand, footpedal, and plug in a keyboard as it does to mic up a 1x12 combo.

What do you do when the drummer sings? It takes a while to move one of the vocal mics back there and position/readjust the stand.

We had folks show up with acoustic instruments sans pickups. So you have to mic them. We had an electric accordion, a cello, banjos, mandolins, etc.

If you're running an open jam, you need to be open.

partytrain

Can he bring his board and plug it into the magnum 44? Maybe he can pick up a tech 21 or Joyo equivalent amp sim pedal like the blonde?

If that kind of compromise won't work, then I'd probably start leaning in the "my gig, my rules" direction.

barhrecords

You really need to decide, as the host, what the ground rules are and how far you want to go to accommodate other musicians.

It's not unheard of to have a combo + a few pedals for everyone to use.

But as the host, you certainly can decide how it's going to go down.

When I've done it we almost always set up a Fender Twin + a couple of pedals, an SWR bass combo and a right handed drum kit.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
Jam night, not a gig. Any one who wants to participate plays by the rules or doesn't play.

weshunter

Gold Supporting Member
Jam night, not a gig. Any one who wants to participate plays by the rules or doesn't play.
I agree with this but with the caveat that the guy who starts a jam night down the street with regular instruments and tube amps could steal your people and maybe your gig as those traditional setups are just more comfortable/familiar for most people who would be coming to play. the folks coming to jam are sort of the customers in this case. but since you say most folks seem to like your setup, it's probably a non-issue.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
I used to be one of the folks that hosted one of the open mics near me so I fully understand what it takes. Me and a couple friends were the "house" band.

I never brought a digital rig as the house guitar rig. It's a terrible idea - most folks don't know how to use them. But everyone knows how to use a basic pedalboard and 1x12 combo.

What do you do about situations where two guitar players want to jam? I didn't bring two guitar rigs so I had to accommodate someone bringing another amp. I see full bands show up all the time to these things.

What do you do when a keyboard player shows up? It takes just as long to set up a stand, footpedal, and plug in a keyboard as it does to mic up a 1x12 combo.

What do you do when the drummer sings? It takes a while to move one of the vocal mics back there and position/readjust the stand.

We had folks show up with acoustic instruments sans pickups. So you have to mic them. We had an electric accordion, a cello, banjos, mandolins, etc.

If you're running an open jam, you need to be open.
You're completely missing the OP's position. He has a traditional speaker cab with a power amp. This is about like having a Twin (or more like a Peavey Bandit) on stage to share (not an uncommon thing at jam nights). The digital rig is what he personally plugs into the power amp. Anyone else can plug in their's as well. The "problem" in the OP's scenario is welcome to bring his pedals and plug in as well, just not his amp. I've never been to a jam night where people were allowed to bring their own amps, drummer's their own sets. I can't imagine the setup/breakdown time if everyone brought their gear. Not only are you ensuring no one would stay to hear any music, only 1/2 the people who came to play would get to participate.

Trending Topics