James Johnston Signature Squier Jazz Bass first impressions

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by MemorymanDL, Feb 1, 2015.

1. MemorymanDL

MemorymanDL Member

Hey guys,

I've never listened to Biffy Clyro or whatever else James Johnston might be in, I honestly had no idea who he was before I tried this bass out in a store the other day.

What really drew me to it in the store was the colour and matching headstock. Matching headstocks give me the vapors.

Action is low, but not super low.
    The brass bridge saddles are a really nice touch.

The only thing I kind of have a complaint about is that the edges of the pickguard near the cavities are really crappily done. I'll get some close up photos soon of what I mean.

I recorded these couple of clips direct into my interface using a free VST bass driver. I'm not really much of a bassist, I bought this for recording solo stuff and it's perfect for me in that regard.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Sounded pretty good to me...

- georgestrings

3. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

Seems like a decent instrument, but it strikes me as weird that they're now doing signature models for people of such marginal significance. The bassist from Biffy Clyro? Seriously?

4. MemorymanDL

MemorymanDL Member

I'd never heard of them until I bought the bass and looked them up.

I think their stuff is pretty cool.

5. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

I tried listening to one of their albums (Only Revolutions) last night. Maybe it's just not my thing, but I wasn't impressed by the singer or the songs.

6. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

They are mainstage festival headliners with 1.2 million albums sold... I suspect they are just not in the circle of music you are interested in. Their guitarist had a signature Squier Strat as well. I think first and foremost you can see who the target market for these are based on the fact that they are Squiers. Neil Simon actually plays a Fender Custom Shop '60 reissue, but they didn't do a CS run for a reason...