James (JY) Young

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Headshok, May 29, 2015.

1. Headshok

Headshok Member

Watching Styx on Palladia (again), and am continually amazed by JY's playing and tone. He gets a violin like tone and sustain and I could swear I saw him shredding a time or two. He has risen in rank of my favorite guitar players. Why do you think he is hardly ever mentioned among the greats?

2. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

He rips. But I must say that Tommy still plays the tastiest leads in Styx. But JY is no slouch, he is very unique and I do dig it when he rips it up.

3. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

love JY. i really prefer the older styx stuff to the things they did with shaw.

4. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Funny to see topic as I've never been a Styx fan even though they're my homies. Just happened on them on Palladia and kept it going. It was nice. And Shaw was great but yeah, JY. He's got it. I think the answer to your question is that he cares more about promoting Styx than promoting JY.

5. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Great singing voice IMO too.

6. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I really like JY, very underrated.

I think for some reason most people think of Tommy Shaw when they think of Styx
    guitar.

7. mosesblues

mosesblues Member

JY is one of those guys who strikes me as playing for the song. In an era where indulgent solos were common, he would simply add his 8-16 measures of gasoline to the Styx song as it was transitioning into the next movement. But yet, the moment you hear those 8-16 measures, it always works.

He was probably one of the most 'heard' lead guitarists on the radio in the late 70's, since Styx was played heavily on AM & FM radio.

8. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Love JY. Isn't he the one that did the leads for Blue Collar Man? Some of the coolest riffage ever.

some scary avatars in this thread...

9. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Styx got their greatest fame after they shifted their focus away from songs where guitars rocking hard were prominent.

10. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

That's Tommy Shaw.

11. custom53

custom53 Member

I just saw "Styx" live last week.. Man, they still have it going on..! I started thinking about the first time I saw them.. Double bill with "Sweet".. Great show but that was back in the '70s.. Those guys don't even look like they have aged that much either.. They did tear the place up. They, for sure, can still rock..! And Todd Sucherman was phenominal..!
    Now I have tickets to see Dennis Deyoung in October.. Curious to see how different the 2 bands are, since Dennis is playing the "Songs of Styx" or the "Stylings of Styx" since he can't call his band "Styx" anymore..

12. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

Courtesy of the Fernandes Sustainer:

Probably due to the timing of Styx's success and the relative number of other lead guitarists with similar capabilities at that time (Neal Schon, Gary Richrath, Mick Jones, etc), combined with the critical hate of AOR-style bands at the time. Had all the members of Styx been born British and gone to art school, they'd be critically acclaimed and JY would be making the lists now. Instead you hear jabs about "playing county fairs," with no respect for the great body of work. I would have never picked up the guitar had it not been for The Grand Illusion.

13. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

for whatever reason and having never seen styx live i always thought i preferred shaw's playing to young's but after watching the palladia special (repeatedly i might add) i like jy's playing much better. great player and great live tone.

14. loudboy

loudboy Member

Neither here nor there on his playing ability, but here's my JY story.

In the mid-'90s I was in a pretty popular Top 40 band, and we were booked to open up for the "JY Band" at the local festival tent "Alive at 5" series.

The JY Band had driven thru the night, and got in town early in the AM, and were booked on a local radio show, to promote the gig. They checked into their motel, dropped off their gear in a spare room and went to the station.

When they got back to the hotel, all their guitars were gone, so they had to chase up instruments, instead of sleeping/relaxing.

The show started right after work on a Friday, and there were probably 5000 people there. Our band was just about at the peak of our popularity, and we has a very good night - people were going nuts. The promoter kept telling us to play longer, so we stretched another 30 minutes onto our set, and a few encores.

So, the JY Band comes on and I've never seen a place empty so fast - by the time they'd been on a half hour, there were literally less than 50 people there.

A real Spinal Tap day and I felt sorry for them, as they sounded good and were obviously experienced pros.

15. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

I was a huge Styx fan as a kid and JY was my guy. Tommy is great too but something about JY clicked with me. I noticed back then that on a good portion of the songs Tommy wrote or would sing , JY would play the lead and vice versa.

16. custom53

custom53 Member

They do Covers pretty good too..

17. custom53

custom53 Member

They did this one when I saw them too..

18. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member