James Limborg is at it again

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JCW308, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

He did...which does and doesn't make a difference. The post came off like BS, and it tripped my trigger. Which is irrational on my part.

Honestly, James, sorry for posting what I did. You weren't addressing me in any fashion and I came back at you acting like I was personally offended. That's dumb on my part. You've got all the right in the world to form your opinions on equipment and price your work at a point you want to. I'm not the karma-dispenser of the test equipment universe and it's idiotic of me to act like I am.

2. RackFiz

RackFiz Member

I've said to before and I'll say it again... his patches do sound absolutely incredible. Simply the best GT demos I've ever heard.

That said, who knows well they'll sound in anyone elses rig.

Also, and I hope he reads this... instead of charging thousands and only selling to three or four people, why not charge $99.99 and sell to hundreds of people. It's the same amount of money in the end and your name will be on more peoples setups.

I know myself, for under a hundred, I'd buy them all.

3. mac jones

mac jones Member

Ah!, another satisfied customer. Wise choice.

Note: PM me for other "Absolutely incredible" products :)

4. JamesLimborg

JamesLimborg Member

WHAT I USE TO MAKE MY BOSS GT-10 PATCHES:
    I made my BOSS GT-10 patches using the Creamware 64-band spectrum analyzer that comes in the Creamware TripleDAT v2.53 software. Creamware filed bankruptcy and changed their name to Sonic Core [Sonic-Core.net]. The Creamware TripleDAT v2.53 software only works with Creamware hardware [I use the Creamware TDAT-16, PC computer, PCI audio card], specific motherboards, and running Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME. So I have a second computer with old hardware running Microsoft Windows ME for my music recording and BOSS GT-10 patch creation. There is no 64-band spectrum analyzer that exists today (that I know of) that works as accurately as the Creamware 64-band spectrum analyzer does. I've tried several spectrum analyzers available on the internet and none of them were accurate; They were basically light shows; Completely useless to me. Software Engineers don't think there is money in it trying to make a spectrum analyzer as good as the Creamware 64-band spectrum analyzer I use; And they know people will most likely copy their software and post it for free on the internet. I've talked with some software engineers and that is what they said to me. So unfortunately there aren't any 64-band spectrum analyzers available today [that I have tried] that work as accurately as the Creamware 64-band spectrum analyzer does.

HOW I MAKE MY BOSS GT-10 PATCHES:
    - First I go through all my patches and try to find a patch that I have already made that sounds close to the sound I am trying to copy.
    - Then I change the Preamp settings so it sounds close to the guitar sound I am copying. I turn off all the effects.
    - I can copy guitar sounds best if I have just the guitar sound without drums, keyboards, vocals, bass guitar, etc.
    - I play the guitar sound I want to copy through the Creamware 64-band spectrum analyzer and I watch how high (in volume) each of the 64-frequency bands bounce.
    - Then I have to record my guitar through the BOSS GT-10 and view it through the spectrum analyzer.
    - Then I make adjustments with the BOSS GT-10 Graphic and Paremetric EQ.
    - I do the above 3 things for hours until I have copied all 64-frequency bands as close as I can with the BOSS GT-10.
    - I add all the effects using my ear.

WHY MY PRICES ARE SO HIGH:
    It took me 4 to 30+ hours [1 to 3 days] to make each of my BOSS GT-10 patches. It's very time consuming and I never know how well I will be able to copy a sound until after I try. Sometimes I think I will be able to copy a sound pretty fast, but it takes 3 days and I still am not able to copy the sound that well because with the BOSS GT-10 it only has a 10-band Graphic EQ; so when I am moving one frequency band in the BOSS GT-10 it moves a bunch of other frequency bands along with it; so I am always fighting that problem. If the BOSS GT-10 had a 64-band Graphic EQ I wouldn't have that problem. The reason my prices are so high on my BOSS GT-10 patches is because it takes me 4 to 30+ hours to make one BOSS GT-10 patch. It's also my main source of income. It's a small business. I realize some people give their patches away for free or for less money; They can do that if they want. But I will not give my BOSS GT-10 patches away for free or for less money; I've been selling my BOSS GT-10 patches for about 3 years now. I first had them for sale for only $0.99 each. As orders came in I kept raising it from $2.00 to $5.00, $15.00, $30.00, as high as $40.00/each and back down to $30.00/each where I am at right now. I was selling them at $40.00/each just fine, but I wanted the price at $30.00/each because it seemed to sell best at that price point. I also want to encourage people to buy more than just 1-patch; and so that is why I offer lowering pricing when people buy higher quantities. And that has been working really well. A Fractal Audio Axe FX II may cost $2,500.00, but you can buy a used BOSS GT-10 for around $250.00 and install all of my BOSS GT-10 patches for $994.50 = $1,244.50 total (which is far less than the Axe FX II and if you like the patches I've made you have all those sounds already made for you).

WHY MY BOSS GT-10 PATCHES SOUND SO GOOD:
    I am able to copy guitar sounds better than anyone else because I use the Creamware 64-band spectrum analyzer. The spectrum analyzer basically tells me exactly where I need to set the Graphic/Parametric EQ's in the BOSS GT-10 in order to copy the guitar sound I am trying to copy. It's like telling me the lottery numbers; whereas other people have to guess what the lottery numbers are. The spectrum analyzer takes all the guess work out of where I should set the Graphic and Parametric EQ's in the BOSS GT-10 in order to copy the particular guitar sound I am viewing through the Creamware 64-band spectrum analyzer. I could never copy a guitar sound nearly as well guessing. Sometimes I have to double up on Graphic EQ's in the BOSS GT-10 [Assigning a Graphic EQ to both FX-1 and FX-2] so I can push a certain frequency as high (or as low) as it needs to go; I would have never known I needed to do that without using the Creamware 64-band spectrum analyzer.

ADVERTISING:
    I can't afford advertising through Google Adwords anymore. Google bought YouTube and then raised the prices of YouTube advertising greatly. It use to only cost me $0.01 a click advertising on YouTube. But now it would cost $0.30 to $0.50 a click. So I have to get creative with my advertising; Posting in YouTube comments for example. I realize many people don't like seeing me post advertisements about my BOSS GT-10 patches on the internet, but I can't afford advertising through Google Adwords and there 'are' people who are happy they saw my advertisement [The people who have purchased my BOSS GT-10 patches for example]. I apologize to those people who hate seeing my advertisements for my BOSS GT-10 patches. I'm not doing it to annoy you. It is my only source of income. I can't afford other forms of advertising; and there 'are' people who are happy they found my advertisements. I don't enjoy spending hours advertising on the internet; I'd rather be doing something else; But I probably wouldn't sell as many BOSS GT-10 patches if I stopped advertising them. If sales stop coming in, then I will stop advertising; There would be no purpose in continuing to advertise my BOSS GT-10 patches if people weren't buying them. I won't share how many sales I get selling my BOSS GT-10 Patches with people on the internet because that information is my business. And I especially wouldn't share that information with people who put me (and my BOSS GT-10 patches) down.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  5. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Thanks for the explanation on the GT-10. Can you explain the $2 million shipping on the Steinberger?

6. Akeron

Akeron Member

I'm not an expert in advertising but I don't think spamming your Boss GT patches in every modeler forum is an effective strategy. Why would anyone, which can't use those patches because he\she doesn't have the hardware, buy them? At those prices also? Then you wonder why someone is annoyed by that...

7. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

I wish he mentioned what Spectrum Analyzer he's been using.

8. speedyone

speedyone Member

He did.

Creamware 64 band Spectrum Analyzer.

Specifically, a quick google search showed another post of his where he said it was a "Creamware
    64 Band Spectrum Analyzer Triple DAT version 2.53".

I may see if I can find this for download and give it a shot...

9. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

lol

Guess I should have added the sarcasm face.

10. Akeron

Akeron Member

I've found out by chance a Facebook page, which in theory must be dedicated to the POD HD500 (judging by the name of the page and the photo on the main page), that in reality has ONLY posts advertising his patches and the selling of that guitar that he uses. I guess that is the ultimate (really sad) spam technique...

11. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Limborg is one of the biggest spammers I have ever seen. Everywhere you look, there are fake pages, spam replies, etc.... He should be banned for life from both guitar playing AND the Internet.

FlyingsCool likes this.
  12. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Who gives a damn about copying "exact" recorded tones?! It's just silly. Why would anyone out so much time and effort into sounding and playing exactly like another musician? It's just baffling to me.

13. olejason

olejason Member

Honestly it blows my mind that people buy patches at any price. Tweaking is part of the fun.

14. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

Totally agree that tweaking is the fun. I like to download free patches for gear sometimes as a way to get ideas from fellow tweakers...but not to cop their tone (unless it's really good :dude). I also like to share my patches/settings for free. Not that they're good enough to charge for or anything, I just dig the whole sharing of ideas thing. To the benefit of mutual curiosity!

I think one of the best things about the GT series is the whole wave/internal pedal assign system that lets you build some really UNIQUE sounds with a lot of motion. It reminds me of building pad patches on a synth. Seems like under-utilization to use one of those to mimic a rig that goes guitar->amp. There's nothing that says utilizing all your toys makes better tone, but in the end I'm after fun. Sometimes that fun is in playing with great tone, and sometimes that fun is in building a huge complex sound.

But that's me. I'm sure for some people the fun comes in the form of assuming the role of many different guitar heroes from one minute to the next, be it in a cover band or just grown-up playing pretend (as a father of two young kids, I find NOTHING wrong in playing pretend, and I don't mean it dismissively, I was able to ride a spaceship to the sun last night b/c I'm not too cool to play pretend). I guess it's like a type of musical theater in a sense, being able to nail the tone/technique of someone else as accurately as possible. That's their chosen craft...more power to them.

No matter how you get your fun we can all agree on one thing: James' patches are insanely priced. :)

15. 690MBCOMMANDO

690MBCOMMANDO Member

If I were to pay the $100M in postage could you do 10% off on the patches?

16. leeislee

leeislee Member

I think i speak for everyone here when i say:

James, you are a complete and utter shambles

Hugs
    Lee x

17. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

18. leeislee

leeislee Member

what a lovely child

Also, i think his song titles are very revealing...

I Need You So Much
    Taste The Loneliness
    How Come I Don't Have Anyone
    Dark Breathing (probably on the phone to someone)

19. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

And the Second Life photos. . .

Once seen, they cannot thereafter be unseen. You have been warned.

20. leeislee

leeislee Member

"Hmmm, what can i do to wow these potential customers. i need something that will show them i'm at the top of my game, something that screams 'HEY YOU....I'M TOTALLY WHAT YOU NEED RIGHT NOW'.

I've got it, A picture of me butchering an animal and some second life snaps. James...You're on a roll"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.