James Trussart steel guitars..........

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by OldSchool, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mprvise

mprvise Member

Frisco, that guitar is SICK! I notice you're in Dallas - who did you order from? I'm currently considering a Steelcaster.

2. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Call Brandon @ Willcutt's, they had the best deal by far. Good Luck!

3. Arcane-Inc

Arcane-Inc Member

If the pickups have been potted the next most common cause of feedback on the Trussarts are the pickup rings, because they are metal and the body or tops are metal if they become loose they can vibrate and cause feedback. It is also important to use the rubber tubing for the height adjustment instead of metal springs, also because of the metal rings, they come stock with the tubing, but sometimes when people change pickups they put in springs.

4. Grant S.

Grant S. Member

I've loved the look of these guitars ever since I first discovered them...and there are definitely some gorgeous examples on this thread.

Thanks for sharing guys. :dude

One thing I've always wondered is if they have any problems with temperature changes. If I remember correctly compared to wood steel can have a substantially higher coefficient of thermal expansion (depending on its composition). Does this cause any setup/tuning issues with anybody here?

Read a review on HC where some guy complained about this type of thing when gigging. As with anything on HC I took it with a grain of salt but it got me thinking...

5. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

I've never played outdoors in the cold but I did leave my steelcaster out on a stand for nearly two weeks last winter while I was on vacation with the heat off. Room temp was high 50's. The body was cold as hell but played fine after a little fine tuning and acclimation with heat on. No set up or intonation issues.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I just picked this one up!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. v-verb

v-verb Member

Dude....Sweet!!!!!

8. v-verb

v-verb Member

Thanks again - great info!

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Is the back of that guitar wood? Can we get a Pic of the back? Very very cool........:BEER

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

gotta love the steeltop.
    gotta love the skulls.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Yes, its a distressed reddish finish. I don't have the guitar yet, it's being shipped to me today. If you go to the website this guitar is on it and they have pics of the back. I love the Steeltop look!

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Very cool guitar no doubt. :AOK

13. Arcane-Inc

Arcane-Inc Member

I remember this guitar also from when it was coming through the Trussart shop. There are several pix of it in the gallery section of the Trussart web site, it is the first one in the SteelTop section about 3/4 of the way down the page. The neck and body are mahogany and it was a gloss non distressed finish when it left the shop.

http://www.jamestrussart.com/Newsite/GuitarStockArchive.htm

14. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I must post this picture in every Trussart thread. It's like a religious observance or something.

I love this guitar, except for the skinny neck. I've talked to the Trussart folks, and they quoted me $350 for a new, thicker neck. I'd have to send mine back so there're no 'extras' floating about, and either they could just send the new neck back or I could send the whole guitar and they'd do it there (for a fee, naturally.)

The guitar also came with the 6 barrel bridge, and it's back on there now, along with a set of Fralin vintage winds. I also tried the Mares that are now in my Rice -- fantastic sound. The Fralins are just a little more predictable, as they're less prone to microphonics -- good for most guitars, not for a Trussart, ime.

I have no holes on mine (it's a '99, bought from Tonedaddy) and so feedback is definitely an issue, but can be managed. And used to excellent effect.

As for grounding/shielding -- that's one of the best parts of the design! The quietest single coil guitar I've ever used, bar none.

15. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Stunning. Next time I'm LA, I want to give James a visit.

16. jmguitars

jmguitars Member

this thread sapped my remaining will-power to battle GAS ...

I happily resigned myself to placing an order for a Steeptop in Antique Copper w/Roses.

[​IMG]

17. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Is JT using real copper or is he staining/rusting/distressing it to look copper. It makes no difference to me, I'm just curious. I have never played a Trussart I didn't love!

SE
    CI

18. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Great! Another member of the Steeltop club! You're going to love it!
    how long a build time are ya looking at? Who did you order through?

19. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I want one of these so bad. They all look great!!

20. wstsidela

wstsidela Sedulous Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to James' shop next month to talk about my second Trussart. I'll take some pictures.