James Trussart steel guitars..........

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by OldSchool, Jan 14, 2008.

1. WR Guitars

WR Guitars Member

I remember that steeltop!!
    Trussart = Pieces of ART
    enjoy your guitar guys!

2. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

3. JZWest

JZWest Member

Oh Yeah!

4. oscar100

oscar100 Member

like the strat one

5. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Heres a couple videos of me playing my Trussart on a honky tonk gig last weekend... thru a Bogner Shiva with EL's

Ramblin fever by Merle Haggard. (we did it too fast, but I am impressed with the Tele tone out of a steel body guitar!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ0vw2fnuOA

Old Elvis tune.. some good blues pickin on this & cool lap steel solo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhK_Lqm2Gps

Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound (old Hank Williams Jr, honky tonk song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyf45L-uXTc

6. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Member

Hi guys,

Just visited James at his workshop in LA and was blown away. I am thinking of ordering a Steeltop and, since there are not that many owners on the web, I am coming here to ask to the ones that do have a Steeltop a few questions. Please feel free to give me any feedback, that would be greatly appreciated:

For quick context, I am an amateur player (~15 years experience), own a Steelcaster Deluxe (as well as R9 aged Les Paul and Fender CS Strat), play rock/blues/jazz.

*What pickups / pickup configuration would you recommend for the Steeltop? I already have a Les Paul and want to get a different set of tones (I am not into having 2 similar guitars tone-wise). So I am trying to think outside the 2HB box. At the same time, I am not into rockabilly so I am not quite sure whether TV Jones pickups are for me...Any suggestion? HSS? SSH? Arcanes???

*As far as neck shape, what do you guys have? I do like my Steelcaster's thin neck, how do you guys like the fatter neck?

*Ebony fingerboard: Anybody has one? Worth it? Not? Pros/Cons

*Additional features:
    - Bigsby: Since I am going for a different guitar, I was thinking of a B5 bigsby. But does it affect sound/playability?
    - Push/pulls: If I go for HH configuration, it might be worth having splits available on 2 of the knobs. Anything you think adds versatility?

As far as color, cannot decide between the elegant black color, the awesome orange or the cool light green..As for the plate pattern, I love the African pattern. Got to see some templates when visiting James and they are awesome.

Thanks for your help, pictures and comments would really help me in designing this Trussart.

Cheops

7. WR Guitars

WR Guitars Member

Hey there, you say "passive EMG", I can't tell on the picture if it says EMG on the metal covers, but if it does, it is active and there will be a 9V battery in the control cavity (if so, make sure you do not leave it plugged in...) if these are not EMGs, there are Arcane-inc...
    That guitar is awesomely great! just a few made at this point
    Enjoy!!!

8. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

LOVE MY TRUSSART!!

Here is a clip I just recorded with my steelcaster (2nd solo) Recorded direct using a Zoom G3 with no outside processing

LINK: http://snd.sc/uiGRF6